rootsair

How Was This Picture Taken?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:39 am

Hi I came up with this picture in the most popular photo section . As the thread topic states, how was it taken? To my belief it must have been from a helicopter. However are helicopters allowed to fly that close to aircrafts?

If the picture WAS NOT taken by a helicopter , then how was it taken ?

Regards

BM

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Newark777

RE: How Was This Picture Taken?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:41 am

Probably from a Cessna, or some other small plane. He probably got clearance through the airspace, and used a nice telephoto to get the shot.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

LHSebi

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:05 am

Search for oh too many threads that start something like "this is a fake!" or "Is this real?". In LAX you have a corridor going over the airport at (I believe) 3000ft. where you are allowed to fly through with clearance. LAX departing aircraft level off 1500 feet below you until they are above the water, then continue the climb (once out of the corridor). Search for the LAX most popular photos, you will find several made this way (Daniel Werner and others by Sam Chui come to mind).

Hope this helps,

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

timz

RE: LAX VFR Corridor

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:33 am

Looking at the plane's shadow, your eye assumes the sun is at the 737's 9-o'clock position-- but looking at the shadows of the streetlights you see that it isn't. In other words, the camera is not pointed down as steeply as your eye tends to think, and the camera plane could be passing over the middle of LAX rather than the runway end.

timz

RE: More LAX Pics

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:28 am

If you haven't seen the other similar pics, use the photo search for pics at LAX in the Air-to-Air category. There's about 20 of them now.

Newark777

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting Timz (Reply 4):
If you haven't seen the other similar pics, use the photo search for pics at LAX in the Air-to-Air category. There's about 20 of them now.

Or you could just click on the link to the most popular of the past year on the homepage, one of them is the second to show up.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Werner

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

N178UA

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:18 am

Yes Timz got it right, we're passing midfield instead of shoreline.

Unfortunatly angles like Daniel's shot is no longer possible, the new shoreline arrangement is restricted at min 5500 feet and subject to approval (not always available in busy hours)

Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

Rotate

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:14 pm

OMG!

how it was taken?

It was taken with a Nikon DSLR by Sam chui, sitting in a small prop comuter , surfing down LAX.
I know why I have been off from the Forum so long .....

Robin

PS: Try in in LAX, coast, passing by, etc>
ABC

concord977

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:14 pm

Sam,

I know that a strong zoom will compress the background and sometimes flatten an image.

But I am still amazed at the sharp angle of climb by this 744 in Daniel's shot. Is there some other factor that exaggerates the way it looks?

(I KNOW THE PHOTO IS REAL, I am just trying to understand how the effect was created)

Curt
No info

DLKAPA

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:18 pm

Nope, looks like just normal zoom compression.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

timz

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:51 am

"But I am still amazed at the sharp angle of climb by this 744 in Daniel's shot."

Your eye sees the near-parallel runway edges and concludes that the camera is pointed almost straight down at the runway. But with the very long lens the runway edges will be near parallel even tho the camera is only pointed maybe 20 degrees below horizontal.