philhyde

Advice - Using A Teleconvertor

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:28 am

Hello,

I have a Canon Powershot Pro1, and I'm considering buying either the 1.5x teleconvertor from Canon or a 2x convertor (Sakar) from buydig. Can anyone speak generally as to how well these convertors work? For $150-200, is it worth the purchase?

cheers,
Phil
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

fergulmcc

RE: Advice - Using A Teleconvertor

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:01 am

Phil!

I know the experts will give you better advice, but from my research you should stick with a Canon converter for canon lenses. I don't have one yet but I will be getting one in Jan '05.
What lens are you using this with?
The 1.4 converter with a 'L' lens will give you very good results as would a x2 with a 300mm LIS would give you a very high quality 600mm but with MF.

I'm getting a few lenses in Jan but I'm sticking with Canon converters.
Just the advice I got from Colin.

Good luck

Fergul Big grin
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

Jan Mogren

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:06 am

I think Phil is looking for a converter to mount at the other end of the lens.

/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

philhyde

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:08 am

The camera I have, Powershot Pro1, has a fixed 'L' series lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/

The price on the convertor is $199 and the adapter is $49 best-case. With the fixed lens, this is really the only option that exists to extend the capabilities of this camera.

I have a feeling you are right - that I will get better results with the Canon convertor. I'd just like to hear some real-world stories about how well this type of lens adapter works.

cheers,
Phil

gmonney

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:10 am

Phil,

Now i used to use the Sony F717 and the converter from Sony was $550CDN and was 1.7x. The quality was exactly the same... now i know people who have tried teleconverter on their PandS camera and they have not worked out that well...

I would suggest trying it out before commiting or ask the sales person if you can return the product if you are not happy. I told my sony guy (a friend... everything in my house is sony) if I loose quality i am bringing the camera and teleconverter back.... well I almost got 1000 photo's on here untill i switched to a DSLR.

Hope that helps,

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

philhyde

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:18 am

Since this is a low-volume item, I have been unable to really find a "good deal" on the internet. Also, as such, the one established camera shop near my house did not carry it (perhaps it is new). I think the advice of trying it out has merit and it would take very few shots to prove or dis-prove it's utilitly.

cheers,
Phil

fergulmcc

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:15 am

Sorry Phil!

Not with it at all this last week or so.

Good hunting

Fergul  Big thumbs up
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!