pumaknight

Is This Worth Uploading?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:42 am

Hi all,

Well I am desperately trying to up my photoshop skills to allow a photo to be accepted. Granted I have only submitted 6 to date, but all have been rejected. The screeners have commented that this is down to contrast or other items I have played around with in Photoshop. So your help would be very much appreciated to see if I can nail this down.

(uncompressed image below in link Thanks!)

I think I am happy with the framing and topic (straight out of the camera) but any feedback in this area would be really appreciated. I consider myself a beginner to the world of Airline photography. I have also included a link to few RAW straight out of the camera photos if you want to have a look and offer me some advice on post processing or just photography in general I would be very grateful. I am really wanting to learn. I know the weather wasn't ideal........Here's hoping the advice isn't sell your Camera!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pumaknight/Images/
Thanks!

[Edited 2004-08-02 21:43:22]
NO URLS in signature

ChrisH

RE: Is This Worth Uploading?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:55 am

Sharpness is OK, but it's a little dark and slightly too contrasty. Weather could've been better of course but I think with a little work it might get in.
what seems to be the officer, problem?

Erwin972

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:58 am

I couldn't find a link to any RAW files, so I used your JPG to play around for one minute if you don't mind (hope you don't mind).

With a few post-processing tricks I think you could improve the picture. I cropped tighter, pulled out some more detail in shadow, sharpened a little (almost too much) did some color adjustments.

Kind regards,
Erwin
My gear: Nikon, Sony, Red, Sachtler etc.

ChrisZRH

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:58 am

just upload and you'll see
Christian Galliker - AirTeamImages

willo

Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:54 pm

Pumaknight is absolutely right to ask for help if he's unsure. just upload and you'll see is precisely what's clogging up the queue - for the sake of a couple of posts and what's been learnt, this picture now stands a better chance of being accepted straight off.

pumaknight

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:08 am

Thanks Erwin. No don't mind at all. Sorry didn't mean RAW but unprocessed JPGs.

Does look better. At least I know it is my photshop skills. Can you tell me what you did (hope it's not too complicated) to pull out the detail in shadow. I get the rest, need practice though  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Thanks and cheers for taking the Time to reply all.
NO URLS in signature

Erwin972

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:47 am

For pulling out some detail in shadows you can practice with the dodge tool.

I bought a little automated script for CS from Fred Miranda's software called SR Pro, and that does a very good job on shadow recovery on your whole image.

For color adjustment I used a channel mixer layer and added 10% to every channel, just play with it.

The sky was selected and copied onto another layer and I added some more contrast.

Kind regards,
Erwin
My gear: Nikon, Sony, Red, Sachtler etc.