Thom@s
Topic Author

Photographers, Ever Felt Like You Need A Break?

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:10 pm

I don't normally take photos at airports that often. On average, perhaps just once a month. But anyway, this week I've visited two airports and have come home with about 120 pictures... After looking through them, I felt that I got more or less what I wanted, but I just couldn't feel "happy" about any of the photos I took.

A couple of years back when I started taking pictures of aircraft, I had poor equipment, but everytime I got an ok photo, I'd absolutely love it. Even if it got rejected on this site...  Smile

Now I have far better equipment, and the quality has gone up a lot. My photos are now what I dreamed of having 3-4 years ago. But the passion of taking these photos are virtually non-existent. It's almost as if I subconsciously don't really enjoy taking these photos.

Has this ever happened to any of you?

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

fergulmcc

RE: Photographers, Ever Felt Like You Need A Break?

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:51 pm

Quoting Thom@s (reply 0):
Now I have far better equipment, and the quality has gone up a lot. My photos are now what I dreamed of having 3-4 years ago. But the passion of taking these photos are virtually non-existent. It's almost as if I subconsciously don't really enjoy taking these photos.

I've just invested in a couple of grands worth of L Lenses and do think if I told the wife that I have just lost interest in taking photos, what she would do with those lenses. I shudder to think.

Hell NO! I'm even more enthusiastic to take photos now. Give these babies a real going over. The quality of my photos has improved a huge amount and couldn't be happier with them. I'm Loving it!!
i'm still waiting for my first uploads to be screened and hopefully they will pass. Have a look at this German Wings

Fergul  Big thumbs up
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

Thom@s
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:03 pm

Actually, I recently got a brand new camera. The photos come out brilliant. But it feels like it is too easy to take these high quality photos. I almost expect a perfect result every time I press the button. Maybe my standards are too high?  Confused

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

dendrobatid

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:24 pm

Thomas
I know how you feel.
When I look back on my old photographs the quality is really poor compared to what I can do today, but often it was as good as you could get at the time, almost 30 years ago.
What is not really there today is the variety in the aircraft and most of us are taking very similar shots of landings or approach that would have been difficult years ago.
Strings of 737s and Airbusses will get tedious eventually and I am already wondering what to do differently.
Something that is difficult to do presents more of a challenge and will remain stimulating for longer.
Too easy ?
Maybe that came at the point autofocus became reliable and auto-exposure more accurate.
It is funny but I felt more satisfaction with a pretty sharp panned photo taken on my manual focus, manual exposure with Kodachrome 25, (the shot I am thinking of being a Tornado landing at Farnborough if anyone is interested)
Mick Bajcar

bigphilnyc

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:27 pm

Quoting Thom@s (reply 2):
The photos come out brilliant. But it feels like it is too easy to take these high quality photos. I almost expect a perfect result every time I press the button. Maybe my standards are too high?

I think I can relate. I am often expecting perfect results but don't always get them. Why not? Because the conditions (weather runway usage, etc.) are not always perfect and no matter how good my camera is, I'm not in control of that.

I also worry that any day now my camera will break or jsut stop taking good photos. Weird, but it's a constant worry of mine. But every now and again, like last week when I went shooting, I saw that it still does pretty damn good, just needs a sensor cleaning. lol

i've had mine for less than a year, and the interst fades sometimes, but something happens to kick it back up. I'm sure you'll experience the same.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

INNflight

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:30 pm

Sorry, I've NEVER had this feeling. Acutally it's the other way round.
I usually go shooting ( aviation, to say! ) once a week, every Saturday if weather is good and every morning i get up motivated as hell, grab my things and head out.

So far, everytime I grab my camera I'm excited and love it, like on the first day of shooting. This won't change anyday, I think.

Florian
Jet Visuals

LHRSIMON

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:56 pm

Yeah i have just had my worst week for photography/computers.

First of all my DVD in my computer decided to die.

Then my built in media reader and decided to die and not read any cards.

Then last night my kids magaged to lose my 512 gb CF card !!!

