iRISH251

Photo Usage Request From Airbus

Tue May 17, 2005 4:28 am

Has anyone else received a request along these lines:

"Dear Sir,

My name is Bernard de l'Estoile, I am working in the marketing department of Airbus in Toulouse, and we would like to use this picture for one of our PowerPoint presentation.

Unfortunately, we have no budget for that.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Bernard de l'Estoile"

In fact the request is to use a picture of a Boeing 747, not an Airbus product!

I don't like to be mercenary about these things but considering that this is one of the two largest aircraft manufacturers in the world I find it a bit hard to accept that Airbus is unable to pay even a nominal fee for photo usage.

What do others think?

Fergal

jorge1812

RE: Photo Usage Request From Airbus

Tue May 17, 2005 4:33 am

Then it must be one like this.  Wink

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Wietse de Graaf - AirTeamImages

If it's for only a PowerPoint presentation I would grant permission.

Georg.

eksath
Crew

Tue May 17, 2005 4:47 am

redflag Don't forget to read between the lines: redflag 

"Dear Sir,

My name is Bernard de l'Estoile, I am working in the marketing department of Airbus in Toulouse, and we would like to use this picture for one of our PowerPoint presentation. We plan to use YOUR picture in our sales pitch to rich customers from West Asia. We hope that your beautiful picture of the Boeing 747 will contribute to our success in showing how our million $ planes will be superior buys for them

Unfortunately, we have no budget for that.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Bernard de l'Estoile"
World Wide Aerospace Photography

Staffan

Tue May 17, 2005 5:09 am

I wouldn't give it for free.

Staffan

philhyde

Tue May 17, 2005 5:20 am

I just find it very hard to believe that Airbus would be asking to use pictures.

But I agree, if it's legit, then let them use it and make sure to credit you.

cheers,
Phil
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

Lindy

Tue May 17, 2005 5:42 am

Sure, let them use it for free. Your camera was free and you don't work (or go to school) so you have plenty of free time on your hands.
Because of this kind of behavior of some photographers from airliners.net other photographers suffer. This month alone I lost two sales to a freebe.
In both emails people were asking me how much I would charge their companies for the picture. One would be in newspaper ad, about 1/4 of the page, and the second for advertisement brochure for HUGE company based in California.
I went to the lowest levels for picture pricing. For one picture I requested payment of $150, and for second $100.
Unfortunately in both cases I've got replay from potential customers that they are not interested anymore because they've got free pictures from other photographers just for credit. But they would still use my picture if I granted them permission just for the credit alone.
$250 that's nice 300GB external hard drive to store my photos that are coming and coming every month.
If your request was from University or non-profit organization then let them use it for free. Here we are talking about AIRBUS. Corporation that has offices almost in every country on every continent.
What you will gain from the credit in PowerPoint presentation? Nothing, they don't even have to put your name on the slide show because you won't see it.

Well, its your picture and you can do with it whatever you want.

Good luck,
Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

clickhappy

Tue May 17, 2005 5:44 am

I am sure Airbus cruises A.net for pictures. I have seen Boeing using A.net materials for internal AND external stuff  Smile

gkirk

Tue May 17, 2005 6:40 am

Ask them for a free flight on the A380  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Tommy Mogren

Tue May 17, 2005 3:25 pm

Airbus = Commercial company

No Budget = No Photo

Easy as 1, 2, 3

Tommy Mogren
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

mrniji

Tue May 17, 2005 3:54 pm

Ridicolous request; indeed an insult - Airbus is lowering themselves in saying "they don't have a budget for that"

If this email really originated from Airbus.. don't do that
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

fergulmcc

Tue May 17, 2005 4:04 pm

Quoting Irish251 (Thread starter):
Unfortunately, we have no budget for that

Yeah right!!!  rotfl 

Forget it Fergal, You know these guys better than I do. What's their e-mail address, might be a clue as to who really is sending it.

