F9Widebody
Topic Author

Photo Usage Question For Those Of You In Europe.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:26 pm

I recently had a shot accepted of a plane Crash near APA. I received an email from the Dutch magazine Scramble asking if they could use the picture if full credits were given. No mention of any royalties was made. I am unfamiliar with this magazine and I was wondering if it is something I should be charging for. Is the circulation rather small? Looking on their website, it doesn't exactly seem like your standard aviation magazine.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kyle Matson

Best Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

PH-OTO

RE: Photo Usage Question For Those Of You In Europe.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:01 am

Well it is. But mostly focused on the "die hard spotters" (logs from visitors at AMS, lots of C/n etc)

They are well known in Europe, and mostly rely on volunteers (enthousiasts) to keep it running. I doubt if they are able pay you, but you could try.

Martin
Look very closely between the lines of this message, and you will see the captain beating up the jumpseater

Woody001

Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:24 am

Scramble is a great place to find aircraft details etc, maybe worth asking for a free subscription for a year perhaps...?

Ian.
If I could just get the afterburner working...

nosedive

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:50 am

Kyle,

I'm assuming the family of the pilot has no objections to this photo being in the database, as you did say you'd remove it if they did. My question is do you know how would they feel if you "sold the rights" to this photograph?

dendrobatid

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:54 am

Scramble is good and if it was my photo I would let them have it for free.
I only ask people to pay me if it is for commercial use.

Mick Bajcar

F9Widebody
Topic Author

RE: Photo Usage Question For Those Of You In Europ

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:08 am

My question is do you know how would they feel if you "sold the rights" to this photograph?

No, but I don't see how it would be any different than the employee of the newspaper who was right beside me getting paid to take photgraphs of the crash scene.

Out of courtesy, I have been waiting on the family's response for 4 days now...

Thanks for the replies, I think I will let them have the photo for free, maybe just request a copy of the edition it is printed in.

Best Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

Go3Team

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:48 am

Is that the plane that carried that sports guy, and sons?
Yay Pudding!

DLKAPA

Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:31 am

No, the plane that carried the sports guy crashed in Montrose and was a Canadair Challenger. This is a Mitsubishi Mu-2 and crashed in Denver.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same