work4bmi

Unsharp Mask - Lost Settings

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:22 am

Hello, just a quick one! I had to re-install my Adobe software and forgot to jot down the unsharp mask tool settings that I "used"... I was just wondering what you use, so I can tinker on my images and see what looks best (again)

Thanks,

Aaron
Fly Around The World : Above & Beyond

Go3Team

RE: Unsharp Mask - Lost Settings

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:25 am

For me, 1 setting did not work on all my pictures. Some would be 200, and others would be below 100. I just depended on how it looked when I got done. But then again, with my rejection rating, I need some work too.
Yay Pudding!

sesd97

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:31 am

Hi ... I use 30%, 0.3 radius and 0 levels .... click multiple times till jaggies appear and then back-off a few times till sharp .... hope this helps, Shaun

Skymonster

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:37 am

100 (or thereabouts, depending on each picture), 0.7, 1 - wham, bam, thankyou mam! Big grin

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

DLKAPA

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:56 am

hehe

500%, .5 Radius, 5 Levels.

100% acceptance on last batch.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

siggi757

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:03 am

Hi.

USM can also be used to increase the dynamic range in ones pictures. In other words to get rid of the gray dullness (lacking better words) and give pictures that extra kick.

I got this setting from the brilliant website www.luminous-landscape.com.

Set radius to 50 pixels, threshold to 0 and experiment with the amount until your picture looks good. Usually amount of 5-10 % gives good results.

For sharpening I first resize the picture to desired size and then set radius to
0.2 pixels and threshold to 0. Then I adjust the amount to desired setting. I find that 3 applications of amount 100% gives better results than 1 application of amount 300%.

Try the dynamic range method. You won't be disappointed.

Best regards,

Siggi Ben  Smile

Dehowie

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:16 am

No one rule is a good way to sharpen as its a pretty powerful tool.
Canon 10D's require more hsharpening as they produce softer images but conversly these images allow far more sharpening.
I use Focalblade a plugin which allows you to shepen edges and surfaces seperately and is well worth the price and then some.
I apply 400,0.1,0 to edges and 100,0.1,0.
The advantage of the Canon here is it allows between 3-5 passes with those setiings and very little noise but you could not do that with normal USM because it hits the entire picture not just the edges.
The extra flexibility allows you to get crisp edges yet avoid noise buildup in open surface area's.
Probebly the best tool i have ever seen for PS.
Darren
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

aviopic

Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Darren got a point with his statement.
USM works on a difference in contrast and because noise is exactly that there is always a chance to increase noise levels while applying USM.
In other words get your levels and contrast right then remove noise before any USM is applied.
For that i use Fred Miranda's noise remover and sharpening pro which gives you a lot more control and better results in the end.

The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

work4bmi

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:59 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the replies folks! I cant wait to get my inages tweaked with some of these suggestions. I am set to get my 20D Saturday, so I hope to produce some good results.

Continue with other advise if possible though, as am sure others apart from myself will gain some good knowledge/tips from the input.

Thanks,
Fly Around The World : Above & Beyond