yevgeny

Upload Queue Situation Scary

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:37 am

Upload queue situation is scare me! 14000 photos!!!!
I think the new uploading system with the limits 30 photos doest work at all!!!Now 14000 photos in a queue and will growing to 20000 within two weeks!
Old system with unlimited uploads was much faster and upload queue never go over 5000 photos!
I think is time to change something!
What you think folks?

Yevgeny Pashnin

mikec

RE: Upload Queue Situation Scary

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:43 am

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_photography/read.main/139818/

I think they have it in hand. Plus remember that it's summer so not only are people taking more photos due to nicer weather (well in most places!), but it's also airshow season, and also holiday season - and screeners are entitled to holidays and days off in the nice weather like anyone else. There's no rush and once they have brought more screeners in, it should reduce it somewhat.

I don't think it has anything to do with the 30 upload limit - in fact that will have helped. If the old Q was still here, then people would be in it for weeks and keep readding all their new photos before they got to the front, without limits.

DLKAPA

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:53 am

Well, about the 30. I used to upload and never hit 15 in the q. Maybe it's just cause the summer, but me and other people I know have maxed their limit. Now we have like a weeks wait before we can upload, and believe me, they are piling up over here on my hard drive.

Suggestion: 10 photos upoaded per day. With this limit, the Q should stay pretty stable, and we photographers won't be scrambling for ways to back up all the pics.

Just my .02 rubils.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

cathay112

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:29 am

Drop the maximum allowed photos in the queue at any one time for a photographer to 5 temporarily to ease pressure on the screeners and allow the backlog to be cleared.

I firmly believe the limit should be then raised to 15 when the new screeners are being trained and then subject to change thereafter dependant on the queue size and screener availability.

Temporary drop in queue size with an upload limit varied by the number of photos in the queue at any given time is my suggestion.

eg: 1000 photos waiting - queue limit 30, 2000 photos waiting, queue limit 20, 3000 photos waiting - queue limit 10........ and so on.

Not knocking the screening speed here as they're only volunteers and they have they're own photos to work on too! I think the queue needs to be photographer friendly and screener friendly.

Dehowie

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:47 am

The idea of a limit based on queue size is a good one.
Given the queue spends most of its life hoveringaround the 4000-7000 mark an average limit of 10 for that mark would be a good place to start.
It is flexible,allows for all situations and hopfully will stop people flodding the DB with side shots of aircraft theat already have 100+ shots in the DB.
By making people more selective in their own criteria for what they upload then it will make the queue easier to manage.
Darren
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

clickhappy

Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:00 am

hopfully will stop people flodding the DB with side shots of aircraft theat already have 100+ shots in the DB.

Yeah but how many of those are quality side shots? Exactly.

A clean side-shot is the holy grail, better than most of the crap that gets uploaded.

Anyways, if you look at the new photos added you will see a ton of Biz jets and GA stuff, thats the stuff that needs to be limited.

maiznblu_757

Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:05 am

Biz jets and GA stuff, thats the stuff that needs to be limited.

Says you? HAHA.

I am sure they will take that into consideration.

res

Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:21 am

Royal...

Whats wrong with business jets and g/a aircraft?

-Tim-
FLY NAVY

clickhappy

Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:26 am

Tim - not a darn thing, just seeing people upload tons of them @ the same time.

res

Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:32 am

I better not upload what i've got ready to send in then, huh  Smile

-Tim
FLY NAVY

BO__einG

Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:01 pm

Sickening.. There are so many photos, never seen such an enormous amount to be screened.

We shouldn't upload anymore photos for the rest of the week to give some screeners a chance to process them all.
As for me, yah fine I will send 1 or 2 more taken this week to reach a total of 5 waiting in queue.

Overall.. That is crazy amount.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

N178UA

Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:16 pm

Perhaps limiting the no. of photos a "newbie" (with no photos in db) can upload. There are tons of new digital 300D, D70 users and haven't got much clue about post processing and shooting and flooded the queue and lengthen the process of screening and directly affect other photographers.

And ease the upload limit on some experienced photographer (with 500 photos or more??) since most do self-screen and know what they doing.

Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

maiznblu_757

Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:28 pm

just seeing people upload tons of them @ the same time.

Such is life.