I did go through a little phase a few months ago asking myself WHY am i doing this. BA A320 after A320 were landing and to be honest i was pretty board with it...... It was then i decided to myself that i was concentrating to much on one subject (aircraft). So it was decided that i would split my photography a bit more and get involved with sporting photograhy (ice hockey) as well as aviation.

It was a very good choice as not only has it improved my photographic knowledge. But i also find i enjoy the aviation much more. Im also now far more selective in my approach. Ie i will not take photo after photo of standard aircraft. I will go to new airfields more. Or wait for a certain aircraft to be comming to LHR before i make a visit. I will still visit LHR for the day but will be trying to find differnet places to shoot etc etc...

I believe that photography can be as dull or exciting as the PHOTOGRAPHER wants to make it. After all its you holding the camera ....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Simon C
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

jamotcx

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:57 pm

Quoting Thom@s (reply 0):
But the passion of taking these photos are virtually non-existent. It's almost as if I subconsciously don't really enjoy taking these photos

Thats one of the major reasons I sold all my gear. I love being at the airport and taking the photos.

But i now have sooo many that havent been edited I just thought whats the point in taking so many pics if I never do anything with them.

I only have a small number of photos in the database because of this.

Jamo

gkirk

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:12 pm

Thom@s, I think you need to visit more airports and explore some new angles to take pics, or even try taking pics of a subject other than aviation.

Experiment with your camera (the way that KRO....wait, this aint the non av forum)  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

fergulmcc

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:16 pm

Quoting LHRSIMON (reply 6):
I believe that photography can be as dull or exciting as the PHOTOGRAPHER wants to make it. After all its you holding the camera ....

Couldn't have said it better Simon  Big thumbs up
Photography is not just about aviation, its about life and what you find interesting. I do firmly believe that you should diversify, be it people, night skys etc. I do a lot of wildlife when I get the chance, when I'm on Holiday.
I will never sell my gear, other than to upgrade. I love photography and I too look for better and different ways to capture a subject, like avaition.

There will always be a lul period of when you get fed up a bit, but I always come back to it, always will.

Fergul Big grin

IAH777

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:37 pm

Stepping up in equipment added fuel to my fire last month. Prior to that, I can't really say my enthusiasm waned. There was always something of interest -- even if it was one of 'the usual suspects.'

I suppose my point is that after hours of shooting with nothing out of the ordinary, I still go home with Christmas morning-like anticipation to see the results of my efforts. I love this hobby and I believe it becomes more entertaining as my skills become more refined.

elcableguy77

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:45 pm

Thomas:
I suppose that after doing a lot of photography in a short stretch, one might get a little burned out, kinda like when I was a kid, eating an entire box of ice cream in one sitting. After that, I didn't want to see any ice cream for a while. But I eventually had ice cream again.
I think the same goes for photography. Like others have said, try shooting a different subject, try a different angle, or set up a shot for a particular time of day (i.e. dusk or sunrise). That way, you have a bit of variety in your pictures.
Goodness knows, I'm just getting started in my photography hobby, and I don't see my enthusiasm waning any time soon. I'll just be wary of the local cops next time (right, Fergul?).

-Gavin
Former ZW F/A | "Wisconsin 72A, contact departure, see ya."

Thom@s
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:47 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.  Smile

Simon, I guess you're right. The pictures i admired a few years ago are too common now. I suppose going for something more "artistic" would benefit my interest, and get me motivated for aviation photography again... However, going artistic means not getting photos accepted on a.net. (Nothing new in that really..)  Big grin

GKirk, Like I said, I've visited two airports this week, one of which I've never visited before, and gotten photos of aircrafts and airlines I've not photographed before. Just yesterday I got my first pics of a Ryanair plane, and an A321.  Smile How sad that it's my first time, but still that cheered me up a bit. Anyway, the financial issue ensures that I won't be able to visit any new airports for a while...  Laugh out loud

Thanks again.  Smile

Thom@s

gkirk

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:22 pm

Ok then Thom@s, just give up taking pics all together then  Big grin  Laugh out loud
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

FlyFloats

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:41 pm

Hi Thom@s

Yes, I can relate. I've been primarily a scenic photographer for many years, but noticed over time that my enthusiasm was starting to fade. I would still love it when I was out shooting, but I was getting up less and less before sunrise to be set up at the perfect spot. Like many others have said, that changed when I started shooting different subjects (ie airplanes). Shooting a different subject, which moved (quickly!), gave me a whole new challenge to master, one which I am still working on.

