Regis
Topic Author

Yet Another SXM Pic As Top Of The Day!

Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:58 am

Am I the only one tired of logging into airliners.net to see an SXM pic as top the day? Those shots at Princess Juliana are nice but they are sort of getting old. Always the the same angle of a widebody passing over a bunch of semi-naked tourists bathing in turquoise water. Enough is enough. Can the a.net photographers be a bit more creative?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Starnes

aa61hvy

RE: Yet Another SXM Pic As Top Of The Day!

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:00 am

Regis- I agree with you, but you are going to get railed for your comments.
Go big or go home

kl911

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:01 am

It's just the most beautifull place on earth, with beautifull pictures taken. That's why..........

KL911

777ER
Crew

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:04 am

SXM is a.nets favourite airport. I find it surprising as too how low the aircraft land.

Regis, I suggest you get ready to get  flamed 
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

northwest 777

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:08 am

It's funny because I just happened to be thinking about it. And I even have an SXM picture as my desktop picture. But you gotta think about this, for those people who have just found this website, or haven't seen any SXM pictures, I'm sure they can really appreciate the fact that those pictures stay on the front page on a consistent basis. Doesn't really bother me though because its just one picture, and if I don't like it, I've got a database with thousands upon thousands more pictures just a couple clicks away. God I love this website!

KLMA330

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:23 am

Sounds like someone wishes they were there at this very moment Regis!  Wink

Come on, they're beautiful shots, and as Northwest777 so brilliantly said, nothing like loggin on to this website for the first time, not knowing anything about SXM, and seeing these pics! I'll never forget my first time, seeing the KLM 747 land over the beach! I was totally amazed!!!  Smile

airfinair

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:28 am

Regis,

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who may have a solution for you. Here's mine: I promise not to download the SXM pics anymore if you are willing to send me approx. $10,000 U.S. to spend on a 10-day vacation at Maho Beach. That way I'll have enough time to photograph many, many different aircraft for my personal collection and not spend time dreaming of some day making it down there. I can imagine it now - sitting on the beach with my scanner, my Nikon, my binoculars and a cool Caribean cocktail, the smell of the saltwater air and jet fuel exhaust lofting through the air! Hmmmmmmm, yummy! Thanks for the $$ in advance!

What, no deal? Ahhhhh, shucks! I guess I'll just keep downloading then....

ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NASâ

bongo

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:28 am

Regis:

I agree with you completely!! Let's pray for more imagination and for different angles!!.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

pilottim747

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting Regis (reply 0):
Am I the only one tired of logging into airliners.net to see an SXM pic as top the day? Those shots at Princess Juliana are nice but they are sort of getting old. Always the the same angle of a widebody passing over a bunch of semi-naked tourists bathing in turquoise water. Enough is enough.

I most certainly agree! SXM provides some great photos, I'll agree. However, even the best can get tiring after a while. There are certain shots that start to "spam" the a.net database.

Quoting Regis (reply 0):
Can the a.net photographers be a bit more creative?

I agree with this as well. The problem with creative shots is that they take a while to catch on. A lot of original angles and photos are rejected for not having motiv. The screeners are doing their job but I think sometimes creativity is limitied.

I do congradulate Vector Grafix and Jan Davidts on their popular and original shots.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vector Grafix
View Large View Medium

Photo © Vector Grafix

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Davidts

Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

N1120A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:37 am

Well, it is the members who keep clicking on those pictures. If they stop looking at SXM shots, they will stop being top of the day.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AirWales

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:40 am

Once you have seen one you have seen them all

nycflyer

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:41 am

the SXM shots are repetitive, but they never get old! I will never tire of looking at them.

Lockheed1011

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:44 am

Username: Regis ,

I couldn't agree with you more! Enough already with SXM.

Thank you Regis.  Smile

lnglive1011yyz

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:50 am

Personally I'm just glad to see another picture of something OTHER than the TU-144 and Concorde at night time, at the Museum in Germany.

I am completely tired of that shot. Two beautiful aircraft, too many pictures of the same thing.

SXM is getting tiring, but it's obviously a very popular spot, as they're always on the main page!

