andyhunt
Crew

Nikon VR, Help Needed!

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:47 am

Hi Guys and Girls,

OK, now that I have the 70-200 AF-S VR, now just a simple help question addressed to some of the "experts" usage regarding this clever little function:

1) Do you leave it on the whole time, or only low light conditions?
2) Does it make any difference if you leave it on?
3) Which is better, normal or active mode? What is the major difference here?

Thanks in advance, as always!

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

NIKV69

RE: Nikon VR, Help Needed!

Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:02 am

Andy,

You better contact Art Brett or Mike McLaughlin. Two of the better photographers here and both Nikon men who have used that lens. I bought the AF 80-200 F2.8 and they were the best to me. They know their stuff!  yes 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

aagold

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:51 am

Andy

Nick is wrong in that I have not used that lens. I have the 80-400 VR. And for that lens I have it set "on" all the time. I'm not sure the settings are the same, but I have mine set to Mode 2 which reduces vibration only when the shutter is released and not when the shutter is pressed down. This mode does not reduce vibration in the viewfinder.

It's much easier to hand hold a 200mm than a 400mm, so I imagine you have the choice to use or not use. With the 400mm and, more often than not, shooting on the high end of the zoom there isn't much choice.

Art

NIKV69

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:21 pm

Sorry Art,

Thought you had used that lens once upon a time. You sure seem to know a lot about it!  biggrin 

Emailed my man at MSP. Should have some info for you soon on 809 for you.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

beechcraft

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:20 pm

Hey Andy,
i´ve been using this lens since christmas. I tend to leave the VR mode off during "normal" light conditions and on in low light.

Before i bought it i heard the picture would tend to be a bit out of focus if the VR mode was used where not needed. I haven´t made that experience, all pictures come out fine if it´s left on, but usually i turn it off to safe some battery life.
But to be honest, i don´t know if that makes a significant difference.

This is what i read on the web somewhere:

"VR Normal Mode primarily compensates for camera shake, and includes automatic panning detection as well as automatic tripod detection. VR Active Mode effectively compensates for vibration in situations where it is more pronounced and more frequent, such as when shooting from a moving vehicle."

Since i mostly shoot out of moving things (planes...) i primarily use the active function.
It´s also working good when you´re just standing around not moving, so i give it advantage over normal mode.
Here is one result:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Denis Roschlau

(sorry for that self plug...)

My 2 cents so far, hope it helps, though i´m no expert.....

best regards,

Denis
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

ChrisH

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:34 pm

I switch mine off in daylight, when panning with aircraft on approach or taking off. I find the VR "lags" a bit and so shots are often off-center with VR on. For aircraft taxiing or standing still I have it on, makes composing shots easier. Use it in normal mode if youre not moving yourself. i.e if youre in a moving car shooting out the window, active mode works better.
what seems to be the officer, problem?

andyhunt
Crew

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the help. Tried the lens this morning.....works like a dream! And luckily, didn't need the VR function Big grin

Andrew

Granite

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Andy

So the lens works like a dream............BUT does it make your photographs any better?

Smile

Regards

Gary

andyhunt
Crew

Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:32 pm

Hi Gary,

Indeed it does.  Actually, when I compare it to the 170-500 (adding in the 2.0X converter on the 70-200) that will now be "retired" the difference in quality is quite stunning!

Andrew

[Edited 2005-04-03 14:33:47]

fallingeese

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:42 am

I love my 70-200mm VR. I always keep it in "normal", "active" is designed for shooting from vehicles, or other moving subjects.

It is a great lens, and I love it with the 2x teleconverters.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography