United4everDEN
Topic Author

Why Not Put A Date, If You Have One?

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:45 pm

Just curious as to why a lot of photographer will upload all their photos as February, 2005 when they know the specific day it was taken. I find that kind of information useful, but I also believe it is vital in maintaining a detailed and accurate database. Do you think this should be allowed? What is gained from not putting in exact dates, but just the month?

Thanks

(Also, I am not going to name any specific photographers unless asked to do so.)

ua777222

RE: Why Not Put A Date, If You Have One?

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:50 pm

Well I know for a fact that after a week long of spotting and neglect to my CF Card that I can forget the days I took a certain shot. Now do you want a fake date or no date?

Thanks again,

Ua777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

mikephotos

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:08 pm

This has been discussed before and yes there are good reasons. It should be allowed.

Mike

N317AS

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:55 pm

Some people should be at work when they are out photographing. Therefore if they have a shot from 2/7/2005 on a.net, when they were supposed to be at work, and there boss sees it. OOOPS!!! If the date is 2/2005, it's less incriminating.
This doesn't apply for all, but it's one reason.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

scubblee

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:52 pm

Its for security purposes sometimes....

scbriml

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:52 pm

Quote:
Well I know for a fact that after a week long of spotting and neglect to my CF Card that I can forget the days I took a certain shot.

I doubt my Nikon is any different to other digital cameras, but when you save your CF card to your PC, the files all have a nicely convenient timestamp that will tell you exactly when you took the photo.  Big grin
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Airplanepics

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:54 pm

Quoting N317AS (reply 3):
Some people should be at work when they are out photographing. Therefore if they have a shot from 2/7/2005 on a.net, when they were supposed to be at work, and there boss sees it. OOOPS!!! If the date is 2/2005, it's less incriminating.
This doesn't apply for all, but it's one reason.

Couldn't you just look at the EXIF data? That tell's you the date and a lot of other useful information.

Simon
Simon - London-Aviation.com

9A-CRO
Crew

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:03 pm

Quoting Airplanepics (reply 6):
Couldn't you just look at the EXIF data? That tell's you the date and a lot of other useful information.

EXIF is stripped from file by upload scripts.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

DLKAPA

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:07 pm

You also leave a trail for the local airport security.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

fergulmcc

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:07 pm

Hold on Chaps, and ladies!

All digital cameras, even the most baisic ones Time and Date stamp each photo. Can you not just look at when the photo was taken when down load the photo from the camera  Confused
All the info is there including the settings of the camera and the histogram etc.

Ryan, some of the older photos can't be dated so well, unless the photographer kept a recoed of all his shots manualy.
Digital has all the info there, so I can't see where the probelm is there. If you're out shooting when you supposed to be in work, please tell me the name of the company as I would love to apply for a job there.  Big thumbs up

Fergul Big grin
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

DLKAPA

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:11 pm

Quoting Fergulmcc (reply 9):
If you're out shooting when you supposed to be in work, please tell me the name of the company as I would love to apply for a job there.

Not necessarily all companies allow their employees to photograph. I doubt it's done often, but I'm sure it's done.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

fergulmcc

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm

I kinda figured that Eric, Big grin

It was just a bit of light humour, I ain't gonna give up this well paid job, trust me!  Big grin

Take care

Fergul  Big thumbs up
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

Airplanepics

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Quoting 9A-CRO (reply 7):
EXIF is stripped from file by upload scripts.

But you could look at the EXIF data before uploading, the date/time will still be there.
Simon - London-Aviation.com

707CMF

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:21 pm

For me, there was a time where I was taking extended lunch breaks to go shooting at CMF. My company was not so keen at it, so to avoid any problem, I usually did not upload the day of the month.

Another time when I did it, is after having been granted cockpit access inflight on an airline that forbids, I did not upload the date so that the captain would not have any problem with that.

Cheers,