Fergul  sun 
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

apuneger

Tue May 17, 2005 7:22 pm

Don't give it for free. If they don't want to pay, at least try to get an exclusive tour at their facilities, a couple of free models or something like that. Nothing is for free nowadays.

I wonder how they would feel if SQ came to them 'Hi, we would like to use some of your A380's for our flights. Unfortunately we have no budget for that. Thanks in advance and best regards'  Wink

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

oly720man

Tue May 17, 2005 8:52 pm

It's either a joke or a placement student wanting to do a project or something like that.

Can you check the headers in the email and see what the sender IP address is then go to www.ripe.net (for europe) or another IP searcher to find out who owns the address. If it's genuine airbus then the owner should be airbus

E.g. the following from an "I've got millions in a bank and want to get it out of the country and I'll give you 10%" type of email. The received from IP is 80.44.179.91 comes back as being registered to Tiscali.co.uk despite his email being a yahoo.de address and the return path being at sina.com, normally a good sign that all's not OK.

Received: from SpoolDir by UK-AC-MAN-ENG-FS15 (Mercury 1.48); 14 May 05 18:59:06 BST
Return-path:
Received: from gannet.scg.man.ac.uk (130.88.94.110) by fs15.eng.man.ac.uk (Mercury 1.48) with ESMTP;
14 May 05 18:58:45 BST
Received: from dsl-80-44-179-91.access.as9105.com ([80.44.179.91] helo=sina.com)
by gannet.scg.man.ac.uk with smtp (Exim 4.43 (FreeBSD))
id 1DX0uP-0003no-5g
To:
Subject: YOUR ADVICE AND HELP
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
Reply-To: TAYLOR JOHNSON
mime-version: 1.0
X-Spam-Score: 20.4 (++++++++++++++++++++)

www.arin.net is another option for IP addresses in the US
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Ander

Tue May 17, 2005 9:35 pm

Doesn't sound too credible.
I don't give away pics to commercial companies. Only particulars.
When I went to B&H to get my new lens I did not even think of asking it
for free. Why do people keep asking for free shots??
Good luck
Ander
Born to tri.

fotodj

Tue May 17, 2005 10:07 pm

"Why do people keep asking for free shots??"

Ander,

Beacause, still there are plenty of IDIOTS who give away pictures for free !
And this hurts rest of us, who spent a lot of money for decent equipment
and tons of time to learn, travel and get a good quality pictures .....

Rule number one:
DO NOT GIVE AWAY PICTURES TO ANYONE FOR FREE because sooner or later you will be a loser trying to sell image and loosing the sale to some JERK who's trying to be a good samaritan.

Dariusz "FotoDJ"
Polishman in New York

dacman

Tue May 17, 2005 11:25 pm

So Airbus really is losing money if they can't afford a photo budget......................what a laugh.

I take each request on a case by case basis, and this is definitely one where I would say charge for usage, they can certainly pay a small fee for use of your photo.

Mike
lgbguy
"Airliner Photography is not a crime"

mrniji

Wed May 18, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting Fotodj (Reply 14):
DO NOT GIVE AWAY PICTURES TO ANYONE FOR FREE because sooner or later you will be a loser trying to sell image and loosing the sale to some JERK who's trying to be a good samaritan.

Depends on the case! I am member of an Association. We are completely non-pofit, and indeed we are even paying lots of private money to rent a room, have a webpage etc (that time being students it was quite tough). I found an amazing AI pic on a.net. I asked the photographer whether we could use it for an article, explained him the financial situation and offered him to link/reference (and a tax exemption receipt) and utterly appreciate. He answered that he sees no problem and indeed is happy that we didn't just use it without asking, as he would never have been able to keep track.
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

iRISH251

Wed May 18, 2005 6:11 am

Thanks for all the comments - they echo my own sentiments, i.e. that I don't mind not-for-profit organisations using my photos without charge, but that the "big boys" should pay, just as they would if buying the shot from a commercial source. I have responded to the requester in this case and await his reply (if any).

Fergal

dan2002

Wed May 18, 2005 9:42 am

I would ask in return to see the PowerPoint when they are done!