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

jorge1812

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:09 am

Quoting Kl911 (Reply 2):
It's just the most beautiful place on earth

No, it isn't. the most beautiful place on earth is beside the person who loves you and who you love.  kiss 

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 11):
I will never tire of looking at them

I thought the same one year ago, but now I'm  tired  tired of those normal SXM shots. Aren't there more angles to try out and to show us like Mark Garfinkel did.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Garfinkel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Garfinkel

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 13):
SXM is getting tiring, but it's obviously a very popular spot, as they're always on the main page!

You're right. So we should think about starting a threat to reopen Kai Tak - that would bring us many more, other than SXM, fascinating shots.

Bye, Georg.

jetav8r

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:20 am

To all the complainers above,

Would you still feel the same if it was your shot with 30,000 hits on the front page?

I've been there, I've seen the 747s over my head and have plenty of pictures from there, but I still look at nearly every upload from SXM because they're so damn cool! Keep in mind there are only a 1,000 some shots from SXM, that's a very low number compared to other airports. It'll be a while until I consider those type shots repetitive.

Always the the same angle of a widebody passing over a bunch of semi-naked tourists bathing in turquoise water

The past few top of the day shots I've seen involve a business jet just missing the fence or comming low over the water. So that always is an exagguration.

Alex.

KLGAviation

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:30 am

Guys,

I'll be there in a week, and I promise I'll bring you new angles.

Here's for plugging Big grin:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christopher Ryan

I highly doubt you'll be seeing many "plane-over-beach" side shots from me.

Chris
There is a fine line between a picture and a photo. The latter seems to be disappearing.

rg828

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 14):
You're right. So we should think about starting a threat to reopen Kai Tak - that would bring us many more, other than SXM, fascinating shots.

Somewhat true, but if that ever happened then we would have a Kai Tak shot on the 'top' lists every single day.

It would probably be: Kai Tak shots on the left, SXM shots on the right!
I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:41 am

Am I the only one tired of logging into airliners.net to see another post with someone bitching for no reason? Those posts are nice but they are sort of getting old. Always the same type of person who has contributed little if any to the success of this site putting down a photographer who's waited his life and saved his money to do what he loves. Enough is enough. Can the members be a bit more creative?

B

photopilot

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:44 am

St. Maarten..... Yawn, not again. Need I say more.

Steve

KLGAviation

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:51 am

By the way, here is an interesting point...

To all of your who are tired of St. Maarten shots, how many of you have actually been there??

Chris
There is a fine line between a picture and a photo. The latter seems to be disappearing.

QANTAS077

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting Kl911 (Reply 2):
It's just the most beautifull place on earth

you obviously need to see more of the world then! many more beautiful places out there that leave SXM for dead.

as for the photos, i stopped opening them a long time ago, same shit, different photographer!

AJO

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 14):
Aren't there more angles to try out and to show us like Mark Garfinkel did

Of course there are:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stephen A. Elliott

praise 
bla

corey07850

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:36 am

Along the same lines... is anyone else tired of the same shots coming of aircraft taking off from AMS??? Like SXM, the first 50 pictures you see are awesome, but it just gets old, but how many shots of KLM aircraft taking off do we need?

Example: (No offense to the photographer, this was just the first one I came across)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim de Groot - AirTeamImages

jakbar

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:38 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 18):
Am I the only one tired of logging into airliners.net to see another post with someone bitching for no reason? Those posts are nice but they are sort of getting old. Always the same type of person who has contributed little if any to the success of this site putting down a photographer who's waited his life and saved his money to do what he loves. Enough is enough. Can the members be a bit more creative?

I second that...

A346Dude

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:57 am

I don't see what the big deal is. If a large portion of a.net members want to see a particular photo, it gets top of the day. If you don't fit into that large portion, simply don't click the photo; instead, click the little link above it that says "top of last 24-48 hours". Was that so hard?
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

KLGAviation

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:56 am

Ahh, more evidence.

It's the top of the day because people CLICK on it. Big grin

Chris

Bobster2

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:59 am

By including a link to the SXM picture you're complaining about, all you're doing is generating more hits on that picture.  stirthepot 
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

bigphilnyc

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:56 am

I did a search in the database for "regis" and came up empty.

Regis, when you become a photographer, or if you can show us something better, then feel free to complain.

