A340Spotter
Topic Author

Can You Correct Overexposure In Photoshop?

Sun May 08, 2005 7:17 am

Taking off of the overexposure shooting forum, I'd like to know if there's a way to correct the overposure on white aircraft in photoshop? I'm aware of ways to fix it photography-wise (and had no problems with the results on slides shot of the same aircraft), but can these be fixed:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/N792Aancjsdevore.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...jections/big/N301UPbfijsdevore.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...ions/big/JA8192noseancjsdevore.jpg

Thanks as always in advance to those who reply. You are all big helps.

Jeffrey
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

Newark777

RE: Can You Correct Overexposure In Photoshop?

Sun May 08, 2005 7:21 am

If you shot in RAW, there is a chance you can save them. Other than that, though, the details are probably gone, and not recoverable.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

sulman

Sun May 08, 2005 7:21 am

Depends what the originals look like. In these cases, I don't think so, as it looks like most of the detail has been blown in one large specular highlight, hence that slight fuzzy halo you've got around the edges.

Did you shoot them in RAW? If so you might be able to get something back using digital exposure comp. Certainly worth a try.

The only other method using PS would be to adjust the highlights in the levels or curves tool, and see if you can bring some detail back.

Cheers

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

LHSebi

Sun May 08, 2005 7:23 am

Hi Jeffrey,

Overexposing is usually unsavable. Hence, you should usually be shooting with a -2/3 exposure compensation or so when shooting aircraft on a sunny day with the sun behind you. I shoot mostly in DUS, and most traffic has lots of white in the c/s. Hence, I will always shoot with -2/3 compensation.

Underexposing is easy to fix/correct, so it's always better to be under than over.

Sorry!

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

A340Spotter
Topic Author

Sun May 08, 2005 7:37 am

These shots weren't in RAW format unfortunately, and so they'll go...as I said, no worries as the slides of the NAC 727 have come back perfect so it's not a lost cause with that one...just have to find someone to scan one in for me as I don't have a slide scanner worthy of this site.

Sebastian, I've taken your advice for the future in the other forum and here, thanks...

Jeffrey

INNflight

Sun May 08, 2005 7:39 am

The first 2 are not fixable. The Nippon Cargo 74 still could be worth a try though.

EDIT: If you have photoshop CS, use the shadow / highlight function to try to correct.

[Edited 2005-05-08 00:40:52]
Jet Visuals

Psych

Sun May 08, 2005 5:13 pm

Jeffrey,

Though it may not be too helpful with these shots, I was told of a way to make some compensation for overexposure in PS.

If you open up your photo and then make a duplicate layer, you can then change the Blending Mode (under the 'Layer' tab) to 'Multiply' and set the Opacity to the high 30's%. Apply this and I understand that this has the effect of reducing the overall 'exposure' of the photo by about one stop. Then merge/flatten the layers.

Now you could try this process only on the selected aircraft itself, rather than the whole image, and it will darken. But the issue is going to be that if the detail is burned out in the original then it will remain so, but the white will be a bit darker.

May be worth a go though to see the effect.

All the best.

Paul

senorcarnival

Sun May 08, 2005 5:57 pm

Quoting LHSebi (Reply 3):
Underexposing is easy to fix/correct, so it's always better to be under than over.

How would you go about fixing underexposure? Kick up the brightness?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Psych

Sun May 08, 2005 6:12 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 7):
How would you go about fixing underexposure? Kick up the brightness?

I would always use the levels histogram to deal with underexposure, not the brightness. I think this allows more subtle control.

Paul

A340Spotter
Topic Author

Mon May 09, 2005 3:22 am

Florian,

Thanks...will give the Nippon one another try...just had another white plane rejected that I didn't find to be overexposed and frankly, it's beginning to frustrate me!  Smile

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...jections/big/N703FEancjsdevore.jpg

I did, however, hit the 100 milestone at least today...

Jeffrey