jid

Upload Ban!

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:20 am

Well happy Christmas all.

I have been banned for uploading a reworked picture. Normally if I have a rejection I leave it at that and try and learn from the comments. This time I thought the shot in question was worth spending a little time on and reworking it, which I did.
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/jiddster_1161_V2.jpg

For my trouble I would taken another rejection and put it my personal collection no problem. Instead for a get an e-mail saying...
"Due to repeated violations of our photo upload rules and guidelines, you have been banned from uploading photos to Airliners.net for 1 week. Following this ban, all photos you had in the upload queue have been removed".
Repeated suggests that I send in reworked pictures on a regular basis and submit them. I very, very rarely rework pictures and submit them and I have only ever appealed one. I was just thinking about celebrating getting 500 pictures on A.Net, now I guess you can think what I'm feeling.

Would anyone like to comment ?
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

DLKAPA

RE: Upload Ban!

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:37 am

It always pisses me off when I take my time to re-work a photo then to get that slap in the face. Sometimes I think why bother with it?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

codeshare

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:44 am

Did you try appealing it? Could be worth a try.
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

jorge1812

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:44 am

Getting banned for one week isn't the end of the world. And remember that we've Christmas next week. Maybe you can do other things instead of uploading and will resume it in one week.
Bye, Georg.

jfazzer

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:48 am

That's bad news Jid,
Some of your recent shots have been great. Oh well at least it is only for one week, (bet that dosn't cheer you up).
By the way I guess you were at MAN today? After describing you to Jane, I believe she sent you a text message warning you about an idiot on a step-ladder.
Just for the record, your rejected shot is very nice, and pin-sharp, which I'm sure you don't want to hear. Such a shame!

Later..... John

SA006

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:58 am

Hello Jid!

What was that rejected for? If it was badmotiv , which I think it was , I can kind of understand the screeners' predicament. There's not much one can do with a photo rejected for badmotiv.

Although , this was a little harsh...

Rgds  Big thumbs up
SA006
Proudly South African

LHRSIMON

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:59 am

What a great picture. I can see why you tried to rework it. Its realy annoying when you have a photo you want to share and cannot get it in. I had one of a GH DC10 and after it got rejected twice (after a good hour reworking i gave up with it.... No ban though !!!

What was it rejected for. Please tell me it wasn't BadQuality !!!!!
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

fergulmcc

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:04 am

That was rejected  Wow!

Great shot Jid,

But you must have done something jid for them to ban you like that or have they really banned you for re-uploading a picture.

What rules did you violate?

Fergul  Big thumbs up
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

Psych

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:07 am

Sorry to hear this Jid. Lovely clarity to the image.

I have sent you a personal email.

Take it easy.

Paul

ChrisH

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:15 am

You cloned out the fence? Quite visible, but if its your first violation a ban is harsh. If its not, then well sh1+ happens =)
what seems to be the officer, problem?

chris78cpr

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:27 am

Bad to hear Jid, I love that pic! how do you get it looking so clear and sharp?

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

jid

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:51 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their messages and personal email.

I shall quickly nip through a few of the above points:
DLKAPA, I don't often re-work shots but I did do one a couple of weeks and it got accepted, so don't give up hope

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jid Webb

So it can work.

Jorge, appeal !! Can't be bothered.

Jfazzer, yes that was me at MAN today  Smile I did get a warning text. Next time I will have to come say hello.

SA006, LHRSIMON, the shot was rejected for badcentered. I am quite happy to live with that but to be banned as well?

Fergulmcc, Done something, no that's it. I re-worked one picture and re-submitted it and got a ban.

Psych, thanks for you mail. I will reply personally.

ChrisH, Chris78cpr, I would not mind if I had cloned a fence out! Yes my first 'violation' although I did not realise that if you re-work a shot and it gets rejected you get a ban.

Over night I got the standard e-mail rejection which I am quite happy with. Here is a small quote "Continous reuploading might result in a temporary ban from the site."
Now I don't call one re-work continous!!

The to make things worse I get this

"Hello Jid Webb,

This is just a short note from us at Airliners.net thanking you
for 2004 - we hope you will continue to send us your aviation
photos under next year as well and promise to keep improving
our services for photographers."

Looks like they are going the right way!

