tsentsan

Night Shot:- How Can I Improve This?

Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:43 am

Hi guys,

I photographed this aircraft this morning, and well, looking back now it doesnt look as good as it should have been. Does anybody know any good ways that I could improve this shot (technic wise preferred). I dont think it is good enough for Airliners.net so I wont try to clog the queue with it.

Would appreciate any comments that anybody would have too  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

http://www.tsung.per.sg/ttt/DSC_7613.jpg

Thanks!

Cheers,
Tsentsan
NO URLS in signature

IL76

RE: Night Shot:- How Can I Improve This?

Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:15 am

Perhaps you could try just a little longer exposure? And I see some jaggies from sharpening.
Just curious: Was it shot through glass and was it raining? The glare of the lightingpost looks a bit funny (falling raindrops?) and I see blue spots on the tarmac that look like window reflections... But that's pretty minor stuff.
All in all, nice picture though!
E

n949wp

Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:28 am

Hi Tsentsan,

Suggest that you keep those floodlights that are shining in your direction out of the shot, as they are creating quite a distracting glare to the photo. With that done, you may need to over-expose the shot a fair bit to capture sufficient details, as that 330 seems to be backlit to begin with.

Not sure how practical it is for your situation, but I'd try to find subjects that are "properly" lit by the ramp floodlights. Makes night photography much easier!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alan Tsui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Tsui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Tsui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Tsui

Cheers,
Gordon

ChrisZRH

Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:16 am

i always use a tripod and about 5-30 seconds shutter, depends on the situation, and the results are just fine...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christian Galliker

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christian Galliker

Christian Galliker - AirTeamImages

tsentsan

Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:10 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input, I shot that through glass and after a thunderstorm. The blue dots in the sky I think are a Nikon sensor problem, definately not stars. Perhaps I could rework those exposures since its all on RAW, but doesnt seem to be able to convey the right atmosphere. Specs wise, F/10 30 sec 102mm.

Cheers
-TT
NO URLS in signature