United4everDEN
Topic Author

Different Monitors, Different Results

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:05 am

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/N353US.jpg

The computer I use to edit photos has ones of those LCD flat screen monitors. The photo in question looked great on there. When I get down to this computer though, it appears really dark. What should I do, and how does it look to everyone else?

Thanks,
Ryan

Kukkudrill

RE: Different Monitors, Different Results

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:14 am

Can't see photo. Is your current monitor an old one? One of the PCs I use is an old machine with a monitor on which everything looks dark and I'd hate to have to edit photos on it. How do other photos in the db compare on the same monitor?
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

DLKAPA

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:18 am

Dead link.

In my experience, my flatscreen is so much better than the old monitor I used a long time ago, and a little bit over christmas break. The contrast is accurate, the monitor is sharp, it's amazing.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Newark777

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:22 am

I have an LCD on the computer I use to edit photos, and it was frustrating at first because it was not calibrated properly. Now that it is calibrated, it works great, as long as I look at it from the same angle.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

jumbojim747

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:31 am

So if a screener uses a different sort of monitor would it not look different to them then it does to us .?
Should we be editing on a flat screen TFT or CRT ?
On a wing and a prayer

Dehowie

Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:34 am

Interesting observation.
I just upgraded(downgraded) from a 19" CRT which was fantastic to a 19"LCD .
Both run at the same res but the refresh rate on the LCD is higher.
However for photo's the CRT kills the LCD.The LCD monitor is one of the better ones around after i spent quite some time looking at reviews and writeups etc.
However for photo's you just cannot beat a good CRT.
The LCD makes getting sharpening correct as jaggies are moe amplified on a LCD than CRT monitor.
The colors are great and very vivid although the monitor calibration program is useless as LCD's seem to have far more available contrast than a CRT.
I'd have to say the space i save having the flat panel is not worth the loss in image quality in both flight simulators and in some aspects of photo editing.
Given how cheap good 19" CRT's are i am seriously thinking about going back as space is not an issue.
Given the differences between them i'd imagine many people will get rejects for various reasons and many of them valid.
I have been having a run of sensor dirt which i can't pick up on my LCD.
Why? Well with the contrast only down at 40 on a 100 scale the spots don't jump out like they used to.If i turn up the contrast then the screen becomes so intense it is unusable for any length of time.
I'd be saying differences in monitors is already causing problems and it will only get worse with no LCD calibration setup around for all to use.
Seeya
Darren
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L