DLKAPA

Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:57 pm

Perhaps limiting the no. of photos a "newbie" (with no photos in db) can upload. There are tons of new digital 300D, D70 users and haven't got much clue about post processing and shooting and flooded the queue and lengthen the process of screening and directly affect other photographers.

And ease the upload limit on some experienced photographer (with 500 photos or more??) since most do self-screen and know what they doing.

And here we have a classic example of the big staying big and the little getting squashed out or overlooked.

I think if there is going to be an upload limit, it needs to be the same no matter what the name of the photographer throughout the queue. I think that I shouldn't have to wait with my limit of 5 photos, while another photographer gets to keep uploading up to 30 ahead of mine.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Bruce

Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:10 pm

I think Yevgeny is exaggerating a bit. I do not think it will rise to 20,000 or that the old system was much faster.

What has changed in my opinion is the availability of fairly cheap high res digital cameras that ANYONE can take a good picture....and the popularity of this site & its pictures is creating many more "wannabe's". I'm not sure anymore what can solve the queue problems....other than constantly adding Screeners but eventually the group of Screeners itself will become too large to manage. After Johan adds more now, the group will number probably 30. I suppose the extra long waits and high quality standards will make it even more of an honorable achievement to be accepted on here.

A lot of screeners have probably taken off and gone to some little airstrip in England to gawk at a bunch of brand new planes...... Big grin
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

jderden777

Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:15 pm

i think there's something wrong with the way its being handled....just adding more screeners to help out the queue? it's going to take a while before the screeners even come into full swing...like i said before it's like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound....(the best analogy i could think of) so the next time the queue gets this high, is a.net just going to add more screeners?

i think the screening process really needs to be looked at again.....maybe the screeners and admin won't agree but honestly, does a photo have to pass through the eyes of 3 experienced screeners (or more!?)...shouldn't the more experienced screeners be able to pass judgment on a photo themselves by now? and if they see it as borderline, why not have another screener (experienced) take a look....that way pics can get screened much faster...

i think there are definitely more options as well that could be considered, like completely separating the myav.net and a.net queues, if its a problem that a lot of people upload to both, knowing that they'll be accepted at myav.net and rejected here at a.net...

just my thoughts though....either way i'll still take my pictures and enjoy this hobby of mine  Wink/being sarcastic
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

QANTAS077

Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:18 pm

the que has almost doubled in less than 6 weeks, if we are at 14000 now then i would hate to think the size in another 2 or 3 weeks! 20000 isn't that far off!

JeffM

Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:31 pm

I guess I'll ask this one again...

What is the rush?

It used to take longer then this just to get your film back from the lab... remember those days? Actually sending off a few rolls to get developed?

Relax and enjoy what your doing and quit worrying about how long it takes the world to see your stuff..

jderden777

Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:38 pm

compared to some...ahem...other sites on the net, a.net has by far the largest queue for photos.....i guess a.net has to be the biggest in all respects!

yeah, i know a.net gets more traffic and more uploads and what not....

honestly i don't care how long it takes for my photos to get screened here....i'm just trying to think of possible solutions...just putting my two cents worth in

jonathan d.

[Edited 2004-07-30 06:39:40]

bigphilnyc

Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:58 pm

I gotta say I agree with what Sam said about giving lower upload limits to newbies.

It's not big deal is you give a newgie a limit of 5, and they just wait a LITTLE longer to get a few more shots. Then once they reach like 20 or so, give them a higher limit like everyone else's.

This prevents the people who flood the extreme crap in the queue. It's doesn't supress or oppress them in any way.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

H. Simpson

Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:26 pm

Well Phil if you give a newb a limit of 5, and after 3 weeks among those 5 there are probably 3 already rejected in first screening, I wouldn't bother with uploading to a.net again

The quick and dirty way to solve the situation is to HIRE MORE SCREENERS! Send email invitations to those "big uploaders"

[Edited 2004-07-30 07:29:10]

bigphilnyc

Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:29 pm

Well waht's the point of putting up 30 if you're not even familair with the standards since newbs don't have a feel yet from getting acceptances?

Maybe a screener can fill us in and give us approximate percentages of how many shots int he d/b are good, how many are absolute garbage, how many are great and so forth.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

OD720

Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:59 pm

Why should be there a different limit for newbies. The bad photos (not necassarily by newbies) are easier to reject and they don't effect the processing times significantly. The better shots are the time consuming ones for the screeners who are doing a great job.

Regards.

Bruce

Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:51 pm

Jeff, when i did prints I used to go to the one hour lab and i always got them back the same day. no waiting.

Dehowie

Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:11 pm

Clickhappy
"A clean side-shot is the holy grail, better than most of the crap that gets uploaded"

Obviously your "Holy Grail" is far from most other aviation photogaphers on the planet if you seriously believe that!!
I encourage you to take a look at some of the Japanese Military slide shooters if you want to see the holy grail as most of what goes through this website and most others is FAR from it.
A side on shot of a target moving at less than 10Kts centre'd with a level horizon as opposed to one moving at 180-450ks centre'd with horizon level?
Mmmm i think i know which is the more difficult shot.
I recommend you start here and you will rapidly revise your definition of the holy grail.
Cheers
Darren

http://park3.wakwak.com/~harry/
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

N178UA

Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:27 pm

Hey Darren

Remember each of us have our preferences!

While I appreciate your comments, but being in the shoes of what Royal said and done many times myself, I found it was indeed quite hard to get the side ons right on slides even with 10Kts or less, harder than most of us can imagine, to be presentable and going into my (or other collector's) slide collection. (under my own tough judgements) The consistency of shooting on a moving plane (and at time moving equipment, clutters) and maintains full frame, centered, exposures and focus is not as easy as one can think! But again I said it was hard coz I try my best to get all side on sunny. No front on or rear on, min clutter etc....well, thats how I recognize and the way I shoot....everyone differs and can agree or disagree with that. I am more of a collector style.

One day we must try to do that together, for fun or whatever....

Of course, action shot is nice and highly sought after! No doubt shooting militaty is no easy task, but again the side on ones is also overlooked! The key is to be consistent.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Sam

For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

willo

Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:50 pm

It sounds like some of the members that are whinging about newbies are trying to create their own exclusive upload club, excluding all those that don't or can't match their own "high" standards. They should remember that many of the newbies are also the viewers that give them their hits and therefore increase their ratings. P*** them off too much and they will go elsewhere - where will your egos, sorry, ratings be then?

Despite its name Airliners.net is an aviation site and if that means that there are pictures of G.A., bizjets, helicopters, then so be it. A lot of people here don't have access to major airports, so shooting at their local small strip is their hobby, are we effectively saying they should be excluded?

People forget that although A.net is very professional in what it does, it is essentially an aviaition hobby site and hobbies should be fun.

Skymonster

Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:22 pm

9462 pictures uploaded in the last week, 3221 pictures accepted, 14075 screenings taken place. Given that almost all accepted pictures are likely to have been through 3 screenings (3221x3=9663), that only leaves 4412 screenings of rejected pictures. 14075-9663=4412... 9462-3221-4412 means that the queue's grown by almost 2000 pictures this last week. OK, not quite accurate because the queue was over 10000 a week ago, but you see the issue - its pretty obvious that screening isn't keeping up with uploads right now by a singificant margin.

Too bad... Screeners have other things to do too. Nothing's going to change in the next few weeks in terms of throughput, because even if the new screeners were appointed tomorrow its going to take time for them to get up to speed.

Major reasons for the queue size are:

1. Northern summer - more people shooting, screeners out on vacation and shooting pics themselves more too. Only new screeners and the onset of the northern fall will aleviate this.

2. Growth in digital - many more people have DSLRs, which its easier to create "acceptable" pictures from. This is going to become an even larger problem as more people convert and can only be fixed by appointing more screeners.

3. Myaviation.net - the upload script makes it easy to upload to airliners.net and myaviation.net at the same time, so many people take a chance and upload to both. We have far far more JUNK in the a.net queue than we ever did before because of this policy. This can only be fixed through a change in the upload scripts.

Andy

[Edited 2004-07-30 10:26:01]
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

ckw

Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:30 pm

Pics make their way through in due course. The big problem in the past was placeholding which meant some pics would get delayed inordinately, and thats been fixed. For stuff that is important, the screeners have shown they can respond to this in a timely fashion. The system is working.

Andy's explanation is straight forward. Its a seasonal blip, which we see every year.

The additional impact of MyAviation is interesting though. Perhaps this should be made an either/or choice, not both. In fact, I can't see any reason why it SHOULD be both - make the photographer decide which he wants to upload to, and if its both, then at least make him/her take the trouble to go through the upload process a 2nd time.

