patroni

Photoshop Elements

Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:02 am

Hello,

I am using Photoshop Elements 2.0 which came together with my Camera. In general I am quite satisfied with it, except one thing that I could not solve yet:

How do I keep the 1.5:1 width/height ratio of the pictures when cropping? I know that I can set a width of, say, 1024 pix and a height of 683 pix in the crop tool, but how can I use it just with a ratio of 1.5:1, regardless how big the size will be? E.g. if I want to crop but keep the current size of the cropped portion.

Have looked at the help file but as I don't know which technical term to look for, the help was rather useless for me  Sad

Any suggestion?

Cheers,
Thomas

futterman

RE: Photoshop Elements

Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:19 am

Thomas,

Try holding down 'Shift' when dragging the corners. It should preserve all the whatchamacallit ratios.  Big grin

Brian
What the FUTT?

patroni

Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:48 am

Thanks Brian,
but nope, doesn't work for me..... It keeps the ratios nicely even without pressing shift when I entered the values in the box. But without this, no solution so far...

Cheers,
Thomas

Kereru

Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:16 am

Thomas,

You should be able to select Constrained Aspect Ratio in a field on your tool bar when you have the crop tool selected. Then there will be two boxes next to it where you can enter 1.5 to 1 etc. There is a normal setting as well I think. I have an early version of Photoshop so may be a little different layout.
Search for Constrained Aspect Ratio in the help menu if the above doesn't work.

Cheers,
Colin
Good things take Time.

patroni

Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:00 am

Colin,

aaaah... actually quite easy! Thanks to your help I knew what words to search for and found the solution. Great, thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Thomas