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

philhyde

Wed May 18, 2005 10:33 am

Quoting Lindy (Reply 5):
Sure, let them use it for free. Your camera was free and you don't work (or go to school) so you have plenty of free time on your hands.
Because of this kind of behavior of some photographers from airliners.net other photographers suffer. This month alone I lost two sales to a freebe.

Rafal,

Your point is well taken. If this is really Airbus, then they should be willing to pay a nominal fee to use the photo. My suggestion was a little short-sighted.

The only comment that I have is that it must be exceeedingly difficult these days to maintain a profession as a photographer. Let's face it - any nutbag with three grand can go buy a "compu-cam" setup and produce good results. With a little practice and a little more luck (i.e. right place, right time), said nutbag can compete with professionals.

Phil

Stealthz

Wed May 18, 2005 12:07 pm

This is a phenomenon seen in the conference and event business for some time, a company will invest large amounts of money in professional AV for all departments to look as good as possible but always some guy.. Often the "IT" dept would insist they could do just as good a job with PowerPoint!!
Needless to say whose presentation looked CR4P!!
Now they think they can be photographer as well.. or at least use the photos for free!!

My real fear here is this is a "phishing" scam of some type

Regards

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

mrniji

Wed May 18, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting Irish251 (Reply 17):
I have responded to the requester in this case and await his reply (if any).

Do you feel like posting your reply here for our information? It is realy an interesting question to be followed up!

iRISH251

Thu May 19, 2005 2:44 am

I have received the following reply from Airbus and have no reason not to believe that it is genuinely Airbus who made the request:

"Dear Sir,

Thanks for your message, but I unfortunately confirm you that we have no budget allocated to that request.

I therefore do confirm, that we won't use your picture.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Bernard de l'Estoile
Marketing Analyst - A380
CVMAN
AIRBUS"

mrniji

Thu May 19, 2005 3:12 am

Quoting Irish251 (Reply 22):
"but I unfortunately confirm you that we have no budget allocated to that request" - Marketing Analyst - A380

Fantastic! Airbus lowering themselves in such manner.... incredible  Wink

Stealthz

Thu May 19, 2005 9:31 am

In the competitive commercial world there is some "honour amongst thieves" If he really wanted "free" B747 photos his opposite number at Boeing would likely oblige.. or did he want specific airline images for some ambush marketing??

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

rol

Thu May 19, 2005 5:39 pm

Quoting Irish251 (Reply 22):
but I unfortunately confirm you that we have no budget allocated to that request.

I therefore do confirm, that we won't use your picture.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Bernard de l'Estoile
Marketing Analyst - A380

I just can't believe it. I'm completely speechless...

Roland

Key

Thu May 19, 2005 5:43 pm

Quoting Philhyde (Reply 19):
Let's face it - any nutbag with three grand can go buy a "compu-cam" setup and produce good results. With a little practice and a little more luck (i.e. right place, right time), said nutbag can compete with professionals.

Don't think so. That is, not for customers with an eye for quality. Said nutbag may have a few lucky ones but will get no further without (self-?) education.

I support the principle of allowing some non-profit organizations to use a photo for free (like aviation enthusiast societies in their mags) but nobody is going to make money from my pics without paying me first.

Erik

[Edited 2005-05-19 10:47:00]

Unique

Thu May 19, 2005 6:27 pm

Quoting Key (Reply 26):
but nobody is going to make money from my pics without paying me first.

It's for an internal presentation, everything else is pure speculation!

I agree if you live from your pictures, i.e. you're a professional photog. As long as it's your hobby, why not helping them? Maybe they'll help you in return by granting your camera to stay with you on the next Airbus facility tour?

If I was Mr l'Estoile, I'd have not the best opinion of spotters and their behaviour.

Are you sure they don't just take your picture and use it for the presentation? Who will ever tell you? There you are...

Of course it's your decision, but this is my opinion.

