n949wp

Spotting/photographing At Kahului (OGG), Maui

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:32 am

Hi, fellow a.netters,

I'll be heading to Maui in mid-May. While there are obviously plenty of other interesting things to do on the island, I certainly wouldn't mind allocating a day for spotting and photographing around Kahului Airport (OGG).

From the a.net photo database, I found only 7 pages of photos, which makes me wonder about the photo opportunities out there. Based on the available maps, I noticed quite a few roads running right along the perimeter of the airport. Anyone know of any good spots around there (if at all)? Anything in particular to watch out for?

Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Gordon

gerardo

RE: Spotting/photographing At Kahului (OGG), Maui

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:10 am

When I was there, I found indeed many roads along the perimeter. But I also found a lot of police cars around ... and that was before 9/11 ....

Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

clickhappy

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:43 am

yes, I have heard that OGG is pretty strict with security. You might shoot an email to Joe Pries or Jason Whitebird, they have both shot there and our friendly enough to write you back.

aeroweanie

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:57 am

If the landings are from the south, aircraft fly rather low down the central valley. I've never looked specifically for good locations, but it must be easy to find a parking lot in that direction.

TimMSP

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:40 am

I was there in late September last year and found several roads that offered good spots to photograph from. I was only there for a few hours before turning in the rental car and catching our flight home but I didn't get stopped or hassled.

I agree, when landing from the south there are several spots to shoot from.

Also a nice helicopter base of tourist helicopters on the east side of the field if your into shooting those.

CO777

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:14 pm

I was there back in March of 2001 and theres a spot at the west end of the rwy.You do need a car to get there.I have never been bothered there before but like I said its been 4 years since I was last there.
Jason Whitebird