syncmaster

Spotting At IAH While Making A Connection

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:22 am

This Wednesday I'll be heading home from MFE and will have to make a connection at IAH, my current scheduled time is 2 hours and 50 minutes. I was curious what the current status of photography at IAH is, and where the best spot would be to take pictures, I'd preferably not like to leave the secure area, but I will if I need to.

Thanks for your help!

-Charlie

gocaps16

RE: Spotting At IAH While Making A Connection

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:08 am

If you are coming in to Terminal A or B, you can go to the upper level of the parking garage there. The parking lot walkway is located where you check in with your airline.

Kevin

FlyingTexan

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:09 am

The abovementioned parking garages do offer excellent vantage points for carriers operating into A (AA, UA, DL, AC, US) and the endless stream of Coex ERJs into B. You will also get a great view of virtually all traffic taxing to takeoff. You will, however, need to exit security (obviously).

The inter-terminal train provides service to terminals A thru D and the Marriott Hotel (located between C & B).
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

syncmaster

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:01 pm

Anyone ever had any problems with security at the mentioned locations?

Thanks for your help! Big grin

-Charlie

Pbb152

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:55 pm

Charlie,

Spotting and photography is perfectly legal from all the garages at IAH and the Houston Airport System has given us the OK as well. Every once in a while we get the rogue cop or HAS employee who try to make up rules and say we are not allowed, however this is quite untrue. Just remember the name Mark Mancuso. If anyone bothers you let them know that Mr. Mancuso (who is one of the top guys in the HAS) has given spotters full permission to take pics, log registrations, or just watch planes from the garages. I had an HAS security guard try to run me off the Terminal E garage the other day, and I told him I wasn't going anywhere and he better call Mr. Mancuso to learn the rules. As soon as I mentioned Mr. Mancuso's name he told me to go right ahead taking pictures.

If you haven't already, check out some of our pics in the database at IAH as most of the ramp shots you will see have been taken from the garages. You can get pretty close to the action and take some nice pics.

Have fun at IAH.

Pete

syncmaster

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:15 am

Awesome, Thanks!!

Appreciate all the help, now I just hope it doesn't rain! Big grin

-Charlie

philhyde

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:32 am

You might want to exercise a little caution, as the top of terminal A is the employee garage. We have successfully spotted there, but we almost always call security and let them know we are there.

The top of terminal B, which is the A/B garage is the most benign location for spotters. There are good views on the North and South sides.

The E garage, which is adjacent to terminal C, is a good spot to see arrivals at terminal D on the North side and terminal E on the South side.

Good luck!
Phil
IAH Spotters
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

Speedbird2025

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:42 am

Charlie...

What time do you have your break at IAH??? It may be possible that I can meet up with you and do some spottin... Let me know

--Nathan

andrewuber

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:04 pm

Charlie!!! Why not just drive up to DFW - and go to the MRO with me!!! Then we can spot some heavies from the roof of the Harvey, and perhaps JUMPSEAT home!  cool 

Either way - See you at FWA later this week dude!!!

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

IAH777

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Quoting Pbb152 (Reply 4):
Every once in a while we get the rogue cop...

What are you trying to say, Pete?!?  box   razz 

Pbb152

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:10 pm

Matt,

We all know who the roguest cop of them all is. He usually has a D70 cocked and ready to fire and hangs around the parking garages with Smarte Cart Jim.

Pete

skywatch

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:36 pm

Spotting at IAH is pretty good around 1:00-2:00 when they bring in the international heavies. BA, LH, KL, and AF fly in all around this time. Also, Cayman Airways flies in during this time period. At any other time of day, it's mainly CO and other domestic flights.
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------