On a final note, as well as getting a ban you also get all the shots removed off the queue that you had just spent all morning freezing your nuts off for.
I am also somewhat disappointed that no-one from Admin or Crew have posted a valid reason for my ban yet.

Thanks again all .. Jid

sulman

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:00 pm

Jid,

Under the circumstances you described, that sounds a little harsh to me. Perhaps a mistake has been made. Any crewmembers care to clear things up?

Cheers

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

Psych

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:50 pm

Jid,

A public comment from me. In my very early days of uploading - thanks in no small part to your help - I reworked a few images definitely twice or more before they got accepted. I did write comments to screeners to let them know what I had been trying to do.

My recollection is that in the standard texts for some rejections there is an invitation to rework the image and reupload if you think you have addressed the reason for that rejection. Therefore it cannot be the case that you can be banned for just reuploading a rejected photo - unless it was simply a mistake.

The question I'm raising is whether there are certain rejection categories where an attempt to reupload is not considered 'appropriate etiquette' - such as bad motive. But I think we have already established in previous discussions that one screener's 'badmotive' is another screener's lovely photo. So surely at least one further attempt - especially if something has been changed from the original photo - is acceptable, because if there was only one rejection reason given and the photographer believes they have addressed that issue in their reupload, then it seems they may stand a fair chance of it being accepted this time round.

Is there a need to revisit the standardised rejections that screeners use that will give the photographer a clearer indication of what they should and should not consider doing next? I recall getting a 'baddouble' rejection and it did say then that 'Continuous' reuploading following such a rejection may result in a ban. If 'continuous' means 'don't try to rework this image - it will not be accepted in future' or we should read 'continuous' as 'one more time' then maybe it should say so more clearly. Also, if it is the case that screeners have a specific rule whereby they will not subsequently overturn a previous (different) screener's decision about a photo (I'm thinking of badmotive here as a good example of this) then I think it would be very helpful to know that so that we can all waste less of our own and screener's time trying to rework certain images.

Apologies to all readers for my wordy post, but I think this issue for Jid raises some key points that would benefit from clarification. I have said it many times already - I can live with subjectivity and mistakes being made - but specific rules should be clear for all and applied fairly.

All the best.

Paul

fergulmcc

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:54 pm

Hear Hear, Paul

Fergul  Big thumbs up
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

Airplanepics

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:09 pm

Did you write a comment for the screeners explaining what you had done to the rejected picture?

Simon Nicholls
Simon - London-Aviation.com

jid

Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:31 pm

No I did not write any comments this time or the last. My first submission was rejected for Badsoft, which it was, as well as badcentered. I did not wish to insult the intelligence of a screener and say look I have re-cropped and sharpened this image. I thought it would be quite obvious what I had done. I certainly would not reupload an image without re-working it. A simple rejection of the second upload, I would not of had any problem with it as I said before.

This still does not clear up the point .. That if you re-work a picture and it does not get passed, is it a one week ban plus all other pictures in the queue deleted?

[Edited 2004-12-22 12:32:42]

Psych

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:17 pm

Regarding your last, Jid, if what you say is true, that's a major issue. As I said, I have had second uploads rejected before. As far as I am aware no rules regarding uploading have been changed recently.

This would be silly anyway. What is wrong with the photographer making changes following a rejection if s/he believes that the changes they are making are addressing the initial criticisms of the screener and so improving the image? UNLESS they are specifically told in their feedback from the first rejection that to reupload this particular photo will not be acceptable because it is already falling foul of a clearly stated site rule. For me baddouble is the clearest example, though some may recall a recent thread where even here we were debating the clarity of this rule.

Paul

TZ

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:26 pm

Jid:
"I did not wish to insult the intelligence of a screener and say look I have re-cropped and sharpened this image."

Sorry Jid, but it's imperative that when anybody uploads a reworked shot they inform us what they've done to the image. That's what the "comments to screeners field" is for. When examining hundreds, or even thousands, of images in a screening session it isn't unreasonable that you draw our attention to what you've changed.

I personally don't know the difference between the first and second crop, but if they were substantially the same, then we would consider that a re-upload and handle it accordingly.