Until then, you're fucking welcome that 12,000 photographers buy expensive cameras and spend our free time upload photos here for free so you can bitch.

Sorry these photo don't meet your personal needs, even though thousands of others apparently enjoy them anyway.

I kept a lot of my profanity out of this that I would have liked to use.

Regards,

-Phillip Michael Derner Jr.
Phil Derner Jr.

QANTAS077

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:28 pm

Phil
with the utmost respect, i beg to differ, we aren't photographers, more so enthusiasts who just enjoy taking photos of planes, how many of the 12000 contributors have been to uni to study and gain a photographic degree?!?!

we choose to do it, some for monetary reasons, some for the love of aviation and some for a bit of both, seeing as though we contribute them it's only right that people can offer an opinion on what they like or dislike.

it's the price you pay for uploading to a public site, everyone's entitled to an opinion, if people don't like negative comments about the work then the simple solution is not to display them.

personally, i don't look at SXM photos anymore, the Stephen Elliott shot is one of the more original ones of late, the rest don't do much for me, though Mark Garfinkel has added some variety to the uploads.

AdamWright

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:43 pm

Quoting Regis (Thread starter):
Can the a.net photographers be a bit more creative?

They certainly can Regis.

This particurally creative and origional shot from SXM was rejected...

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...n?filename=AF_F-GZLRundertight.jpg

Thats just the way it goes I suppose, but there are definately other ways to photograph St. Maarten rather than the same old "side on, over the beach" shot.

-Adam

KLGAviation

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:56 pm

Chris Starnes, if you're reading this...

Would you mind if question the screeners as to why that photo was rejected?

Chris

tappan

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:57 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks Jorge....
I am going to St Maarten again March 14- March 18 I think......
And it is not just to shoot pics for a.net. Although I can't wait to try and shoot different angles...it is so fun there. Amongst other aviation people and warm and nice ladies and restaurants and bars etc.
Mark Garfinkel

bigphilnyc

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:08 pm

Appreciated, but if I'm giving free food to a homeless guy and he has the balls to bitch about the taste, I'll kick him into the street and tell him to get food somewhere else.

His comments were not criticism, they were rude and inappropriate.
Phil Derner Jr.

ua777222

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:09 pm

We all have are gripes. Trust me! Being that SFO is my home airport and I've been there PLENTY of times, I'm getting tired of seeing the same 2 a/c arrival on the 28's. But the fact of the matter is that those whom that are not from SFO or have not seen SFO will be shocked to see such an arrival. Now again seeing how I'm an SFO guy I sit in the park all day trying to catch a good shot while dealing with my lack of experience and natural barriers. While SFO approach might give someone a hard-on I get my kicks out of AMS. I feel that the lighting, surrounding, and overall detail of the a/c that is captured is something that I can ONLY hope to see in my lifetime which is why certain AMS shots get my clicks and the clicks of many other viewers whom feel the same.

Get over it is all I can say,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

Regis
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:11 pm

Quoting Aa61hvy (Reply 1):
Regis- I agree with you, but you are going to get railed for your comments.

Quoting 777ER (Reply 3):
Regis, I suggest you get ready to get flamed

How true!

But very interesting replies anyway. Thanks for all your comments on my rant - both positive and negative. The diversity of opinions and views is one of the reasons airliners.net is such a popular aviation website.

Warm regards,

Regis

jderden777

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:36 am

Quoting Regis (Thread starter):
Enough is enough. Can the a.net photographers be a bit more creative?

why is it that people complain about the special photos that get into the database....i'll admit that there are lots of similar shots from SXM but still it is an amazing place and is quite an interesting location for photos. chris had some other photos that i personally really liked, even much more so than the corsair shot, but were rejected, i believe for badmotiv.

bottom line, photographers are going to upload whatever photos they like, irregardless of what anyone else thinks....for chris i'm sure he likes that photo as it is from one of the cooler airports around, but never thought someone would complain about it...i like it, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion but really how can you be so critical of the good photos here.....i'm sure there are plenty of photos that are probably far less creative than the SXM photos that you can complain about
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

Morvious

Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 am

Quoting AirWales (Reply 10):
Once you have seen one you have seen them all

Well, we still didn't see the perfect picture if you know what I am talking about =).

