QantasA332
Topic Author

Photo Usage Help, Please...

Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:01 am

I just received an email requesting the use of the following photo of mine:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © G.P.K.S.

The owner of the aircraft ("Southern Wings Ltd") wanted to use it, probably for promotional material. I'm completely new to this photo usage game, so:

Would their using my photo warrant any payment, or just my permission?

If payment is appropriate, how much should I ask for? Could someone please post a link to that payment reference guide website?

What means of getting the money are usually used? Cheque, cash...?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
QantasA332

kc7mmi

RE: Photo Usage Help, Please...

Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:12 am

You should probably ask for a minimum of $50...depending on the usage, you might ask for more. Just keep in mind, if you cheat yourself of money, then you also cheat your fellow photographers.

runway23

Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:27 am

Most logical thing to do would be to actually ask the person what he intends to use your photo for. Remember that the specific usage of your photo will determine the price (i.e. the time rights, publishing type and amount, etc...).

Regarding to the payment method I would only look at that in the end, the standard is to pay using cheques but paypal and cash are sometimes used and some clients may ask for an invoice.

T.

Interpaul

Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:45 am

Jofa

Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:01 am

QantasA332
First, always make sure you know what your picture will be used for and how many copies. Based on that information you set a price and sell a license stating that (what they may use your image for). If the person who ordered the image wants to use it again for other purposes than stated in the first usagelicense he/she must then contact you again so you can make out a new license.

QantasA332
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:57 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I have replied to the email asking for specifics of the use my photo will be put to, so I'll get back to you all on that. And thanks Interpaul, that's the site I was looking for.

So I should write up some sort of contract ("I hereby authorize the use of my photo of ZK-MIL by 'Southern Wings Ltd.,' for XX number of panflets/brochures/etc.," or something like that?  Laugh out loud) and have them sign a copy and send it to me with the money?

Thanks again!
Cheers,
QantasA332

Jofa

Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:18 pm

Yeah, an invoice. If you google for "invoice" im sure you can find a template, unless someone here is kind enough to post their.  Smile
Good luck!