waketurbulence

Another Round Of "Is This Worthy?"

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:56 am

I know all of you might be getting tired of these posts, but I only ask because I am so inexperienced compared to many in this forum and don't want to waste screener's time if the shot won't make it. Please advise or give any help. Thanks in advance.
-Matt
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/MattWPH-BFO41005X2.jpg

ua777222

RE: Another Round Of "Is This Worthy?"

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:01 am

Angle looks cool, size is good, but that wing is just off. I can't tell if it's over exposed or if its too sharp.

Just my  twocents 

Thanks,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

A346Dude

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:06 am

Matt,

You've got a nice shot there, but unfortunately I think it will be rejected for badquality. Don't get discouraged, today's standards are very high - I myself (though no expert) am often surprised to have a photo of mine that I thought looked very good be rejected for badquality.

Looks like there is one of two issues with your image; either it was cropped too heavily or the camera used has too small of a sensor to begin with. What type of camera did you use for the photo?

Regards,
A346Dude

[Edited 2005-04-11 23:07:45]
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Psych

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:16 am

Hi Matt,

I would be interested to know how you have edited this shot.

I agree that it is a really nice angle, but it has that 'shiny' look of an oversharpened image - possibly in camera, rather than in post-processing. For me the key is in what state is the original image.

I fear it would attract a badquality rejection as it is, and there also appears to be something a bit funny looking about the underside of the wing near the fuselage - a bit blurry, like overused Neat Image or something.

If you would like a second opinion about the editing I would be more than happy to give your original image a go if you would like to send it to me. I could then take you through what I have done. Just a thought.

All the best.

Paul

fergulmcc

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:24 am

Matt

Have you used Neat Image? It looks like you have, the underneath of the wing around the 'Boat Fairings' are quite blured, as well as along the underside of the body.

Fergul
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

waketurbulence

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:00 am

First thanks as always, the regulars I know are always there to help. Now on to questions.
1. Camera was Olympus C-765, as you can tell the quality isn't stunning, and every day I am saving a little for the 300D and a lens. ISO 64, shutter 1/1000, f/6.3.
2. Psych, I follow Fergul's standard application for PS 2.0, thanks Fergul by the way, and yes I did use neat image, my camera produces so much grain even on ISO 64 that it is almost required. Sharpness is set on 0 in the camera, and I used USM 450%, 0.2, 0 as my last step, and went once more at 125%, 0.2, 0 for a second pass. It is a give and take with N.I. because I need to remove grain without sacrificing quality, but it looks overboard. I sent you an original Paul, if you'd like to take a look.
3. All of you are right on with the NI. I don't like it, but I have to use it. I haven't found a way that is as effective to reduce grain, I guess I went overboard and it shows. Thanks again guys.
-Matt

fergulmcc

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:55 pm

Matt

Gary and Simon seem to have those settings for USM under controll, and are doing well at it. I on the other hand, can't seem to grasp it at all. I find the 50;0.3;0 setting in USM the best for me. Even before I got my L lenses I still found that setting to be good and my shots got in.

Good luck with it mate!

Fergul 

Edit: Typo

[Edited 2005-04-12 13:56:01]

waketurbulence

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:12 am

Fergul,
How many times do you sharpen at 50%? To get my photos as sharp I feel like I would have to make 5 passes before it took effect. Just curious to know.
I know the answer is "it depends" but an average would be fine. Thanks.
-Matt

fergulmcc

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:17 am

Matt

An average for me would be about 3 times, well about 95% of the times.
Although I have used it four times on some shots. If you apply too much you can always back track a bit in the Undo History Window.

Take care

Fergul Big grin