BREmer
Topic Author

What Do You Edit In Your Raw-images?

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:10 am

Hey guys,
Since so many people are shooting RAW, I was wondering if you have a certain editing pattern. What do you do with your RAW pics before saving them as jpegs?

I usually set the sharpness if it allows, and then see if I can get more out of the images by applying some digital exposure compensation and white balance. I basically never change anything with saturation and contrast.

How 'bout you?

Cheers  Smile
Lukas

codeshare

RE: What Do You Edit In Your Raw-images?

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:46 am

Generally exposure, contrast and colours. This comes out better than in PS (as I recently discovered).
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

IL76

Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:30 am

I have PS CS and the sliders I use most are:
- Temperature (to correct Canon's AWB when (rarely) needed)
- Exposure
- Shadows (to fix the histogram on the black side of the spectrum)
- Saturation (to boost the colours a little bit)
- Luminance smoothing (I use it sometimes to reduce grain in underexposed shots or when using ISO400 or more)

After this (everything still in 16bit), all that needs to be done in Photoshop are cropping, levels, resizing and sharpening... Convert to 8-bit and save...
Cheers,
Eduard

xiphias

Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:20 pm

For now I use the Canon Photo Professional 1.5 software but can't wait till Capture One 3.6 is out. 3.5 doesn't support CR2 (Canon Raw 2.0) but I use that for the CRW pics from a 300D.

C1 is just so much better then CPP and PS CS. Much easier to apply changes to multiple images and then there is the queue. CPP lets you apply changes to multiple and do a batch but in C1 you can also name the files.
So I edit a few files (like Eduard does but in C1), and get a common setting, and apply it to all images.
Then I go by the images and see if it's al the way I want and edit where needed.
I add a name and put it in queue.
When I'm ready to go to bed I start the development and in the morning I have Gb's of TIFs waiting for me (or I send to photoshop direct).
I then go to PS CS to convert to hires JPEG for printing and lowres smaller image for web.

-XiP
Xiph"i*as, n. [L., a swordfish, a sword-shaped comet, fr. Gr. xifi`as, fr. xi`fos a sword.]