senorcarnival

What Exactly Is Wrong With This Picture?

Sun May 08, 2005 2:45 am

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/CON14655.jpg
I'll take the badexposure, shooting with the sun setting in the west is proving to be an inconvenience at AUS, to put it nicely, but badquality?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

INNflight

RE: What Exactly Is Wrong With This Picture?

Sun May 08, 2005 2:57 am

Andre,

The nose is soft and the tail and engine area is jagged. Look at the tail, can clearly be seen there.

Florian
Jet Visuals

senorcarnival

Sun May 08, 2005 3:00 am

OK, I can see it now...would I be able to save this picture? Now, did those areas get jagged because of oversharpening?

Psych

Sun May 08, 2005 3:08 am

Andre,

This shot reminds me of that Delta 737 that was rejected for badcolour. This one too seems to be strangely green to me - to my eye the colour of that grass looks too bright.

My impression of the photo was that it was oversharpened - there's a kind of 'shiny' feel to it - sorry, can't think of a better way of putting it - that I associate with oversharpening. The jaggies are apparent as Florian says. Depending on what the original looks like you should be able to solve that by sharpening less, and erasing any jaggies using the eraser and layers.

I would be interested to know what editing process you use - I am wondering whether you are using 'auto' edits, such as colour and sharpening.

Paul

Danny

Sun May 08, 2005 3:27 am

Nose is soft, the whole picture is oversharpened which resulted in jaggies. Add to that badcolor, oversaturation and back lighting - I would suggest to give up on this one.

AUS_Spotter

Sun May 08, 2005 8:13 am

Andre,

Your best chance for decent lighting at AUS from this location will be in the morning or early afternoon. At this time of year and through the summer, anything after about 2-3pm isn't worth it if you want to get it accepted here. It's possible...but difficult due to the bad lighting conditions.

senorcarnival

Sun May 08, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 3):
Depending on what the original looks like you should be able to solve that by sharpening less, and erasing any jaggies using the eraser and layers.

I would be interested to know what editing process you use - I am wondering whether you are using 'auto' edits, such as colour and sharpening.

The original does not seem to have the jaggies on the tail, so that may have been from oversharpening after all. As for editing processes, I'm using this workflow: http://rockymountainavphotos.com/Eric/workflow.html.

Quoting Aus_spotter (Reply 5):
Your best chance for decent lighting at AUS from this location will be in the morning or early afternoon. At this time of year and through the summer, anything after about 2-3pm isn't worth it if you want to get it accepted here. It's possible...but difficult due to the bad lighting conditions.

Yeah, I've started to notice that...most of my shots from that area have been in the afternoon but I think the cemetery is a better location for afternoon spotting.

AUS_Spotter

Sun May 08, 2005 1:42 pm

The cemetery is definitely a better spot for afternoon shooting at AUS when 17-L / 17-R are in use. You can get some nice sunset shots later in the evening from the spotting area on 17-L though.

OD720

Sun May 08, 2005 4:41 pm

Andre,

As Paul says, somehow you should try to get rid of the green cast of your photo, just like the other one you got rejected earlier.
Try to get as many things right as possible, like making your shots in the morning from that spot as other's familiar to the area are suggesting, to avoid further frustration.

Good luck.