Tamsin (a.net screening crew)
TZ Aviation - Aeropuerto de los Banditos Team Images

jid

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Tamsin,

The actual rejection is not really an issues here. I do take your point that if I ever do anymore re-work I will add a comment to the screener. The issue is the one week ban, for and I quote

Jid Webb,

Due to repeated violations of our photo upload rules and guidelines, you have been banned from uploading photos to Airliners.net for 1 week. Following this ban, all photos you had in the upload queue have been removed

"Repeated violations" suggests that I am re-uploading shots all the time. This is only the second case of me uploading a re-worked image that I can remember. The one before, as I previously posted got accepted to the DB. I feel very very very harshly treated by having this ban imposed and photos removed from the queue. I am just hoping that someone can make sense of it all and maybe even say 'hey we made a mistake'.

Jid.

Psych

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:15 pm

I agree with Jid here again. The issue here is not really the particular photograph - we can all have different views on that. It is his being given a ban for an apparent REPEATED violation of the rules and guidelines.

As a fellow photographer I feel I need to understand:

* what rules/guidelines Jid has transgressed by reuploading this image

* in what way his behaviour can be seen to have been repeated enough that he can legitimately be seen to have ignored something he should have been aware was incorrect. In effect, how has he 'misbehaved/wasted screeners' time unnecessarily?

Paul

kaddyuk

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:20 pm

Such a shame to hear that jid

Nice shot though mate!  Smile
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Sukhoi

Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:49 am

Havent been screening in a while so cant comment on the picutres in question, but the email you have been sent is a standard email that goes to all who are banned, the wording is generic. But there may have been a personal comment added by the screener...

jid

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:22 am

Indeed there was a personal comment from the screener. Here is the email content again...

Jid Webb,

Due to repeated violations of our photo upload rules and guidelines, you have been banned from uploading photos to Airliners.net for 1 week. Following this ban, all photos you had in the upload queue have been removed

Here follows a personal message from the screeners regarding this ban:

the PIA 77 is still badcentered as it was the last time. Read the Upload FAQ

Sincerely,
The Airliners.net Photo Screening Crew

I am not disagreeing with the screener’s judgement that the photo was badcentered. What I am disagreeing with that this is the first time I have resubmitted a photo and not had it accepted. It appears that because I resubmitted it did not pass screening, instead of the standard rejection I get a weeks upload ban and all the photos I had in the queue deleted. There has still been no explanation for the "repeat violation" wording.

One instance is not in my book is not classed as a repeat.

Clarification of this point would be appreciated.

Jid.

philhyde

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:31 am

"There has still been no explanation for the "repeat violation" wording"

Sure there has:

{{Sukhoi}} "the email you have been sent is a standard email that goes to all who are banned, the wording is generic"

I would tend to agree that you have been judged too harshly in the final analysis, but strict adherence (or not) to the rules is the discretion of the screener.

cheers,
Phil
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

jid

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:01 am

Hi Phil,

I think that the wording of a generic message for repeat violations as it is, is fine. The issue here is it is not a repeat! Repeat suggests more than one, not as in this case just one. That is the issue that need clarification. The rules and guidelines are fine, I have never had an argument about that but in this case I think they have been incorrectly applied.

Jid.

Psych

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:01 am

Again - agreed Jid.

Of fundamental importance here is that a ban can be given - and let's face it, that cannot be a pleasant experience for anyone - on the basis of no forewarning. I think Jid has made it clear that had he realised that he was transgressing some important rule, or had he been made aware after the initial rejection that to resubmit his photo would make him liable to a ban, then he would have left it at that.

This is the issue that needs clarification. And, I suggest, some thought needs to be given to the standardised rejection notices. I have not had a bad centre rejection, but a bad double rejection does state that 'repeated' uploads might lead to a ban. Does the 'bad centred' rejection also state to the photographer that, unless you get this centred, you're liable to a ban in the same way?

If so, fair enough, but once, with some changes, simply is not 'repeated'.

Paul

dendrobatid

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:20 am

There seems to be unanimity here that Jid has either been treated harshly or unfairly.
The standard rejection (and I've had plenty) positively invites re-submission.

Why doesn't someone on the Crew 'take the bull by the horns' and re-instate him before we lose another bloody good photographer to other sites.
Justice would then also be seen to be done !

Mick Bajcar

Dehowie

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:50 am

Well from looking at the other sites it seems plenty of "good" photographers are already tired of being treated poorly.
I'm not sure if ANET has ever heard the phrase of "To bite the hand that feeds" but maybe they want to take a look at how they are treating the people who keep the site alive. The photographers.
Given the fact we have been waiting ovr 6 weeks for a response to what the definition is of badsize is,i wouldn't be holding by breath Jid.
People are wondering why the queue is so low.
Mmmm i think i know.

