Thom@s
Topic Author

My Nightmare... Sorry, Nightshot Dilemma.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:39 pm

I'm planning on doing some nightshots next week, but the problem is I can't deceide on which camera to bring. And the worst part is they're all most likely not suitable for the job.

I have my "primary weapon" the Panasonic Lumix 3.2 MP digiccam, which I don't think has the possibilty to set shutterspeed manually.  Sad

I have an old Olympus Camedia 2.5 MP digivam with maximum 8 sec shutter (or is the word I'm looking for exposure...?) Anyway.  Smile

And finally I have a good old fashioned Pentax camera for film, with the ability to take up to 2 min long photos. I would think this would be the best option, but I suck at scanning, so the result is not likely to be "a.net good."

Any thoughts? I only wanted to take photos like these...  Smile

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Marco Antonio Silva
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © TZ Aviation

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

mikephotos

RE: My Nightmare... Sorry, Nightshot Dilemma.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:56 am

Thomas,

Is there a reason why you can't take all the cameras with you? I'd say use them all just be sure to bring a steady tripod and if possible, a remote release. If you don't have a remote, then use the self-timer.

Mike

Thom@s
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:24 am

Hmmm, not a bad idea... I'm gonna test out the cameras before I go out there aswell, just to prepare me for what to expect.  Smile

Thanks

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

mygind66

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:13 am

Thomas..one sure thing: you'll have lots of time to take night photos since now until Easter!
Try minolta and the film camera. Try to find someone who can scan the slides for you. I have a minolta scan III and happy with the results until my best friend bought the nikon coolscan 8000....another world...

Enrique

teahan

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:11 am

Hi Thom@s:

Very nice to hear of another person with a Panasonic Lumix. Though I have never tried to take aviation pictures with it, I have always found it produces absolutely stunning nightshots in most situations despite the inability to set shutter speed.

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Thom@s
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:21 pm

Really? Well I shall have to give it a go then.  Smile

Thom@s

Joge

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:34 pm

Thomas,

Take the pics on film now, scan them some other day when your skills are better or when you have a better scanner. You won't lose anything.  Smile

-Joge
Bula!

Thom@s
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:04 pm

That's true. I think I'll take a few shots with all my cameras, and see which ones turn out the best.  Smile

Thom@s

9v-svc

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:35 am

Is it best to use a tripod and with the camara on the tripod ,set the camara withthe correct settings before shooting at the aircraft ?
Airliners is the wings of my life.