ua935

Levelling Help-Please

Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:26 am

Evening,

I am new to photoshop CS and really need some assistance with rotating and levelling shots.

How do I use the grid which everyone talks about?

Is there a simple way to rotate and level photos, I realise that this must seem a simple task to most of you out there but I am having some difficulty, I really would appreciate some help.

How much and which way should I rotate the following rejection?

http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=japan20007.jpg

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks Simon.

Live every second like you mean it

skyliner

RE: Levelling Help-Please

Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:35 am

In Photoshop Elements, select "rotate" in the "image" portion of the toolbar, and then "custom" within "rotate", specifying the number of degrees, and direction (right or left) that it looks like it would take to get the shot level. It's possible to use fractional degrees (0.5 or 1.7, for example) although that may be more fine-tuning than necessary. It may take several tries to get the image where you want it, and then you will need to re-crop, since the overall image has been tilted.
As for "grid", this places a cross-hatched (vertical/horizontal) pattern across the image which can be used to check for perpendicular horizon or verticals. Accessed in PS Elements via the "view" portion of the toolbar, and toggles on/off.
Hope this is helpful.
George

Lindy

Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:38 am

I'm just guessing here but in this case you should rotate this picture about 0.4 CCW. Its just a guess. But use a grid for final rotation.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

timz

Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:52 am

Yeah, that shot doesn't look objectionably unlevel, does it?

So how do you check it once you've got the grid? If you can assume those lines on the terminal are in fact vertical, then you align the one at the center of the frame with the grid. Remember, if the lens axis is pointed below the horizon the vertical lines don't appear parallel on the image-- but if a vertical line at the center of the frame is perpendicular to the top edge of the frame then I guess that makes the camera "level", by definition.

lewis

Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:26 am

Try this:

In the PS CS toolbar keep the eyedropper button pressed until you get two more options and then select the MEASURE TOOL,then drag the pointer over a line/pole/whatever that should be completely vertical in your photo. Now rotate the image Arbitrarily and will see that the degrees field hasalready been filled.

kc7mmi

Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:35 am

Yes, all the vertical lines in the photo should be as vertical as possible. Sometimes the outter vertical lines lean inwards (depends on the lens) but that doesn't seem to be a problem with this photo. Just rotate it CCW a bit.

Woody001

Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:37 am

Yep, rotate anti-clockwise 0.37deg.

As Lewis has said above - pick the measure tool from the toolbar and drag along a vertcal axis. Then go Image - Rotate - Arbitrary, it will have the amount loaded up ready for you.

Ian.
If I could just get the afterburner working...

andrewuber

Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:17 am

Great shot, I concur with the CCW rotation suggestions, and may I suggest a tiny bit of contrast enhancement?

Keep up the good work!

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

ua935

Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:19 am

Thanks for all your help guys, sorted.

Regards Simon.
Live every second like you mean it

javibi

Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:04 am

You might want to check this out and keep it for future reference, another forum member graphically explains the use of the measure tool:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_photography/read.main/76567/6/