Darren
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

vir380

Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:56 am

"People are wondering why the queue is so low.
Mmmm i think i know"

Yup .... its cos we all are working hard screening and not biting your bait  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

and its always the way at this time of year that uploads drop in numbers ... always has been .... always will be
simple really !

so on that note ... happy xmas everyone

looking forward to the new year  Smile

regards all

(and Jid .. ... i do sympathize with the ban and look forward to catching up s/side in the new year .. best wishes)
Moved away from this lost website to better things !

AIRBUSRIDER

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:38 am

If I have learned one thing from uploading to Anet, I have learned to not take things personal. I was banned for similar reasons not to long ago and I saw it as an excuse to take a break from uploading. I know we all get pissed at times for various reasons but there is no reason to let it get you down. I think your work is great. I have a long way to go to reach 500 shots but hey, we are in here right? members of the elite photographers club, so f--k it! Happy Holidays............Anthony
No Officer, I am not a Terrorist !

Bronko

Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:28 pm

Jid, your PIA shot is one of the best I have seen recently. What lens(es) and body do you use?
Jet City Aviation Photography

Bruce

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:44 pm

Upload ban??? did I miss something? Is this something new? I re-work rejected pictures all the time and never heard of a ban for it....I do use the comment field though.

So how many re-uploads does it take to get a ban now?

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

dendrobatid

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:50 pm

Vir380
My comment about reinstating Jid were not intended as bait.
I realise that you have been working hard on screening and last weekeend I was scanning, processing, and submitting as fast as they were being screened. There must have been a lot of you working, and working hard. for the queue to go from 4000 to about 200 at one stage. I have not uploaded any since as I (and even more so my Wife) got pissed off with it. How you must feel at times with screening I can only guess.
I do feel sorry for Jid and I do re-work as Bruce said, all the time.
I do however use the comments field if I have done that, or anything else that can assist in a screening decision as I am sure you realise.
Stopped uploading and scanning last weekend and did something different yesterday.....went out with the camera. Here we go again until my Wife gets up anyway.
I would hate to not be on a.net as it is the best by a long, long, way but that does not make it perfect.
Seasons greetings to one and all
Mick Bajcar

jid

Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:11 am

Bronko, I was using a Canon 35-350mm 'L' lens for that shot on my 300D for what it's worth  Smile

On a final note, I never got a true explanation for my ban. Still it is nearly Christmas now so who cares. I have not long since turned 40 years old and getting a ban made me feel like I was back at school getting detention from teacher ... so many memories!!! Shall just have to be a good boy in future and do my homework properly.

Thanks for all the personal e-mails and messages of support from everyone. Happy Christmas, Photog's Screeners and all....

Jid

spencer

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:19 am

Isn't a ban a little like being given detention at school, or worse, being sent home!! I mean, a ban, come on!!! A little bit OTT isn't it? As Tamsin stated, "I personally don't know the difference between the first and second crop, but if they were substantially the same, then we would consider that a re-upload and handle it accordingly". Well, from personal experience, I know the screeners don't happen to have the same eye for taste and in the occurrence of a rejected photo, I sometimes can't even be bothered to rework it, and I'll just resend it. 9 times out of 10 it'll get accepted merely because another screener happened to feel it was OK. I'm not saying the shot you took deserves to be added, (I'm not saying it shouldn't either!), but sometimes the rules and screening here seem a little out of sinc.
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

TZ

Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:41 pm

Spencer:
"in the occurrence of a rejected photo, I sometimes can't even be bothered to rework it, and I'll just resend it"

Thanks for pointing that out. Since you have publicly admitted that you are flaunting the airliners.net rules, we'll be watching your uploads like a hawk. Perhaps we'll send you a three-month ban for Christmas? If we can be "bothered", of course.

It's behaviour like this (re-uploading without improvement) which takes resource away from the fantastically skilled, honest and professional photographers on this site. Sorry Spencer, I used to count you in that group.