So that is my advice to you - find something else you are interested in, and concentrate on mastering that. Whether or not you still shoot the planes, and I sure hope you do, changing your subject will feed your photographic appetite.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:24 am

GKirk, Ok. I'll hang up my camera for good.  Smile

FlyFloats, sounds like a plan. I'll see if any other motives come along.

Thom@s

Lindy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:42 am

Thomas,

I only needed a break once. Last December after spending over 30 hours in 3 days at MIA. Two days at home and I was recovered  Smile

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

NIKV69

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:03 am

I hope that never happens to me! I will admit in the winter I go to LAS and IFP way too much and then I just put the camera away for a few days and take a week off but then I am itching again to go back but to be bored of taking quality pics and getting them accepted at any aviation site more so this one will never get old for me!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Lindy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:36 am

Worst are weekends with bad weather. If I don't go and take pictures at least once each weekend I'm getting "trigger release syndrome" in my right index finger.
This is really bad disease.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

mygind66

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:51 am

Sometimes this problem is related to have a lot of free time. I've noticed you're quite young...Try to get married, have a pair of kids and then you'll see how your personal time is GONE!
My problem is that I have no even 2 hours for photography nowadays and when I'm 'free' is something like Florian said before..

All the best

Enrique

Gary2880

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:00 am

Actually, I recently got a brand new camera. The photos come out brilliant. But it feels like it is too easy to take these high quality photos

painfuly agree, ive been moaning to my mate about that very thing lately, sometimes feel that i should buy a normal 35mm camera and learn how to take real photos then go back to my digital, i feel my photos are too fake, if i take a photo and look at it on the LCD i usualy think, bit wide i can edit it, bit dark i can edit it, battering off the shutter button heaps of times to get the right photo when in ye oldy days you should choose a couple of angles you want and take that. i want to teach myself how to take good photos first time not think ah nevermind ill edit it

does'nt help having incredibly boring planes at dyce either
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Staffan

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:25 am

Don't forget that there are loads of ways to "edit" a photo in the darkroom too so just because it's digital and it takes less time to edit doesn't mean it's fake. Slides on the other hand you can't do as much with.

Staffan

Christian

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:26 am

I used to think that when I photgraphed on paper, every time I went to Fuji and get my rolls out. Why, and what the hell am I doing??? So boring to put 'em in to album, write the regestrations and so on.

But the fire came back, the same day I bought my 10D. Never regret that I bought a camera and other stuff for, what I think right now 6000 USD.

/Christian
If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough

GPHOTO

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:29 am

Thom@s:

I recently spent a few days in Venice (my third trip), a strange and beautiful city. Anyway, I had a shot of the flight there and some of the airport on the way home accepted here, but I digress!

It was Carnevale time so there were lots of people walking around in costume, and one afternoon, just as the sun was sinking create a nice low angle, rich in yellows, I was outsde the Doge's Palace when we saw all these masked characters walking round in fantastic costumes. I've got some pleasing shots, but above all, a couple of close ups of the face of this one character (a lady, with a unicorn horn and a red rose) has left me deeply moved. The beauty of the shot, for me, was incredible. The light, the pose, the eyes visible through the mask and the red rose against the white costume just clicked something in my mind. Without a doubt these were the most satisfying shots I have ever taken in my life and the first time I have ever felt this way about a photograph of a human, or anything. In fact I am worried I will never take a shot as satisfying as this again (but I'll keep trying!). I never thought photography would ever effect me this way - its like the visual equivalent of a piece of music that really gets into your soul and makes your the hairs on your arm stand on end. I wasn't looking for inspiration or to increase my passion for photography when I went to Venice, but I got it given to me anyway. So, who knows when life will send you a moment like this - just keep your camera handy, just in case!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

Liskatze

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:12 am

Thom@s, wait for your first spotting trip with wrong camera settings - I bet you'll be happy in the future, if everything works like you want, although it might be easy!!