Cheers.

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

willo

Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:54 pm

As suggested, take away the option to submit to both A.net and Myav as this does seem to have made a huge difference to the queue.

Am I right in thinking anyone can upload to A.net? How about making uploads to A.net "members only" and allow non members only access to myav?

If this forum is any guide it would seem that most, if not all, of the good photographers are members and are willing to share their knowledge. Members who are new to the game and are geniunely interested in improving (like me) read the forums and will ask for help knowing that someone will point us in the right direction. And why not give newbies a probationary limit/period? It would make us work harder at getting it right first time and asking for help if we're unsure.

Andrew Scott

cathay112

Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:57 pm

Oh no, the "I'm really good and deserve a higher upload limit than a newbie" crew are out again!!!!

Is there anyone here with the guts to say that they think their pictures are so perfect that they could self screen their shots in every instance to this sites standards and therefore deserve exemption from any upload queue?

I agree with JeffM's comment....

Relax and enjoy what your doing and quit worrying about how long it takes the world to see your stuff

As I've said before, if getting your work on here is so urgent that you have to whinge and whine about queue sizes then you probably should build your own website so that you can upload 3453243234 pictures in one sitting and have them all online instantly.

The screeners do a great job in screening the photos day in and day out. So, rather than come up with crazy suggestions about employing another 500 screeners, giving people with 5 photos or more in the database express priority service or banning anything but airliner shots start putting on those thinking caps and post ideas about how the site can be improved and perhaps can be a little more flexible queue wise. Johan has show us before that he is open to suggestions and Andy's comments sum it up perfectly. The whole myaviation.net thing is something that I'm sure we all believe needs to be reviewed.

If the queue limit was indeed flexible in proportion to the number of images awaiting screening imagine how fast the whole process could become. People who want 24-48hr service would be happy, beginners would be happy and lazy uploaders who just plod along uploading when they have time would be happy. Most importantly the screeners don't face the prospect of a never reducing queue each time they log in. If uploading is a seasonal things linked to Northern/Southern hemisphere climatic changes then perhaps a "seasonal" queue could assist every one of us.

In the modern day and age it's not being able to do one thing that makes something a success. More so it is being flexible enough to do many things catering to many different needs that will bring success.

Skymonster

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:00 pm

If this forum is any guide it would seem that most, if not all, of the good photographers are members and are willing to share their knowledge. Members who are new to the game and are geniunely interested in improving (like me) read the forums and will ask for help knowing that someone will point us in the right direction

Actually, the vast majority of contributing photographers DO NOT visit this forum at all, and a fair proportion of the rest do not visit it on a regular basis. That's why various requests and guides put out on this forum appear to fall on deaf ears, and why we get innundated with e-mail requests thah would have been unnecessary had the photographers concerned first read the guidance that is available here. Furthermore, and sadly, there is evidence to suggest that the increasing prevalence of agressive and/or meaningless topics on this forum these days is also driving away some of the previously regular and valuable contributors.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

wietse

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:28 pm

Oh no, the "I'm really good and deserve a higher upload limit than a newbie" crew are out again!!!!

Uhhh nope that is backwards to what we are saying. I dont deserve a higher upload limit, they just need to prove themselves. I agree completely with Sam and Phil.
Wietse de Graaf

cathay112

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:51 pm

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one then. I see what you are saying but....

When I see a statement like this "And ease the upload limit on some experienced photographer (with 500 photos or more??) since most do self-screen and know what they doing" I tend to think that someone thinks they deserve a higher upload limit. I must stress Sam was speaking collectively for those people with over 500 photos and he's more than entitled to say that, but as one of those people I honestly wouldn't want to be treated any differently to a new uploader who for all intensive purposes might be a better photographer than any of us who just doesn't quite have the nack of post processing yet. Can hardly call someone of that calibre a "newbie" can you?

A flexible limit on the number of uploads (depending on queue size) would nearly eliminate the need for the raising or lowering of an individuals limit would it not? After all if there is only 500 shots in the queue and any individual uploads a batch of poor images (by airliners.net standards - I stress that because I dare not detract from the photographers opinion that his/her photo is great, we're all entitled to be proud of our own work regardless of anothers percieved quality of it) that uploader could easily be banned for an amount of time prescribed by the administrator of this site....... and this would be appliciable to you, me and every other user of this site. And with more screeners coming onboard I'm sure that the queue would stay consistently low with this flexible limit.

timdegroot

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 pm

I can assure you that having a number of photos in the database has nothing to do with rejection rates. Surely we get the odd uploader now and then who has no clue about the standards here, but the bulk of all rejections are from photographers who have lots of shots in the db.

Tim
Alderman Exit

Dehowie

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:04 pm

G'day Sam
Yes i am looking forward to cathing up with you at some point soon.
I missed you the other night after the UAL thing as i had already been and gone over at Barton Park.
OK.I have no problem with side on's at all and yes they are difficult to take on slide film.
My point was with Clickhappy's comment about a side on being the "Holy Grail" of photography.Clearly its overrating both the style and difficulty to say something like that.As i have shown there are people around the world who are far better than most of us taking far better shots than most of us in far mor difficult situations.
I just use some of these awesome Japanese slide shooters as an example of how much more difficult it can get than a side on A320 sitting on the ramp.
Given just how hard slide photography is action slide photography takes it to another level.
Anyway my vote in the queue situation is still for a variable upload limit based on queue size.
See you soon
Darren

PS Something else which also which has been implemented is that each reject lowers your upload limit for a set time frame.
IE If everyone has an upload limit of 30 pics then each reject lowers that by say 2 shots for the next 30 days.
Makes people alot more prudent in uploading.

[Edited 2004-07-30 14:07:30]

mhodgson

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:08 pm

May I make a suggestion, that the HQ queue is reduced to two screening, or that the direct add feature is used more? I appreciate that this may cause more borderline photos in the database, but if the third screener is not screening a photo for it's third time then more can be recieveing a first screening, thus moving the queue faster.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

sulman

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:10 pm

Andy,

Your comments regarding the forum are interesting - perhaps the new monthly email will help as I recall the sensor dust issue was mentioned in it.

It can seem a little adversarial on here occassionally, but maybe that's because there is a competitive element to what we do. For the most part, I find people pretty helpful.

The non-aviation forum, however, terrifies me  Smile
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

JeffM

Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:14 pm

" I used to go to the one hour lab and i always got them back the same day. no waiting."

LOL Bruce, yes I know what your talking about in regards to the one hour lab... but I guess I am talking even before that. I forget many of you are much younger then my 44 years. A few guys older then me will recall what I am talking about. In the 60's and 70's it was common to send your film off either via the mail, or by dropping it off at a drug store, and then waiting a week to get a batch of 3.5"x5" prints or a box of slides.

pepef

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:15 am

Upload every shot that is not totally terrible to MyAv.net and write a script that automatically goes through each days uploads and transfers the pictures with most views to A.net the next day.

The screeners would have the power to browse MyAv.nets uploads and transfer additional pictures at their discretion.

The First Class and Premium members would have the power to suggest to the screeners the upgrading of shots from MyAv.net to A.net, taken by fellow photographers (not their own shots).

The non-paying public could sign on as Premium or First Class members if they don't like the previous sentence.

The site gets money from new Premium and First Class members.

No queue, no waiting and everyone gets to participate  Smile/happy/getting dizzy .

-Peter F-

Bruce

Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:03 am

I didn't stop to realize that a big chunk of the queue is shots going to myaviation - I wonder how many in the queue are uploads to a.net ONLY?

Perhaps seperating the two queues would be an idea. Plus, I don't like the idea of uploading to BOTH. I really don't. If a picture is good enough for the main database, why the heck would you want it on the other?? And if you upload to both because you are not sure if it will make onto the main db, then a little more self-screening is in order....upload to a.net only and see what the decision is, then go for myaviation.

Maybe seperate the queues and dedicate a screener(s) to only myaviation's queue?????

bruce

Skymonster

Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:28 am

I didn't stop to realize that a big chunk of the queue is shots going to myaviation - I wonder how many in the queue are uploads to a.net ONLY?

Lets be clear about this... If a photographer uploads to MyAviation.net only, we never see it. So all those pictures uploaded only for my.net don't impact the a.net queue size. However, we believe that the amount of JUNK in a.net's queue is down to a significant proportion of photographers clicking on the "both" [a.net and my.net] option when they upload - after all, what have they got to loose putting their pics in the a.net queue too, as the worst that can happen is that they get rejected by a.net and end up on my.net (which is where they expect them to be anyway).