[Edited 2004-12-24 09:43:15]

skidmarks

Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:34 pm

I am somewhat perturbed to see this subject go on and on. I personally think the pic from Jid is a damn good shot, worthy of A.net. However, if the screener thinks some rule has been broken then it is up to the screener and their conscience to explain. However, a comment other than a generic rejection/ban notice, together with an assurance that the photographers work IS valued would go a long way toward easing the annoyance. Having your hard work rejected by someone you neither know or can see is hard enough without any further hassle. A bit of understanding goes a long way.

Mery Christmas from the Isle of Man or Nollick Ghennal as Blein Vie Noa as the locals would say.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

law4fun

Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:32 am

A Screener wrote:
"Perhaps we'll send you a three-month ban for Christmas? If we can be "bothered", of course."

Jumping Jesus on a Pogostick, get a life! This all started with an arbitrary ban aimed at JID. Why not admit that a screener screwed up and just fix it. I mean, the screeners are human. They can and do screw up on occasion. Just admit the foul-up and fix your error. It is a simple solution to the problem. Now, when a screener threatens publicly in a thread....that is another deal. Maybe he should be given a time out. Or, is he above the bans that are imposed for the mere mortals?

Admins, why not hop in and comment?
Canon Shutter Slut

jderden777

Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:26 am

not that my input matters at all in here since we photographers just seem to roll with the punches here on johan's site but i personally think that there was no reason to ban Jid from uploading for a week. he uploaded a re-worked image, which if i'm not mistaken is the proper action to take and it was still viewed as badcentered by the screener....then for this he faces a ban? for what, for not "adequately" reworking the image or what? to me its ridiculous and uncalled for.....and what does it accomplish? Jid has kept a pretty cool head about this as well, much better than others (including me) would have...who knows maybe if people get banned like this they'll take their photos elsewhere...obviously if you look at his work in the database you'll realize that he consistently uploads high quality shots so what is the real motivation behind the ban? it seems like somebody is just wanting him to quit uploading...i'm not going to speak for him but if it were me i would seriously think about whether or not it is worth it to continue uploading (that is after the ban is lifted)

it also is rather disappointing to see that nobody has really responded to the issue from the a.net side....the one screener that did respond then threatened another photographer with a ban....is that really necessary at all....but anyway that's another issue in itself....

jd

[Edited 2004-12-24 17:32:05]
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

vir380

Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:47 am

Law4fun ... you have actually been reading this thread right ?

please read it again then youll get the context it was meant  Smile

Another thing how exactly have you come to the conclusion that a screener screwed up ?

I have just spent pretty much most of the day with Jid .... hes forgotten all about it with a shrug of the shoulders... i suggest everyone else just does the same and get on with something positive .... like ... Christmas perhaps ...

cheers all Tony
Moved away from this lost website to better things !

TZ

Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:58 am

All

Please don't read my statement as some kind of threat - just a reiteration of the airliners.net rules which everybody agrees to when they upload. Namely, if you reupload rejected shots without modification then you are liable to receive a ban. Not a threat - just a simple fact.

This is my last comment on this subject, as I don't want the daft statement by Spencer to take over this thread.

spencer

Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:48 pm

This is Airliners.net Tamsin, nothing more nothing less! I DO abide by the rules, but freedom of speech is also something I abide by!! If you take everything so literal and react in such a way as you did, then being a member of crew really isn't for you. I have nothing against you, so why did you make that remark about me? I'm glad you once regarded me as a professional photog here, but does one comment now make me less of a person?! Come on! If, for arguments sake, I do just resend an unworked photo, then surely something is wrong with the screening process, right? If one screener finds it to be too poor for A.net, and another will accept it, what does that say for the site?? I hope I haven't touched a nerve here, because that's not my intention. Oh, and if a three month ban is in order, I'll appeal it now!
Spencer.
Merry Christmas.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

ryangooner

Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:48 pm

What has this site become? - who's gonna have the balls to answer,? screener or otherwise - 3 month ban, why dont you extend that to a year maybe we all will go away and pretend that ANET is too much part of our life, i would kill myself if i got banned for 3 months - i mean what would i do?!

cmon Tamsin or whoever you are - act with a tad more respect - "we'll be watching you like a hawk!"

yeah have you not got anything more better to do - You'll trawl spencers uploads through 10,000 pics in the queue? (height of summer!). just for the chance of a re-uploaded shot that every 3 screeners will have a different outlook on anyway?

we have lost a handful of special photographers here on this site (presumably the best site on the net). they will read this thread and chuckle once again.
carry on the way it was and forget your personal vendettas to people that have opinions and freedom of speech - i once heard the expression - rules are there to be broken - ho hum

happy xmas and carry on the good work on this site

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

TZ

Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:59 pm

Spencer

I have nothing against you, but your comment is akin to you posting on an official Police website that you sometimes drive in excess of the designated speed limit because sometimes you "simply can't be bothered" to adhere to the rules of the land. Sometimes you don't get caught, so what the heck, who cares? The Police would not be impressed because speed limits are there to protect the good law-abiding people from getting hurt.

