mrniji

Order Photo CD Or Scan Yourself?

Tue May 17, 2005 2:48 pm

I was just wondering:

using a Pentax SX-50 (not digital), with Sigma 300 Lense: would you recommend to order a photo CD when getting the role developed, or does it make more sense to scan yourself (or even do both)?

What size should be ordered for the prints? I see a problem with ordering 4x6, as the pic 'will be enlarged after scanning', i.e. a quality loss..

any advice appreciated!
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

N317AS

RE: Order Photo CD Or Scan Yourself?

Tue May 17, 2005 3:05 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Thread starter):
or does it make more sense to scan yourself

I hate scanning myself. I can't ever get the lid closed.  Wink
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Granite

Tue May 17, 2005 4:19 pm

Hi

For easyness go for a Photo CD but this is no guarantee that they will do it well.

Scanned prints, 6 x 4, can easily make it onto Airliners if the quality of the print is good enough. I am still using a flatbed scanner for older prints and getting good results:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary Watt - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Regards

Gary

Bernieh

Tue May 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Scans of my slides are made by a professional professional photographic lab here in Vienna. Nevertheless, a post manipulation process with your image manipulation software is still recommendet and takes a lot of time in order to get photos accepted here. But I think it's worth as you learn by doing.

Examples:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernd Hirnschrodt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernd Hirnschrodt

best
Bernd

edoca

Tue May 17, 2005 11:13 pm

I've never been impressed with pic quality on the CDs, and I've had developing done by several different labs. They always seem to give me heavily compressed jpeg pics on the disc, filling only a fraction of the CD capacity.
So you might not be able to use them for a.net anyway. Good luck!

ghostbase

Thu May 19, 2005 6:39 pm

I tried this a few years ago before I went digital in an effort to spend less time scanning films. As Edoca states the quality of the JPEGs on the discs was not that good and certainly nowhere near A.Net standards. At the time I was building a website dedicated to abandoned airfields and for photos of around 120kb size the CDs were ideal.

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

Skymonster

Thu May 19, 2005 7:14 pm

For optimal results, I'd suggest scanning the negs on a dedicated 35mm film scanner (note, NOT a flatbed). This is likely to achieve the best results, but even that process requires the investment of some effort to get a.net quality results - I think that the following is one of my better recent scans (35mm scanner), but do consider that it might not have made the database had it been a current subject:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Martin - AirTeamImages

Photo CDs can be very patchy in quality, often not good enough for a.net - believe me, we see them, and when it all goes wrong we also get the "but it was scanned onto CD by the lab so it must be good" thing - oh yeah? Scanning largish prints is an option, but again be prepared to invest quite some effort to get them to a.net standards - whilst Gary achieves very good results, do consider he does invest more effort than just clicking the scan button to get them looking nice, and that his scans are usually of old subject where we give a little leeway on quality.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

paulc

Thu May 19, 2005 7:55 pm

I had some Fuji slide films scanned onto CD when being processed (by Fuji) and the quality was very disappointing - would not use them again.

Image size was less than I could get by using my elderly slide scanner - neier of which produce good enough results for Anet.
English First, British Second, european Never!

Granite

Fri May 20, 2005 5:54 pm

Hi all

As Andy mentions, my scans take some time and I can work on an image for up to half an hour to get it just right.

Most of my stuff is 6 x 4 and scanned at 600dpi. Some may say that this is too much for web viewing but I have tried various settings and this works good for me. I also keep my scans just incase I need to do something with them again.

I have fine tuned Vuescan and always crank that up when scanning. My HP6300C is long in the tooth now but perform really well. Always thought about upgrading to something newer but as I don't use film any longer I will just stick it out until it finally packs in  Smile

I've got tons of digital stuff still to process but at the moment I am finding myself scanning more and more.

Regards

Gary