mfz

Viewing-Area Inside SFO's Terminals?

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:15 pm

Hi everybody!

I will be in San Francisco this weekend for some sightseeing. Thus, spotting will only be a minor issue (if one at all...), but I was still wondering if there's any kind of observation-terrace or viewing-area accessible from inside the terminal where I could just go for a little while prior to departure. We will leave on Lufthansa, so our departure will be from the International Terminal.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Cheers, Michael
Extra Bavariam non est vita et si est non est ita! --- My flights: http://my.flightmemory.com/mfz

skidmarks

RE: Viewing-Area Inside SFO's Terminals?

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:59 pm

Michael,

I found a coffee shop/pizza place in Terminal 2 which gave a good view over part of the apron and of the hangars, albeit distant. Not sure if you could get any pics from there though. I think all I managed was an AA 737 at one of the stands, and that was through the glass.

Coffee was good though.

Andy
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

xpfg

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:59 pm

The simple answer to this is "no" unfortunately. SFO has no observation decks from within the terminals, however, the international terminal itself is quite nice. Enjoy your stay by the bay!  Smile

mfz

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks for your help guys! I already feared something like that, but as I won't be spending too much time at the airport anyway it's no big deal.

I am much rather looking forward to fleeing -25 degrees C and mountains of snow here in Munich/Germany and trade that in for spring-like, sunny weather (hopefully...).

Anyway, thanks again! Cheers,

Michael
Extra Bavariam non est vita et si est non est ita! --- My flights: http://my.flightmemory.com/mfz

ua777222

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:13 am

Cameron is right. There is no real spotting area to view aircraft at SFO. You have to leave the airport to get to any good sites. The park is ok but I use the rental garage when I can. I'll be there Sunday probably (might go up in a friends 172 instead) so if you're around drop me a note and I'll show you around. If you have a car there are a few spots on SFO approach that you can grab a few good shots.

Thanks again,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

Christian

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:22 am

How about the domestic terminal?

I'll be in SFO next weekend, arriving from ORD, is it possible to take photos of my arriving aircraft, it will be an UA B-777.

/Christian
If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough

mfz

Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:32 pm

@ UA777222

Thanks for your offer. Depending on our planned schedule I'll email you the latest by Saturday evening. Otherwise we'll just be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure like an other traveller. Thing is: I'll be travelling with a friend who is nothing into planespotting, so spending half a day or so at the airport with only being in S.F. for three days is no option...

But thanks a lot anyway!

Cheers,
Michael

xpfg

Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Quoting Christian (reply 5):
How about the domestic terminal?

I'll be in SFO next weekend, arriving from ORD, is it possible to take photos of my arriving aircraft, it will be an UA B-777.

/Christian

Christian,
Let me know your flight #, date, and scheduled arrival time.

Christian

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:14 am

Xpfg: Flight UA 149, thursday 10th march, ETA 5:27 pm.

/Christian

ake0404ar

Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:10 am

Michael,

there are a ton of spots inside the International Terminal where you can get some neat shots, depending on the time of day of course. Since you will be leaving around 2pm, there should be some heavis at the gates. SIA 777, ANA, lot's of UA planes etc.

Shooting thru the windows is an option. Not tinted at all.

Enjoy your stay. If I was around, we could have met up.

Vasco G.

xpfg

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:58 am

Christian...I'll be there.

Christian

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:04 am

Xpfg: Thanks for that, looking forward to see the photos (if any).

But I think I didn't write quite good there, what I meant was that, if it was possible to take photos from the gate, through the window, on my plane, when I had arrived to SFO.

/Christian

mfz

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:12 am

Hi all!

Being back from SFO I must admit that I didn't really take too many planepictures - but a lot of other photos in and around San Francisco. The best thing was that it was snowing at home in MUC while we had warm and sunny weather...  Smile

@Vasco G.

Thanks for your tips and so on... I actually got some nice shots through the windows before departure. However, they are all high ISO because they were taken in the dark. I didn't take the afternoon-LH to FRA but the 9.15 PM LH to MUC which was more convenient for me and gave us another complete day to enjoy the City by the Bay. I'll try to upload some of the nightshots when I get the time, maybe they pass the screening... Will you be back in MUC one day? I'd be honored to meet you there then!  Wink

Cheers,
Michael