Key

Thu May 19, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting Unique (Reply 27):
I agree if you live from your pictures, i.e. you're a professional photog. As long as it's your hobby, why not helping them?

Maybe because of reply #5? And making money with it in this case is no speculation: the message says it's the marketing department, Airbus is a multi billion dollar business whose single goal it is to sell planes = make money, and Mr. de l'Estoile is the first to bring up the subject of payment.

If you judge a tour of the factory with photo permission suitable payment for a pic of yours, that's perfectly OK I think. In this specific case however I would demand cash. All of this is assuming the request was real btw, which I am not convinced of...

If acft manufacturers have opinions on spotters they can only be very positive, possibly the biggest fanclub in the world is theirs!

Erik

skymaster

Thu May 19, 2005 11:48 pm

Airbus have a picture budget. I know the A.net photographer "Reika". He have received a request from EADS / CASA (part of Airbus) and paid 100 € for using this picture:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Reika

Unique

Fri May 20, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting Key (Reply 28):
Maybe because of reply #5?

Your camera was free and you don't work (or go to school) so you have plenty of free time on your hands.

Agree, but I didn't know that you only go spotting in order to make money...

Anyway, it's Fergal's picture and his decision!

philhyde

Fri May 20, 2005 2:31 am

Quoting Key (Reply 26):
Quoting Philhyde (Reply 19):
Let's face it - any nutbag with three grand can go buy a "compu-cam" setup and produce good results. With a little practice and a little more luck (i.e. right place, right time), said nutbag can compete with professionals.

Don't think so. That is, not for customers with an eye for quality. Said nutbag may have a few lucky ones but will get no further without (self-?) education.

Yeah, but in this case, the "eye for quality" is a sales person. No offense, but it probably doesn't represent the pinnacle of photographic critique.

Key

Fri May 20, 2005 3:02 am

@ Unique
You've guessed it, I don't do this for the money but now you're turning it around...

Quoting Unique (Reply 30):
Anyway, it's Fergal's picture and his decision!

Absolutely!

@ Philhyde
Got a point. Still I don't see mr. Snapshot steal away a considerable part of the market.
Anyway, none of this is going to stop us enjoying what we do, is it?

Erik

Lindy

Fri May 20, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting Unique (Reply 30):
Agree, but I didn't know that you only go spotting in order to make money...

Unique, I can see you don't understand my statement.
Most of us go to the airport for our pleasure, not with the mind set for sale.
BUT, if company like Airbus wants to use your picture thats a big plus. Whats wrong with making few bucks? If somebody wants to use your picture tell them that:
- you got there using your car (which is not free), or bus/train
-gas which is not free
-you paid for parking which is not free (in my case at IAD you have to pay a lot)
-you spent at the airport this and that amount of time
-tear and wear of your camera equipment etc.

This is our beloved hobby, but if opportunity strikes don't act like a fool. For that extra cash you can buy another CF card, or you can pay for your flight to another city to take more pictures, or anything else you want to do with it. Its your money, you have earned it. If they selected your picture it means that you are doing something right. Its not like you are stealing money from some company.

I am fleet collector. I started fleeting US airlines way before digital era. It costed a lot of money to develop film. Yearly I was spending +/- $3000 just on the film processing. Thats a lot of money for a person that is not making living out of photography. But since companies were willing to pay some small amount for the pictures I never said no to them. I never asked them to pay over $300 for picture. For them it meant cheaper than stock photo agency, and because of that they were returning customers.
I can happily say that I have very strong relationship with one aviation consulting agency and one aviation leasing company. If they need aviation pictures they will come to me first.

Here is how I achived that status:
- Company asked me for the price for one of my pictures. I said something like $175. They were very pleased with the price.
-Two weeks later they needed two more pictures. Price for the second picture was $150 and $100 for the third one.
As you can see I gave them big discounts on next two pictures.
-Right now I'm selling pictures to that company for $75 each. No matter how many they need. They have flat rate on all images.
-They are happy and I am happy. That way I can cover fraction of a cost of parking garages and gas.