Same here, albeit on a lesser scale. If people (such as yourself, by your own unqualified admission) re-upload rejected images, then the queue is clogged up and the people who adhere to the rules will suffer.

Taken to its logical conclusion, you are encouraging everybody to contradict the rules and reupload everything, especially if they "simply can't be bothered" to rework a rejection. If everybody did that, then the queue would be unmanageable, screening impossible and the site would be dead. That's not a good place to be heading, IMHO.

I don't know how to interpret the sentence: "I sometimes can't even be bothered to rework it, and I'll just resend it." other than literally. Perhaps you could explain to me what you meant if I have misunderstood? You have contradicted yourself by saying the above line, followed by "I DO abide by the rules".

If you perpetually reupload (without modification) and you are caught doing so, you WILL receive a ban, just the same as for every other photographer. Nothing more, nothing less.

Finally, please refrain from being attempting to be condescending about whether I should or should not be part of the crew.

You are a great photographer, plain a simple. You just said a daft thing.

jid

Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:06 am

Poeple .. you appear to of strayed from my original thread which was, why I got banned for one week for uploading one reworked photo. The photo was badcenter and badsoft. The reworked photo was rejected for badcenter and badreupload, this means it passed on one of the original rejections, ie being 'soft' but did not meet the badcenter rejection. I FIND NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT REJECTION. The one week upload/delete queue ban however I did/do take objection too, nothing else.

I know what it is like to screen photo's and this being the season of good will personally have lost interest in this topic. My ban will soon be over and maybe I will upload here, maybe I won't. One thing is for sure, if I reupload again I will add a note to the screeners saying that is what I have done.

Tiz the season to be jolly so BE JOLLY !!!

Happy holidays everyone ... Jid.

ChrisH

Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:42 am

While I'm willing to agree with tamsin that spencers remark might encourage less experienced uploaders to break the rules, I think it's common knowledge that a badmotive rejection, reuploaded a month or two later, has a chance of getting in if a different screener screens it. The odd one will not clog up the queue, what clogs the queue are, Im guessing, the beginners uploading 3mpix shots and 30 in every batch, and that's where i assume efforts are being made to prevent it no?

what seems to be the officer, problem?

spencer

Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:42 pm

Tamsin. I've had time to sober up now, but I still stick to what I've said, and that's that different screeners will let different images on. You have to be able to admit that, too, surely? And it's not like I send the same stuff time and again; it probably has happened a few times in my entire time being here. I understand fully the implications to what has been going on here, but I guess that's the risk I've run. As I started this, (and I'm terribly sorry the original thread got lost here), I feel banning people is just, well, out of order.... But for minor errors, to which most of us are unaware of at the time anyway, should be dealt with accordingly. A ban just seems so harsh. That's my own opinion, and I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me on that point, but I'm sure a lot do. Anyway... I don't think you'll be receiving many problems from me in the future Tamsin as I'm going to lay low for a couple of months, and not, as Ryan stated, let A.net become too much of a driving force in my life. Let's just hope though that my openness doesn't affect my acceptance ratio now....!
Spencer.

TZ

Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:54 pm

Spencer

Glad to see the "heat" taken out of this debate.

We are humans, and human errors can occur - an image may get added after previously being rejected. However, we have have the option of reviewing every single photographers's rejected images to double-check they haven't reuploaded the shot. That's a time-consuming process which really slows down the screening. I was frustrated by your first post because if we can't trust our photgraphers not to reupload, then we'll have to check the rejects for every upload. That would mean screening would slow down to 1/10th of the speed it's at now.

I appreciate your honesty, but I still desperately encourage everybody not to reupload unmodified rejected images.

Spencer - your images will do the talking, and they are always good. Your rejection ration won't be affected.