Two weeks ago I've been in BKK for a few days, on Saturday I wanted to take pics a few hours, especially my husband's take off with the Lufthansa 747-400 to Manila.

Thanks to Kok Chwee Sim, I found a fantastic location for spotting take offs in the afternoon - but hell, my camera didn't focus like it should do it! I've cleaned the sensor still in Germany, took a test photo with aperture f27 - and forgot to set the camera back to time preference! I didn't realize that for almost three hours. Just in the moment my husband's 744 took off I realized the wrong camera settings, didn't notice it before because of tons of light in Bangkok...

Tons of light, but not enough for really sharp pictures, so the result of three hours on a bridge in hot sun are largely litter... My husband stopped me getting crazy when he came back from Manila in the night, he decided that we go back to the bridge in Pha Hon Yo Thin Road the next again - instead of traveling to the River Kwai Bridge!!

The second day everything works well and I got many amazing BKK shots. I couldn't imagine that things like wrong camera setting will happen to me - but shit happens!! Like LHRSimon said, after all its you holding the camera ...

Wish you many happy spotting trips, without wrong camera setting, wrecked CF-cards, bad light or whatever might happen  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Anne

Staffan

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:22 am

I have standard settings for tv, av, m, ev comp etc. that I always reset after a shoot and check before a shoot. Kind of a habit now. No messups so far.

Staffan

jumbojim747

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:01 am

Thom@s
I wish i had your problem of having a good shot every time i pressed the button.
On a wing and a prayer

wietse

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:09 am

I have had this feeling for a long time, and I have only been to AMS once in the last 2 months. But I am enjoying other forms of photography very much.

And before anyone starts yelling that I have to visit other airports, I will in April Big grin. I will visit enough for the coming decade  Big grin
Wietse de Graaf

aero145

RE: Photographers, Ever Felt Like You Need A Break

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:28 am

Big grin  Smile I understand...

Staffan

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:37 am

I think it's good to become bored with one subject. It makes me go shooting other things, learning new things. Then when going back with the newly collected knowledge, it's easier to approach things in a different way.
Haven't been doing any serious airport photography for a very long time now though, just live too far away. Hopefully that will change in the future.

Staffan

maiznblu_757

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:43 am

Quoting Fergulmcc (reply 1):
I've just invested in a couple of grands worth of L Lenses and do think if I told the wife that I have just lost interest in taking photos, what she would do with those lenses. I shudder to think.

Exactly. My wife would be my ex-wife if I just said, "Hey, it was just a phase, gonna quit now"

There is a new sickness, recently recognized by top researchers in the medical profession now, be careful. I dont know to much about this sickness, but, it has to do with 'L' Lenses. There is no cure.

Chad

BO__einG

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:08 am

I understand the feeling of the whole bored with avation photography scheme.
One of the biggest reasons why it seems that the fulfillment of taking aviation pictures isn't so fun anymore is that accomplishing this task is just too easy.
With the latest DSLR's, it's so ridiculously easy that even an adolescent can take wicked quality shots of planes at the airport especially action shots because all the photographer needs to do it seems, is to just point the camera at the plane and press the shutter button. The sophisticated $1500+ worth of equipment within the lens and body will do all the adjustments like 7-9-point focus, deph-of-field, lighting/aperature, exposure compen, and shutter to automatically make the picture come out good for ya. Photographers are getting lazy and are forgetting the pure days of what it was like when shooting with manual adjustments. When a good photo appears after the photographers own input, the feeling of accomplishment and refresh is much greater than doing the same with a digital camera. For me, the "climax" score is Digicam:5pts, Manual SLR:1000pts. -My Best and most difficult and cherished shots were all thru my manual SLR and lens.

