syncmaster

CVG Spotting?

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:58 am

As you all should gather from my signature, I'm a fairly large DL fan, and live fairly close (5 to 6 hours) from CVG.

What's the best spot or spots to spot at CVG? (Any information online would be great)

Also, what's the best spot to stay? (I've been looking at the Hilton and Marriot)

Thanks,

-Charlie

portcolumbus

RE: CVG Spotting?

Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:47 am

The observation area at CVG is superb. However, the lighting really is only good in the morning. I've seen photos from the parking garage, which should be better for the afternoon/evening.

Bruce

Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:11 am

I am the one who is uploading the recent ( 8/17) photos from CVG. Yes, there is a observation area and light for photos is good in the morning - it faces west. However be aware that for photos you will probably need 300mm zoom or more. I uploaded a bunch from there in August 2003.

Now the parking garage is a different story. It faces east, so go in the afternoon and it is near the end of the runway and very near the Delta maintenance hangar. You can shoot with less than 300mm. Late afternoon is best there because of the departure queue especially if they land or operate on 18L (to the south). There are 2 taxiways and during the evening rush both are backed up with planes!

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

syncmaster

Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:55 pm

Thanks Bruce! I forgot you had gone there (I'm the guy you emailed about SBN).

Do either of you know of any information on the observation area or should I contact CVG Airport Authority?

Bruce

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:17 pm

Like what about it do you want to know...... how to get there?

location is on my planespotting page of my site. I have not updated it to include the garage...

http://www.bruceleibowitz.net/planespotting_cvg.htm

bruce

syncmaster

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:23 am

Thanks....that's what I wanted more or less how to get there. Appreciate your help!  Smile

law4fun

Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:49 am

The Comair parking lot on the West side of the airport is also a good spot. I have numerous images over on the "other site" taken from both sides of the airport. The parking garage is by far the best for the early evening widebody 18L departures...
Just do a search for Jim Hadley over there and you can see the variety of shots available from CVG. The observation area is a great spot...watch out for the airport police however....On August 7, I was sitting on top of my suburban to avoid the fence and they spent 45 minutes with me trying to determine if I was a camera toting terrorist.
Canon Shutter Slut

Bruce

Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:28 am

I cant tell which of your pics are from the "comair" parking lot, Jim. what direction does it face? Did you get hassled since it was Comair property?

syncmaster

Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:27 am

When I search for your pics all I'm bringing up is one's from TUL. I think I'm missing something?

law4fun

Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:10 am

Bruce wrote:
I cant tell which of your pics are from the "comair" parking lot, Jim. what direction does it face? Did you get hassled since it was Comair property?

Bruce,
They were facing west and shooting arrivals and departures going from left to right or south to north. Most are identified with 18R or 36L. They did not bother me once...numerous times the airport police drove by on the access road within the fence lines and would generally wave at me. Likewise with Comair employees...since I was at the very edge of the parking lot (next to the fence line), they would come and go and generally would either wave or walk over and take a look at some of the prints that I had in a book from the previous day's photo expedition. Go figure why the "3rd degree" while in the public observation area and nothing on the other side in the parking lot.

Syncmaster,
Try the jetphotos.net site. They are all located there. Email me at okairpix@sbcglobal.net and I can give you a link to them.
Canon Shutter Slut