vir380

Manchester MHT

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:26 am

Hi all .... im on vacation in the USA at the moment and am looking for any guides to MHT Manchester Airport from a photography point of view  Smile

any pointers or guides would be appreciated ....

Will be going there tmrw 4th Sept ..

thanks in advance

Tony
Moved away from this lost website to better things !

goboeing

RE: Manchester MHT

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:36 am

I might be there with some friends at 1700 today. Runway 35 is used most when the wind is calm and traffic is medium to heavy. It's being used today. You can park at a pet cemetery and get a great view right down the entire runway and the planes go almost directly over you--only a few feet off center. If you walk or park in the paved circle that doesn't go anywhere, you will be speaking to a police officer if they see you. However, if you spot from the pet cemetery they leave you alone.

Runway 24 has excellent spots on both sides. There are small hills that go above the runway, and you are VERY close to the airplanes. This could be one of the closest spotting locations in any major airport. Runway 24 is used less than 35, however, so days when you can sit there are not as common.

17 and 6 are not great...you can't get close to the airplanes, although 17 is the one closest to the actual "spotting" parking lot. You can't see anything good from it. Fences in the way, etc. 6 is not used much, but when it is it's fun to go to the threshold at night and stand at the fence at the base of the rock hill and watch them go over VERY low. The runway is much closer than normal and they pass over you at what looks like the same height that is seen at St. Maarten.

Have a good time, let me know when you end up going there...maybe I'll see you. Look for some college kids, one with a ridiculous zoom lens who is real short.

Nick

vir380

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:08 am

Nick thanks for the info .... you say you are very close to the traffic at the cemetery.. would that be so close that you only get underneath shots ?

im ideally looking for side on head on or quarter on shots not so close that ill be under the aircraft ...

I will be there tomorrow ( sat)

regards Tony

Moved away from this lost website to better things !

BA747-436

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:10 am

Ive flown out of there on a US Dash8 into New York, i had the whole plane to myself. Not sure what the airport is like for photos though
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer

goboeing

Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:40 am

These were taken from the cemetery area:

http://myaviation.net/?pid=00168883

http://myaviation.net/?pid=00114326

Nick