But of course other factors do definetly take place that can also give you that feeling especially if you don't travel that much, or your airport is mostly mundane stuff over and over again. There were times when I just didn't bother with aviation because it was just too boring even with my old equip.

But now things have changed. For myself, I found that I express great hate towards my digital camera due to its lag and quality, and therefore will continue to shoot slides/prints with my old 25 year old Nikon EM camera on mundane 737-200s because they are due to be retired in months. It is much tougher to get good shots due to its obsolete photographic processes and hell, its all dependent on aperature priority so good exposure is still tough to get. Many shots have failed but the few that make it, they look brilliant and it makes me very happy.  Smile

Eventually this camera will retire soon as parts are loosening or starting to fail. I actually do my shooting with a C-Clamp tightened to the body so it wont screw up my photo taking.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:09 pm

Quoting Lindy (reply 18):
If I don't go and take pictures at least once each weekend I'm getting "trigger release syndrome" in my right index finger.
This is really bad disease.

Well, I suppose I'd rather be a bit "fed up" with av_photography than consumed by it. Any therapy lessons you can take to get over this Rafal?  Smile

Quoting Mygind66 (reply 19):
I've noticed you're quite young...Try to get married, have a pair of kids and then you'll see how your personal time is GONE!

Hehe, well I think I'll take one step at a time.  Smile Thanks for the advice though...

Quoting Liskatze (reply 24):
Thom@s, wait for your first spotting trip with wrong camera settings -

What do you mean "Wait for your first?" I've had so many in the past I couldn't count.  Smile My new FZ-20 takes some ok photos even if the settings aren't 100% right, but I'm still looking for that perfect shot..

Quoting JumboJim747 (reply 26):
Thom@s
I wish i had your problem of having a good shot every time i pressed the button.

Rest assured I have many crappy photos...  Smile

Well, anyway I'm only two weeks away from perhaps starting a new job as ATCAS at Karmøy airport, not far from where I live. Working with planes everyday... Hmm, that could either be a good thing or make me even more opposed to taking photos of them. We'll see. I'm sure I'll bounce back in the end. Big grin

Thanks for the replies.

Thom@s

Lindy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:56 pm

Thom@s,

The only cure for this known disease is trip to JFK, MIA or FLL. I've heard rumors that trip to LAX or LAS would help too, but thats playing with the devil. From the East coast to LAX/LAS its about 5 hours flying time. Many people didn't make it. They started shooting in the cabin.
And thats why we have so many cabin shots in the database Big grin

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Thom@s
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:22 pm

Hehe, ah that explains it.  Laugh out loud

Thom@s

QANTAS077

Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:00 am

traded my old DSLR in septmeber for a new one and have used it for a total of about 20 days altogether, the enthusiasm starts to waiver after a while so i concentrate on work and surfing and relaxing in between trips, my next outing will see me head off to Sfo, Anc, Yvr and Jfk in april, beats sitting around here taking photos of the same boring shit.

sulman

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting BO__einG (reply 31):
With the latest DSLR's, it's so ridiculously easy that even an adolescent can take wicked quality shots of planes at the airport especially action shots because all the photographer needs to do it seems, is to just point the camera at the plane and press the shutter button. The sophisticated $1500+ worth of equipment within the lens and body will do all the adjustments like 7-9-point focus, deph-of-field, lighting/aperature, exposure compen, and shutter to automatically make the picture come out good for ya.

This simply isn't true. You still need some sound basic knowledge to make shots work, even with the most intelligent DSLR. Leave it on auto and chances are it'll cock something up, either the ISO speed, AF point, or exposure. After all that is done, you have to bring the frame up to quality in Photoshop. That's quite a range of skills.

I'd put my head on the block and say that I find my Dad's old Nikkormat FTn far easier to use. All you had to do was get the exposure right (a piece of piss with the simple centre weighted meter), focus, and you get a very nice print. It's also great fun.

