DLKAPA
Topic Author

A Different Kind Of Photography

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:10 am

Ok after seeing the work of Troy Pavia, I, Being the enterprising person I am, have decided to explore the use of Gels, flashlights, and glowsticks in night photography. I found two really nice 1,000,000 CP spots from wal-mart (spending a total of 15 bucks on both) and a set of assorted gels from B&H. One picture I took with the spots before the gels arrived was this one, note the highlight on top of the Concrete tower:

And here are the gels that I bought:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...list&A=details&Q=&sku=38220&is=REG

I'm hoping to apply this to aviation photography when I get back up in Denver and get some good ramp/night access at APA (if that's still kosher), also using different White balance bracketing techniques to bring out certain colors.

Just curious if anybody else here has any experience in this kind of thing, also, some of Troy's pictures can be found here:

http://www.lostamerica.com/lostframe.html

Thoughts?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

DLKAPA
Topic Author

RE: A Different Kind Of Photography

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:18 pm

Here are some samples from tonight:

Blue and Red gel, the red dindn't work out as intended, but the blue was spactacular. Also a white balance bracket:

An old train engine on display, note how I highlighted the back with the green spot:

This one from the overlook, just a nice night shot:
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

siggi757

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:10 pm

Pretty cool. I might look into this myself  Smile

FlyFloats

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:55 pm

Hey Eric

Time exposure photos at night have been a pet project of mine ever since I started snapping photos 7 or 8 years ago. I never got into using filters, but have experimented with flash (sometimes multiple flashes of the same subject in different parts of the frame - makes a cool effect). Mainly I use ambient light to shoot star trails and the northern lights. It is all trial and error, but this is where having a digital would come in handy. You could immediately see if the exposure was right, then correct fir it. I shoot slides so don't have to option to correct exposure options under the same conditions.

I love some of the night photos I've seen on a.net recently, I'm hoping to give it a shot in my area soon. Best of luck.

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:34 pm

Yeah, having RAW is pretty nice for some of these shots (the overlook, for example). I'm thinking of getting back into film once I have my L glass. It'll probably end up being a Canon Rebel if I decide to go in.