I guess i never get tired of those photo's.

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 23):
Along the same lines... is anyone else tired of the same shots coming of aircraft taking off from AMS??? Like SXM, the first 50 pictures you see are awesome, but it just gets old, but how many shots of KLM aircraft taking off do we need?

If you think this way, you will be out of this place in a short time! Not to offence you, let me explain.

Amsterdam is a very popular airport for plane spotting.

But, with more and more photos uploaded every day at airliners.net, the chance excists that other airports (not so popular now) will become popular in the end. And guess what, the angles/spots and airplanes will become the same to there!

I realy don't get tired of photos of planes I like, I guess that is because I don't see them IRL that many. (once maybe twice a month I go spotting at Ams). I can inmagine though, that if you see planes every day, or atleast more then me, you get tired of them  Wink!

Cheers!
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

wietse

Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:18 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 23):

To you these shots might seem similar. To me, every upload by some people is an improvement over the previous of that type of shot. We strive for perfection. If I get a better KLM T7 rotation than I shot before, I will damn right upload it. You don't have to look. What is more irritating to me is the type of photographer that dumps his entire card onto the site, resulting in 2 straight pages of the same angle, just different planes. In that respect, I think Tim deserves a little more credit than a plug to illustrate the same ol' same ol'
Wietse de Graaf

bigphilnyc

Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:20 am

Here here Wietse!

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

Shep

Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:48 am

As Regis stated above when he started this discussion -

"Am I the only one tired of logging into airliners.net to see an SXM pic as top the day? Those shots at Princess Juliana are nice but they are sort of getting old. Always the the same angle of a widebody passing over a bunch of semi-naked tourists bathing in turquoise water. Enough is enough. Can the a.net photographers be a bit more creative?"

I have this to say -

Am I the only one tired of logging into LIFE day after day to see Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and on back to Sunday always with the same old themes of drama - LIFE, DEATH, MONEY, POVERTY, MISERY, HAPPINESS - and so on... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Can the controllers of life (GODS) be a bit more creative?

Repetition is obviously one of the spices of life...

Enjoy what is here - for now it is all we have...  praise 

bigphilnyc

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:37 pm

Shep.......that was weird.
Phil Derner Jr.

airbusfanyyz

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:10 am

I had wanted to visit SXM for a long time and I was lucky enough to get that chance last month. It was a very brief stay as I transitted through SXM in Feb. and was thrilled to experience first hand the beauty of the island and obviously the arrivals over Maho Beach.
Immediately upon my return home I excitedly uploaded pictures from SXM because it was a new location for me and wanted to share my experience. As a bonus a personal goal I had of having one of my photos as the top of the last 24hrs was acheived. In fact, I had 5 pics from that trip make it as top of the last 24/48hrs. I was flooded with emails from people saying nice things about the pics, appreciating the photos and asking about SXM because they also wanted to visit.

I'm not a professional photographer but I have people on a.net whose photos and photography skills I admire and with every picture I take I hope I can become a better photographer like them. If you don't like the pics then don't click... but don't bitch about it because it's visitors to this site who seem to like them (SXM pics) very much that they are consistently top of the day.

Okay i'm done my  twocents 

Cheers,
Kaz

BIGDEN

Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:06 am

Hey!

SXM is one of the few places I shoot. I am now going down about 4 times per year and spend time nearly every day at MAHO.
While on the island we go to the beach, euro dine in many of the fine restaurants, gamble at the casinos and enjoy sailing.
Yesterday an AA Captain asked me to send him pics of his 757 over the beach. Monday a crew from Air Atlanta were on the beach.
Aviation enthusiasts from all over the world flock to MAHO and the Princess for the opportunity to see a part of aviation that is shielded from the public in the majority of countries. The openess of the Princess and the accessibility to A/C and crews make this place so popular.
If you spend time on the beach and listen to people talking excitedly about what they are seeing you will understand why SXM is so popular and habit forming. This place is daily providing an entree for novice aviation enthusiasts to take their first pictures and to become hooked on plane photography.
I never see a boring shot on this site or others because every season is different and every hour of daylight provides different opportunities.
I'm hooked on SXM and the good times and photo ops just don't quit down there!

Denis McBriarty (BIGDEN)
Never met a 747 I didn't like!