I never refused use of my pictures to students, non-profit organizations, schools etc,.
But if big boys like Airbus or other industrial tycoons are asking for free pictures don't waste your time.

Please, don't let other people use you.

Take care,
Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

LHRSIMON

Fri May 20, 2005 3:24 am

I would tell them to to take a long walk off a short pier !!! Big grin

Why should we be a charity.... You cant go into a showroom and buy a car just due to the fact you like it !!!! So why do they think they can do it with our work !!!!

As others have said why cant they just offer you something other than cash. Maybe a tour round the airbus facility for example..... That would cost them nothing to arrange....

Simon C
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

Lindy

Fri May 20, 2005 10:19 am

To make you feel better I just lost sale from Saab  Smile

"Thanks for the quick reply, Rafal. Unfortunately I do not have a
budget to purchase photo rights. All I can offer, if we use your photo, is
credits.

Regards,
Manager Sales/Marketing Support
SAAB Aircraft Leasing
**** Ridgetop Circle
Sterling, VA 20166
***-***-**** phone
www.saabaircraftleasing.com"

How did it go? Take a long walk off the short pier?

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Stealthz

Fri May 20, 2005 10:41 am

Rafal,

I fear we will have to get used to this, with many well meaning amateurs (many here obviously) prepared to work for free(or very cheap) this is going to become more common.
I have lost 2 corporate photo gigs(non aviation) this year because "Fred in Sales has a digital camera and..." or words to that effect.

Regards

Chris

KLGAviation

Fri May 20, 2005 11:00 am

Guys,

They DO have a budget for that. They just think that they can get the easy way out because the "average" amateur would just give away their photo for free. But then again, we aren't average. Big grin

Request some money, and if they reject it, its their loss.  Smile

Chris
There is a fine line between a picture and a photo. The latter seems to be disappearing.

Fiveholer

Fri May 20, 2005 12:07 pm

Interesting, I find it very hard to believe that Airbus doesn't have the "budget" to purchase a photo. Sheesh, hopefully, they won't use it as they stated since they can't pay you. I had rather pleasant experience with my first sale to Airline Business magazine about a month ago. They had contacted me about purchasing a shot of mine to which I was quoted a price and took it. I asked what size and sent it on after we had an agreement. Later on I was emailed again to be informed of press time for the May issue and that it would be about a week after that that I would get my requested copies. The best part was when they told me it was going to be used for a half page shot instead of spot use and they doubled the payout for me! They could have said nothing and used a larger shot for the same price as a smaller one. Needless to say, I got my requested copies and the check came this past week. They were great dealing with, shame to hear Airbus isn't.  Sad

Danny

[Edited 2005-05-20 05:11:16]
Bring back Bethune!

apuneger

Fri May 20, 2005 7:37 pm

Quoting Fiveholer (Reply 38):
Interesting, I find it very hard to believe that Airbus doesn't have the "budget" to purchase a photo

I'm almost 100% sure they even have a budget for the purchase of coffee Big grin Anyway, if they don't want to pay it's their loss...

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

malandan

Fri May 20, 2005 9:58 pm

A bit 'off thread', I'm afraid, but I filed away (too well, it appears) a list of suggested charges for the commercial use of photographs.
Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction please?

Malcolm.
My interest lies in the future as I am going to spend the rest of my life there!

fergulmcc

Fri May 20, 2005 11:11 pm

How Much To Charge For Electronic Use? (by SmAlbany Apr 13 2005 in Aviation Photography)

Archived now but is this what you're looking for Malcolm?

Fergul   

Edit:
http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm
Found this in my searching.
 Big grin

[Edited 2005-05-20 16:18:19]

malandan

Fri May 20, 2005 11:45 pm

Ah Fergul, what would we do without you - exactly what I was looking for.
 bigthumbsup 
Thanks again,
Malcolm.
My interest lies in the future as I am going to spend the rest of my life there!

fergulmcc

Sat May 21, 2005 12:17 am

You're welcome Malcolm

Take care

Fergul Big grin  sun