martinairyyz

BUF And JFK Spotting Questions

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:50 am

I will go down for a weekend to do some spotting at BUF anf would like to know what the police situation in the US is.... In Canada it is no problem whatsoever but I have heard of some in the US.

Any Info also on BUF spots is appreciated!

Cheers,

Martin
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

TWAMD-80

RE: BUF And JFK Spotting Questions

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:58 pm

I don't really know too much about spotting at BUF, but there is a helpful site from Anne & Art Brett that may answer your questions about JFK. http://www.anniebees.com/Photos/Disclaimer.htm After the disclaimer, you'll find areas for spotting at JFK and LGA. From what I have heard, LGA is pretty much friendly for spotting, but JFK my be rather touchy. There have been a number of photographers that have been stopped and questioned. Somebody from NYC should be able to give you more updated information. Have a great trip!  Smile

Tim
Two A-4's, left ten o'clock level continue left turn!

aagold

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:47 pm

JFK really isn't a problem as long as you're prepared to go through an ID check with the local authorities. It's a pain in the ass of course, but most of time harmless. Just a wasted bit of time.

Art

Danny

Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:36 am

As for BUF go to Flying Tigers. That's a restaurant (closed) at the back of the airport on Aero Drive. You can get really close to the action there and NFTA Police usually have no problem. The best lighting is in the morning.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

Advise: Take some solid boots and lot of warm clothes  Big grin

Danny

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:41 am

Update on Flying Tigers - you will need to have truck or SUV to get there. Since the restaurant is closed the area is not plowed at all. Or park on Aero Drive and walk (in deep snow).

I'll be there tomorrow around 9:30-10  Smile

Danny

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:54 am

Update no 2 - NFTA Police now do has a problem. I've had very unpleasant experience today which ended up at Police station.

They got a little smarter and now threaten to prosecute for tresspasing not photographing. They claim that since the restaurant is closed the area is now private property and no one is allowed to go there.

BDLGUY

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:41 am

I'm sorry to hear about your ugly incident at BUF. I've been at the Flying Tiger many times since 2000.

I really hope that the new buyer would purchase the property of Flying Tiger and hope to reopening the business again. Maybe our aviation photography would be resume at the Flying Tiger. Who knows?  Laugh out loud

John Perrotta/BDL
John A. Perrotta (KBDL/BDL) - Canon 300D/400D & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

United_fan

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:37 am

Update no 2 - NFTA Police now do has a problem. I've had very unpleasant experience today which ended up at Police station.

They got a little smarter and now threaten to prosecute for tresspasing not photographing. They claim that since the restaurant is closed the area is now private property and no one is allowed to go there.

Well,I was there on Sat,and NFTA cop drove by 4 times and didn't stop.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends