cwaterwo

G'Day And Could A Newbie Please Get Some Help.

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:58 pm

Hello Folks around the world.

I have spent the last few years as a visitor enjoying this fantastic site immensely and wanted to get into this hobby/passion myself. I knew nothing about photography and made the mistake of buying a point and shoot thinking it would cut the grade, but alas no. I'll keep it for parties.

I am now the proud owner of a 300D, and begging she who must be obeyed to buy a suitable zoom lens. I do however, have access to loan some lenses in the short term.

I have searched for info in the forums but couldn't find anything with the complete picture (pardon the pun) but would anyone know of a great internet site that will teach me all the facets of DSLR photography. I mean I'm talking the lot, that would be best suited for our type of photography.

I have realised that that the full auto or preset modes on the camera will not achieve the standard in aviation photography I desire and I will need to go manual and make all the settings myself. I just require the knowledge to make informed decisions on these settings.

I would really appreciate some help with this to avert too much more bumbling around.

Kind Regards To All.

Chris

sulman

RE: G'Day And Could A Newbie Please Get Some Help.

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:42 pm

Chris,

Buy a 'basics' book. Seriously. The fundamentals of DSLR photography are no different to any other kind of photography. The fact that it's aviation related really makes no difference - the lessons are the same.

I would also suggest some separate reading in the form of a PS Elements guide (the software that ships with the 300D) so that you can get a good understanding of how to work with images.

Cheers

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

diezel

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:08 pm

I agree with James. Just do some googling and you will find sites, reviews, courses, etc.

You can start here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digresources.html#digicam

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

cwaterwo

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:37 am

James and Roel,

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I'll do some googling and also get down to the library. I was thinking a book would be the best, sometimes you just can't beat the old ink and paper.

I hope I can share some pics from my part of the world real soon.

Cheers

Chris.

Stealthz

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:54 am

Chris,

Previous posters advice is very good but you might also take a look here-
http://www.shortcourses.com/using/index.htm

It is a good starting point...

On top of that.. there is no substitute for shooting... you will learn a little bit everytime you press the shutter

Rgds

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

cwaterwo

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:34 am

Chris, Mate!

That's what i'm talking about. Something to get me started, that looks really helpful.

Thanks very much.

Chris.