707CMF

Rhaa One Of My Pics Got Stolen By A Magazine!

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:27 pm

I was browsing through an aviation magazine at the airport when a picture stroke my eyes. It was very similar to one of my A.net pictures. After bringing the magazine home (and yes, I paid for it), I was able to make a positive match : the picture is indeed mine. (alignments of some details show a perfect match between both pictures).

Now, the issue should be quite straightforward : send an email with an invoice to the the magazine, but it appears that personally, the matter is a bit more delicate.

It happens indeed that I know personally the person who wrote the article. As a matter of fact, she had offered me a ride in her aircraft that day, and the aforementioned picture was taken during this flight. Frankly, had she asked me for unlimited rights to this picture, I would have given them freely as a thanks to the flight. And in the back of my mind, I really believe she retrieved the picture from her archives (I emailed them the picture in question a few days after the flight), without remembering the picture was mine.

Moreover, the world of GA in France is quite a closed one, and I happen to personally know a few staff members of this magazine, including the Chief Editor, and find it quite difficult to rant at them, let alone, invoice them (especially when I am convinced they did not know they did not own the rights for the picture).

Actually, my biggest grief is to have my picture published without my knowledge (I had to buy a magazine to find it by chance), and especially not having my name credited alongside it (the header of the article says “Photographies : DR”, which I assume means “Photographies : reserved rights”)

So guys, I am dropping that burden on you more experienced than me : what should I do ?

Cheers,

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: Rhaa One Of My Pics Got Stolen By A Magazine!

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:36 pm

You could present them to one of my best friends : Miss Invoice Big grin

Will
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

DLKAPA

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:08 pm

And in the back of my mind, I really believe she retrieved the picture from her archives (I emailed them the picture in question a few days after the flight), without remembering the picture was mine.

Well there ya go, if you don't want someone to use your pic without your knowledge, probably best not to e-mail that pic to them.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

707CMF

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:10 pm

Well there ya go, if you don't want someone to use your pic without your knowledge, probably best not to e-mail that pic to them.

Come on. A pilot gives you a free flight, you take pictures and you refuse to email them afterwards when asked ? (and no, there was no idea of that article at that time)

Antoine

sulman

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:19 pm

Antoine,

You sound a little intimidated by the thought of having to do some arm-twisting with people you know and like. Don't.

They're professional people, and would hopefully respect a polite reminder that they had used a picture without permission. Be well mannered about it and you have nothing to lose.

Cheers

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

PH-BFA

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:42 pm

If I were you I would write them a letter/e-mail saying that you would have appreciated it if they contacted you first before publishing the pics.

But you already answered your question, you would have given the pic for free anyway if they had asked, so it would seem unfair now to invoice them only because they did not ask for your permission(which is also caused by the fact they did not know they had to ask your permission as you stated)

PH-BFA

gkirk

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:44 pm

I suppose they could always say your payment was the free flight  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

pumaknight

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:24 am

I would ask for photo credit in a later issue. No money, cos you did send the photo to them (albeit not directly), and it would be nice to keep them sweet. And the photo credit would look good for your portfolio and braggin rights at dinenr parties Smile/happy/getting dizzy

But that is me. I take it as a compliment that the photo was used.

Michael H
NO URLS in signature

gmonney

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:16 am

Michael H,

I totaly agree with you, just email them and say "next time you use my photo, could you please give me credit, thanks for your understanding"

That should work, or even ask how else you can help in the future!

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

bigphilnyc

Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:57 am

What's "rhaa"?

philler
Phil Derner Jr.

kaddyuk

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:02 am

You say it how it sounds... its kinda like a roar, but "Rhaa"...
LoL
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

jetblast

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:59 am

Rhaa!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Could you plug the stolen photo?

JetBlast @ BWI  Smile
Speedbird Concorde One

airlinelover

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:29 am

And put a cat-in-the-bag up while you're at it  Big thumbs up..

I think Michael H is right. Ask them to put a credit in a future issue (All of thost things have a spot for things "forgotten" or wahtever)

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

bigphilnyc

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:40 pm

"You say it how it sounds... its kinda like a roar, but "Rhaa"..."

That's so sad and pathetic I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

futterman

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:47 pm

Phil.

Chewbacca.

Now I'm starting to cry, too.
What the FUTT?

707CMF

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:43 pm

Thanks guys for your advice.

I think indeed asking for money or anything would be rude from me (I would *really* have given it away - mostly it is the credit thingy I dislike).

I will give them a call or an email in the next days and ask them for the credit in a next issue, and that will be all.

Here is the picture in question :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

Not a very good one, but I know my pictures when I see one (matched it with propeller pos, fuel cap/jauge position against runway markings, and moreover with the position of the various aircraft on the parking/taxiways - 100% match)

As for Rhaa, add a c before, a p after, say it out loud with a frustrated voice, you should get the meaning. (Not a swear word, though).

Cheers, and thank you for the advices

airlinelover

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:28 pm

What?!?! NO CAT?!?!

Please let us know what they say.. It'd be interesting if they try to deny it.

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply