scottieprecord

Store-Brand Lenses Vs. Name-Brand

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:44 am

I currently have two Quantaray lenses (Ritz Camera Store-Brand). One is a 28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens, and the other a 70-300 1:4-5.6 Zoom Lens. My pictures always seem to come out just a tad blurry, they even seem blurry when I'm looking through the view-finder.

I was wondering if the optics are to blame and if buying a more expensive, name-brand lens would help; or if there are other things I need to work on.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

maiznblu_757

RE: Store-Brand Lenses Vs. Name-Brand

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:51 am

I was wondering if the optics are to blame and if buying a more expensive, name-brand lens would help

Yes and yes.

Lets see some of your photos.

scottieprecord

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:04 pm

Here is a great example of what I'm talking about. It's just not quite there... This is after doing what I know how to do on Photoshop. I have 6 pages of photos on MyAv.net and only 9 shots in the A.net database. It's getting just a slight bit frustrating.
MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Michael Paschal

N317AS

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:54 pm

As Chad said; yes and yes. IMO Quantaray blows. Not just for optics, but quality of manufacturing also. Again just my opinion, if you can't buy Nikon or Canon glass at least buy Tamron or Sigma. Tamron and Sigma are better than Quantarayand I would go Tamron first. But if your shooting Canon (as you should be) "L" glass is the way to go. If you can afford it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Sukhoi

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:05 pm

I dont think the shot of the Rutan thingy is too bad.

A little soft but thats all I could really fault it on optically. Shame about the stakes in the ground they kind of detract from the aircraft.

I dont know the Quantary brand but its worth upgrading to Sigma or Tamron by the sounds of it.

Cheers

Paul

sulman

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:10 pm

Michael,

Yes, better glass will give you improved results. I like your pictures on myav - the framing's good and there's lots of interesting things to see. San Antonio certainly looks like an interesting place.

Given that not everyone is in a position to lay down wads of cash on equipment, see what you can do with your existing kit. It looks like you are suffering a bit quality wise. Have you tried the usual tricks? Staying at F8 and above? Avoiding the long-end of the lens?

Also, I couldn't see many signs of sharpening on the images - theres a few that would benefit from some careful USM.

Have fun,

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

bezoar

Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:43 pm

I thought Quantaray was made by Sigma. Any truth to that?
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

clickhappy

Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:38 am

Sigma produces lenses for a lot of companies, including Nikon.

And just like Canon or Nikon, there is good Sigma glass, and no-so-good Sigma glass.