malandan

Laptop For Travelling

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:42 am

Something which may be of interest to others.

I off shortly for an extended holiday in Australia and intend to buy a laptop for editing, displaying and the storage of digital photographs, and also for emailing and even maybe uploading to Airliners, subject to the limitations of the PC screen of course.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive and lightweight computer suitable for these purposes preferably with a Compactflash card port?

Any related suggestions/comments welcomed.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
My interest lies in the future as I am going to spend the rest of my life there!

ckw

RE: Laptop For Travelling

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:54 am

For a while I used a little Sony Viao (and still do occasionally) which was great in terms of size and weight with a CF card adaptor. Unfortunately the quality of the screen was totally unsuited for serious editing, and I've yet to see a small laptop that would do the job. There are some lovely models out there with excellent 17 in screens, but this rather defeats the portability issue.

In your situation, I'd go for the small laptop which will meet most of your needs, but leave critical editing and A.net uploads til you get home.

I would also seriously consider incorporating a CD burner - lets face it, all manner of disasters could befall the laptop ... it would be nice to know that all those images are safely stored on CDs.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

draigonair

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:13 am

I think Dell has some nice ones  Smile but when i go on vacation i usually wait till im home to upload!

cheers and good luck

Nick
cheers

malandan

Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:09 am

Thanks Nick & Colin.

Yes, you are right, a CD burner would prove very useful to provide a back-up. But I will be away for up to 3 months and so I may not have the patience to wait until returning home. I also may have access to a desktop PC for some of the time but the quality is as yet unknown.

I have also learn't that you can buy backpacks with a compartment for a laptop so may invest in a new camera bag for the new DSLR as well at the same time.

I will certainly look at Sony and Dell.

Appreciated,

Malcolm.
My interest lies in the future as I am going to spend the rest of my life there!

LHSebi

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:08 am

Malcom,
If you are looking at sonys, may I suggest you look at one with one of those new x-black screens! They are amazing, and even though they may not be the smallest ones out there, you will definitely not regret buying it! Go out to a shop, and see what I mean...those screens are wonders!

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

mdwalkman

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:29 am

agree with LHsebi.

Almost all my photos were edited on my "bulky" Sony Vaio. The "Onyx-black" screen is superb! Very sharp and bright!
Please excuse my poor English.

hawaiian717

Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:43 pm

12" Apple iBook G4. 12" screen, 1024x768. No CF slot so you'll have to settle for using USB or an external cardreader. Does have a CD burner though. 4.9 lbs / 2.2 kg. Staring at £749 including VAT.

Owning a 12" G3 iBook, I can't see wanting something bigger and heavier.

If you want something lightweight and easy to carry, Apple's are some of the best. I've seen some Sony Viao and Fujitsu Lifebooks that are even smaller (about 10" screens) but that screen size might be a bit uncomfortable.

David / MRY

ua935

Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:37 pm

I have literally just placed an order for a Dell 1150.

They have currently got a sale on with free delivery and discounts.

£541.00 not bad money for a 15" screen, 512mb Ram.

Looks like it should do the job.

Regards Simon
Live every second like you mean it

LHRsunriser

Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:08 pm

I am just going to take my computor i think. Plug it in and take an adapter when i go with my mum to LHR. Heavy but should work. Since i only have one card and battery for the 300D
Getting back into it

malandan

Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:06 pm

Thanks all for the advice.

Simon,

Have looked at the Dell site which shows the 1150 at £591. Are you buying from this source?

Also, do you have the size as I plan to buy camera/laptop bag.

Thanks,

Malcolm.

BA747-436

Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:38 pm

Personaly i woulnd't use a laoptop for photos editing. The results have been far from satasfactory.
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer