IL76
Topic Author

Can This Be Salvaged Or Binned?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:33 pm

Hi guys,
Been trying to edit this shot numerous times, because I like it so much, but without success. The rejection reason was badquality/badblurry. The plane is distorted because of its own jet exhaust, but the picture is not unsharp I think, f.e. the runwaylights look ok to me.
Is the engine heat a not-to-overcome hurdle, or are there perhaps other issues that can (hopefully) be solved to make this shot stand a chance at A.net?
Thanks,
Eduard

[Edited 2005-03-15 10:35:06]

PH-OTO

RE: Can This Be Salvaged Or Binned?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:33 pm

Ed,

What's with the blur around the sun? That can't be from the exhaust IMO. Look's like a compression effect to me. Nice shot BTW.
Try less sharpening around the contours of the plane and it would look better IMO.

I had the same problem with my 747 taking of from RTM. These shots are very hard to get right. The exhaust blur looks jagged very quickly when sharpened some way or another.

Martin
Look very closely between the lines of this message, and you will see the captain beating up the jumpseater

timdegroot

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:03 pm

It's a nice shot Ed, but one for the perosnal files I'm afraid. Too much engine exhaust/blur.

Tim
Alderman Exit

Psych

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:12 pm

A beautiful photo Eduard. It is such a shame that the situation was going to prevent you getting the clarity of image demanded by the site.

If I were a site screener I know I would have to reject it, as the quality of the image of the aircraft itself is just not there. Having looked closely I cannot imagine how you can rescue that aspect of the photo. But it's a lovely image, nonetheless. Some of my favourite shots on the site include this kind of atmosphere that you have captured. My sympathies. However, I would be very pleased to have a photo such as this in my personal collection.

All the best.

Paul

IL76
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:23 pm

Thanks guys... I was hoping for a miracle I guess.
&*^$% exhaust...  Smile
Cheers...
Ed

PH-OTO

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:37 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 4):
Thanks guys... I was hoping for a miracle I guess.

Ed, posting a picture doesn't improve picture quality  laughing 
Ooh, found out that I am exactly three A.net years old today (see my profile)
 old 
Martin
Look very closely between the lines of this message, and you will see the captain beating up the jumpseater

IL76
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:06 pm

Congrats Martin!  praise 
(can't remember when my 1st shot was added, there were no statistics back then.  Sad)

Quoting PH-OTO (Reply 5):
Ed, posting a picture doesn't improve picture quality

ehh... No, but perhaps someone could have a fantastic editing trick that could have made a difference... crossfingers  But hey, we all know: crap in = crap out. I'll try to see how it looks on print, and otherwise it'll get a nice corner of the harddrive to rest its days... zzz 

Mzl,
Ed

aviopic

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:45 am

Magnificent Eduard but if you want somebody else to try you better post the original.
Although i am afraid the result won't be enough for A.net it is to good for the bin, a nice A3 print will do very good !

Willem
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

Bobster2

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:54 am

Wow! That's the best rejected picture I've seen. I know it had to be rejected, but I bet the screeners looked at it a long time. It should make a fantastic print.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

diezel

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:36 am

That is a great picture Ed! It is something for the cover of one of those big coffeetable photobooks:

"AMS, The Brantjes Way".

Well done and don't worry, it is good just the way it is.

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

Psych

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:45 am

I've just had another look at this photo - really atmospheric. With a photo like this I can understand why some members propose an 'artistic' category.

Out of interest, Eduard, what are the details for this photo - you've obviously frozen the plane well, so what was the ISO etc? I love the way the sun is so clearly still up, yet it looks like night time.

Paul

IL76
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:03 am

There was a massive fog that morning, so that's why the sun is so weak. Every plane that passed blew away some of the fog, dissapearing in the mist a few seconds later. There was very little contrast to begin with. Everything looked grey and the histogram basically was a tall spike in the middle.
To give you an idea of the unedited original:

I had to crank up the "shadows"-slider in the RAW converter to get any contrast.
Exif... Lemme check...
1/200s f7.1 400mm 200ISO.

Cheers,
Eduard

Bobster2

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:09 am

Quoting IL76 (Reply 11):
Everything looked grey and the histogram basically was a tall spike in the middle.

I have pictures like that too. The fog/mist/rain in the air erases all the color and contrast. You can't really put them back after they're gone. Increasing the contrast gives you a grainy and posterized image, and the color information is still gone. Low contrast pictures can look very nice, sort of abstract and moody, but a.net doesn't seem to go for that kind of picture.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

AA777

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:33 am

You know that really is a beautiful picture. And I dont think it's meant to have so much contrast.. that is what the image WAS. Why should it be rejected because you cant see every detail of the A/C? This picture is not meant to show that...it shows an a/c in the fog, with the sun and runway lights....its a gorgeous shot, and A.net is at a loss IMHO if they dont accept it....

best of luck,

-AA777

javibi

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:32 am

I just hate you Eduard, for making all my pictures look like crap... Fantastic shot!!!!!

If it was my shot I think I'd try not to crank up the contrast so much, as AA777 suggests.

I wish for an Artistic category as well, funny Johan does not give in to this, as most of the shots in Editor's choice could fall into that one....

Regards and thanks for sharing!

j

yultopei

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:58 am

Really nice shot Eduard... hypnotized  thank's to share...

I understand the point to have an artistic category.
Sorry if I repeat but I think is important that they know A.net NEED a artistic category.

wideeyed 

YULtoPEI
PEI in Colombia!!!. [Canon T2i]

LHSebi

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:34 am

Eduard,
Absolutely beautiful! You have any more of that morning to share? I have hoped for conditions like that forever!

Keep it up!

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.