yhu

Good Photos At SAN?

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:03 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to get photos like this at San Diego without being on the airport side of the fence.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Shaun Edelstein

I was at SAN in April, and when at that end of the runway, there is a large blast shield on the other side of the fence. So I could only get photos of jets higher in the air. Is there an area I missed where you can see on the other side of the fence?

Thanks for any help. I will be heading back to SAN in February and would love to get some better photos.

2912n

RE: Good Photos At SAN?

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:37 pm

You were just a few feet from the "official" view area, which is where Shaun shot this one. There you can either stand on the green electrical boxes or atop your car for a view over the fence. If you were behind the blast fence you were in the Solar Turbines parking lot. You need to go just a bit further west to the non functioning signal light across from the Coast Guard station.

yhu

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:47 pm

When you say "official", is that sarcasm of for real? If real, I didn't realize there was an official site. Thanks. I was indeed in the Solar Turbines parking lot.

hawaiian717

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:22 pm

Yes, that is considered the official spot. The Solar Turbine people don't like spotters in their parking lot, and may ask you to leave.

David / MRY

sesd97

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Yeah, as 2912n correctly stated, I was standing on top of the "green electricity box" which is located right next to the small parking lot (5 spaces) across from the Coast Guard station right at the merge of the corner of Laurel & Harbor drive.

I was NOT in the Solar turbines parking lot which is a big NO-NO. You will be chased away by security that comes round every 15 mins. and you will be cited at your second offense with the local PD or Harbor PD being called.

For all those who come to visit SAN, this little "official" spot where all of my nearly 250 pics are taken from is great. You need only a 200mm zoom for the bulk of the traffic with a 300-400mm for smaller BizJets.

There are other areas in the hills behind the airport, but SDPD will stop and ask all the obligatory questions, and then they'll kindly direct you to the official location. So you're better off coming down here where all is good, and people are happy and courteous at this location.

Please feel free to eMail me if anybody is coming this way, I work 5 mins. from the airport and will be glad to share my "local" knowledge.....

btw...I think the above pic. was at 313mm with my Sigma 50-500, for a total of 500mm with the 20D 1.6X crop.

......thx for looking .................. Shaun

yhu

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. I was actually right off of the Solar parking lot, on the sidewalk beside the entrance. So when security came by and asked what I was doing, I simply replied "watching the planes" and he replied with "have a good day". But now, with the info provided above, it will make my visit many times more interesting.

Thanks!