Andy

apuneger

Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:51 am

Hello,

Yes, it's true indeed that the queue is definitely quite high, probably because of the reasons Skymonster mentioned, not so much because of the new upload limitations. Not much we can do about it, unless maybe something radical (no, I don't mean inventing weather machines and turn all weather at airports into thunderstorms, fog, rain, etc...).

It's certainly true that, because of the low prices for 'entry-level' DSLR's and digital camera's as a whole, more and more people get one and start taking digital pictures of aircraft, followed by uploading them to Airliners.net, thinking they're the next Sven De Bevere or Joe Pries (well, maybe they ARE, but that's not the point).

Has Johan (aka 'administrator') and the rest of the Airliners.net crew ever though of - oh oh, here it comes - charging people for their pictures being hosted on Airliners.net? I'm not mentioning anything about how to charge people, but just making Airliners.net not free anymore . Personally, I can imagine that this solution would be a bit too drastic at this time and maybe it's totally off course when it comes to the policy of this website and the reason for being online in the first place (a photographic database of aircraft).

Greetings,
Ivan

PS: 27 pictures in the queue myself...
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Skymonster

Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:06 am

Ivan,

Great idea that has been discussed before. Sadly, whilst a significant number of photographers who contribute here are happy to be here whilst the site hosts their images for free (and are happy to take money from any photo sales that they get as a result of their images being on the database), they're not prepared to pay for the service. Even though I think that the long-term end-game for ANY successful site will be to charge in one way or another, I think it would be very courageous of the owners of this site to make such a move to charging right now given that there are other sites available that will still host their images without charge.

Andy

apuneger

Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:32 am

Andy,

That's basically my idea as well. If Airliners.net would start charging on whatever basis, there's indeed a risk of loosing some great, highly skilled photographers who just don't want to pay as well as the fact that, as you mentioned, competing websites could attract those photographers because they don't. That would be a tough decision for the Airliners.net crew and especially Johan.

Maybe it's time for some sort of 'Airliners.net market research inquiry', sent out to every photographer and asking for their opinion on some 'hot' topics. It's true, some people will say 'A' at that point but eventually decide to do 'B', but that's something you can't prevent that easily.

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

andyhunt
Crew

Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:50 am

To me it is quite simple now, and it was already raised in another reply on this thread. Most of the "senior" screeners have been screening for a few years now and should have the authority to direct add unconditionally. No more "three screeners". I know they have the experience and good judgement to do so.

Unless they are already doing that now, in which case I shall return to my hovel.... Big grin

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

PH-OTO

Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 am

Return to your hovel... Big grin

Wink/being sarcastic Martin
Look very closely between the lines of this message, and you will see the captain beating up the jumpseater

Dehowie

Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:53 am

Andy
Thats a pretty good idea about the direct adding of photo's to senor screeners.
Maybe for guys who have been screening for x amount of time can simply direct add.
That in its own right would cut screening time by 60% for many of you.
Darren

jderden777

Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:37 am

yeah, that's what i stated in reply 15 above...nobody paid any attention though

the more experienced screeners should be able to screen a photo here by themselves...this in itself would probably make the process go by noticeably faster

jonathan d.

saxdiva

Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:27 pm

As one of the "newbies," (I've got seven accepted out of 14 shots uploaded), I felt I should weigh in with my opinion about lower upload limits for people of my ilk...

...it sounds like a good place to start.

Being completely honest for a moment, people like me--who are new to aviation photography--really *shouldn't* be putting 30 images into the queue at once. If you do that, you:

1. don't get the advantage of using feeback from shots 1, 2, and 3 to improve your subsequent uploads, and;
2. have little incentive to carefully self-screen.

Now I'll admit that my overall 50% rejection rate is a bit high, considering I'm not new to photography. Big moving objects present challenges that you don't encounter when you're used to photographing landscapes and buildings. But I've improved a LOT since those first few uploads, and it's mostly because I'm self-screening like mad (I don't think I've ever had more than about 5-6 shots, total, in the queue at once) and using the wait time to look at everyone else's work. It helps.

Alternately, an upload limit based on some sort of point system--maybe a combination of the number of shots in the DB and a ratio of rejects to acceptances--might get people to be more selective.

Just some food for thought,
-Leanne