Thomas, if you're getting bored, go out and find something else to shoot. There's a whole world of colour and interesting things to see, just walk out and have a look around.

Sign up for membership for some other photographic forums, and look at them for inspiration.

Cheers

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

Wanderer

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:35 am

I have experienced mild burn out in aspects of my interests, but never to the degree where I would give up altogether. The secret is to diversify and that keeps things fresh.

Going completely digital has made me more enthusiastic about my photography, not less. I experiment more, which I didn't do when I used 35mm film, due to cost.

Thomas, I'd suggest you take a break for a while, then you'd return to it with renewed enthusiasm.  Smile

Thom@s
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:56 pm

Quoting Wanderer (reply 37):
Thomas, I'd suggest you take a break for a while, then you'd return to it with renewed enthusiasm.

Noted.  Smile

Thom@s

jran225

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:00 pm

Hey Thomas,

I too went through this phase quite recently and it was miserable, to say the least! It all happened during a two week period, when the weather was absolutely horrible: Clouds every day, very cold and we'd consider ourselves lucky if it wasn't raining. I tried to go spotting a few times during these two weeks (this was during a school break) and came home with horrible results. Normally my results are very good, but the weather just didn't allow for good photographs and I knew that perfectly well, yet I was still very disappointed in my work. Eventually the clouds cleared and I went out to BWI for a good spotting session. I was having a great time, until I suddenly became quite bored and unenthusiastic. I was afraid that I was losing my passion for aviation, but deep inside, I knew that that was just impossible. I then decided to take a "mini-break". I put away my camera, took out the binoculars and watched the aircraft for a while. I watched them gracefully turn onto finals and correct their courses until they would cruise past me and settle onto the runway. After repeating this for two or three aircraft, my enthusiasm was back with avengance and when I got home I had a ball going through my images......this might work for you too Thomas!  Wink/being sarcastic

Regards,
-Omar S. Smile

P.S:
Quoting LHRSIMON (reply 6):
Then last night my kids magaged to lose my 512 gb CF card !!!

You have a 512GB CF card Simon?!?!?!?!?! Laugh out loud
Never tell your girlfriend about all the 'action' you're getting at the airport - only photogs understand that.

tappan

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:34 pm

As far as aviation photography is concerned...I feel as if one can always keep "fresh" and enthusiastic if one maybe tries a different lens one day or goes out at sunrise (I know sunrise is tough with airport noise rules...) or sunset....Find the beautiful light and turn the "usual" jet photo into a piece of art.
Mark G

fergulmcc

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:54 pm

Thomas

I have recently joined and camera club and I have found it to be one of the best things I have ever done. They hold monthly competitions that are judged by other camera clubs and you get to see so much work and you learn from that. Shots that are really right in front of you everyday of your life, different angles and different ways to shoot the same thing and still get amazing results, i.e. you learn different techniques. We meet once a week and for about 2hrs. It takes you away from aviation a bit and you learn to use photography in way that you never thought. You get to see other photographer’s work which can give you ideas for your shots. Give it a try and see how you get on. Usually you can sit in on the first couple of meetings, just to see if it’s what you want.
It’s worth a try.

Take care

Fergul  Big thumbs up

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:06 pm

Thanks again for the advice.

Tappan, I really like the sound of that suset/sunrise idea. Would be nice to get this kind of photo again...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thomas Andre Hjelmen

I'll give it a try. I already feel a small urge to grab the camera and head for the nearest airport...  Smile

Thom@s

Thom@s
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:08 am

Well, I took the advice to try some late evening / Sunset photos. And I must say I'm feeling quite happy with the result.  Smile I'm finally back to the stage where I kick myself for missing "that shot". My one chance to photograph an ATR-42 as it taxied past the huge moon in the background, with the low sun setting on the horizon, ended up in nothing as I was occupied fooling around with the camera. *Slaps head*.

But I still got some photos I'm happy with. So hopefully, I'm back in business again.  Smile

Thom@s