BDLGUY

Hotel Near PHX

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:55 am

I'm considering to travel to PHX for spotting/photography expedition. Hopefully, I will be staying in PHX for 5 days. So, I am looking for the best hotel near PHX airport (up to 2 miles). Anyway, I've been in PHX on Feb-Mar 1995 (Yes that's 10 years ago!!!)

Here are what I need the following:
-Easy access PHX between hotel
-Reasonable prices (or lower prices)
-Security and Safety
-Nearby restaurants
-Best place to watch the planes from the hotel

I know that it would be very difficult for me to traveling to PHX all myself because I am hearing impaired. I will be visiting the following airports: PHX, TUS, GYR, FFZ, SDL and Pima Air Museum. So, I really hope to meet Arizona spotters/photographers. It would be so much fun there!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Any suggestion or recommendation would be greatly appreciated!!  Laugh out loud
Thanks!
John Perrotta/BDL

John A. Perrotta (KBDL/BDL) - Canon 300D/400D & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

visityyj

RE: Hotel Near PHX

Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:13 am

I haven't tried them all, but I don't know of any hotel at PHX from which you can observe the action. There used to be a flea-pit motel at the 09R threshold but it was (mercifully) demolished to make way for the new runway.

If you look at a map, you may be tempted by the Best Western just S. of the airport. My advice is forget it - although a few rooms face the airport all you can see is the freeway ! The area to the N. and W. of the airport can best be described as unsavoury, particulalry 24th Street, and it ought to be a source of shame to the airport authorities.

The best area is near the University, and there are some inexpensive yet acceptable hotels there - Fairfield Inn, Sleep Inn etc. but no food nearby unless you count the Hilton restaurant.

Not an encouraging picture, I'm sorry. Perhaps someone else knows better ?

JetJock22

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:10 am

Bdlguy, I was in Phoenix at the beginning of January and unfortunately I can't really remember any hotels being close enough to the airport to do any spotting from. I do however know some people in Phoenix. I can put you in contact with them if you'd like. Just send me an e-mail and let me know.

SHJ

Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:48 am

The Motel 6 Phoenix Airport is great for train spotters!