DLX737200

Film And Airliners.net

Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:59 pm

Hi everyone. I use a 300D but a friend of mine uses a Canon Rebel Film camera and wants to try eventually uploading some of his shots to this site. However, is it even possible to get film pictures accepted on here anymore? Usually film scans come out with more grain, noise, and softness than digital shots do. It wasn't all too long ago when the only stuff uploaded WAS film but now that everyone and their brother has a DSLR, it is becoming more and more rare to see. Thanks for any input!

-Justin

pepef

RE: Film And Airliners.net

Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:38 pm

He needs to scan the negatives. Quality should be good enough if the scanner is a dedicated film scanner and not a flatbed.

-Pepef-

Ljungdahl

Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:50 am

All of my uploads here to A.net are slides, shot with an old Canon AE-1 and scanned with a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual.

To see the photos, just check the link in my profile.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
/Johan

spacecadet

Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:05 am

Film is still higher resolution than even the highest consumer-range DSLR's (I believe the highest resolution digital camera you can buy is in the 200 megapixel range, but obviously that's not practical for most people, even professionals). There should be no reason the quality of a film scan should be lower than a digital photo except for a bad scanner.

Scanning takes some skills and it also requires a halfway decent scanner. You can get good scans, though, from even a $150 consumer flatbed with a transparency adapter (this is what I scan with). A true negative scanner is better, I'm just saying it's not required for "good" scans. You will just need to do more post-processing work on your photos and they may not be quite as sharp, unless you get a scanner that supports focus adjustments.

Make sure your friend uses the highest settings possible on his/her scanner to get the most out of the negatives/slides. That means highest optical resolution, 16bpp color depth, save as tif using Adobe RGB color profile if your scanner supports it - if not, whatever equivalent there is. Just don't start out with sRGB; convert photos to that later when you save the jpg for upload. Do multi-sampling on photos you really want the best quality from to eliminate digital noise.

There are lots of web pages out there that will help your friend get the best quality scans possible. With a decent scanner and some practice scanning he/she should actually be able to get more detail and higher quality out of his film photos than most people do out of their digital photos.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

kc7mmi

Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:23 am

100% of my shots on a.net are done with film. Of those, 95% of the photos were taken on print film (the rest slides). One thing he can do (what I do) is have the lab scan the negs or slides in at processing. I recommend print film just because it is cheaper to buy and cheaper to scan. Make sure it's a good film like Fuji Reala, something without much grain.

je89_w
Crew

Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:41 am

I use print film as well, and scan the print itself instead of the negative.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/fm752_72604_2.jpg

andyhunt
Crew

Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:01 am

Well you can non-Digital pics onto the database. I have recently been looking through my old slides from Kai Tak (before Digital Big grin ) and Singapore, and managed quite a high acceptance rate:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

To give but a few examples!

Regards

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

martinairyyz

Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:03 am

What scanner is recommended for negatives? Something that can get me A/net acceptance frequently (with good and focused shots ofcourse) and is relatively cheap.

Cheers
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

spacecadet

Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:17 pm

If you want good and cheap, check out the Minolta Dimage IV.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!