bravo7e7

Taking Outside Pictures From Inside The Aircraft

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:42 am

Just a quick question for you photogs. For those shots taken of a wing from inside the aircraft, how is it done so the shots turn out clean? Whenever I fly on a plane, the windows always have lots of spots, and usually a few cracks. Do you just correct it when you upload it to your computer, or what?

Thanks

DLKAPA

RE: Taking Outside Pictures From Inside The Aircraft

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:48 am

Usually most people I guess correct in photoshop, though dirty windows are a problem because the spots can be cloned out, but the softness cannot.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Lindy

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:54 am

I'm always trying to fly with tissues that contains some % of alcohol. I simply wipe the windows before my flights  Smile

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

bravo7e7

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:27 am

Quoting Lindy (Reply 2):
I'm always trying to fly with tissues that contains some % of alcohol. I simply wipe the windows before my flights

Rafal

Yeah, but usually they are dirty on that middle shield or the outside, especially when the water is running on the windows during takeoff.

wietse

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:37 am

There is this effect called depth of field, which makes some things on your picture sharp and visible, and others not. If you make the DOF shallow enough, the spots will not really show up on your photos.

If you do not know what DOF is, google for it, that will give a better explanation than I can give you right now  Wink

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

AIRBUSRIDER

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:37 am

I usually wipe the window down before a flight, people think I am nuts. Almost all of mt window shots on this site are from Jetblue aircraft which are pretty new and do not have years of wear and tear on the windows. My window shot routine is simple though, Shoot as many shots as I can on takeoff and landing and I am happy with 1 or 2 getting accepted from each aircraft I fly on. Photoshop is a must for the editing and I usually work on individual areas of the photo to get them just right. The screeners here on Anet are tough but if the shot is good, they will pass it. I used to hate them (used to screeners lol) but they have taught me the hard way to be a better photographer and editor. You need to have the sun where you want it for these shots to be what you want them to be and this can be tough because you are limited to one window on one side of the aircraft. Hope this helps, Anthony
No Officer, I am not a Terrorist !

Staffan

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:45 am

Quoting Wietse (Reply 4):
There is this effect called depth of field, which makes some things on your picture sharp and visible, and others not. If you make the DOF shallow enough, the spots will not really show up on your photos.

Yeah, spots are no problems. Use a wide aperture and try to get the lens close to the window and you'll minimize the chances of the dirt showing. The wider the lens is, the more difficult it is to get a clear shot.
On the other hand, if the window is smeared on the outside with de/anti ice, it's almost impossible to get a good shot.

Staffan