senorcarnival

Noise Woes

Fri May 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Recently, most of my pictures have turned out quite noisy. Case in point:
http://www.pbase.com/senorcarnival/image/43606259

Especially in the darker areas, the noise is really evident. It becomes even noisier if I apply dodging. I'm shooting in Aperture priority mode (f8-11 usually), ISO 64. These prosumer cameras (Minolta A2 in this case) are deadly on ISO 100 or above. I've fiddled with despeckling and dust&scratches filters on PS7, but they do little to assist in noise. Other than plunking down for Neat Image or Noise Ninja, is there anything that can cure my noise woes?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

DLKAPA

RE: Noise Woes

Fri May 20, 2005 4:26 pm

Shooting in good light, for starters.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

senorcarnival

Fri May 20, 2005 4:54 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 1):
Shooting in good light, for starters.

Anything else?

fergulmcc

Fri May 20, 2005 5:14 pm

Apart from what you have already mentioned, ISO 100, good light conditions, digital is not good on dull days. Point and shoot camera's are known for their high noise levels. Try to avoid Neat Image at all cost, it really can destroy a photo. If used carefully it can be effective. Eric, (DLKAPA) has an excellent workflow if you visit his site, can't find the web address for it, maybe he will post it. You are more than welcome to e-mail me and I can give you a copy of my process as well.

Take care

Fergul  sun 
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

edoca

Fri May 20, 2005 9:57 pm

I recently started using Paint Shop Pro - the latest version has a "digital camera noise reduction" function which I find excellent. You can apply it to individual layers, it isn't as destructive as NeatImage, and PSP has some very good other quick-fix functions that really work for me.
I'd agree with DLKAPA and Fergul though, good light is the most important factor. I've got megabytes of noisy bad-weather pics I really like but can't upload, no matter how I try to improve the basic picture...

philhyde

Fri May 20, 2005 10:17 pm

Given the settings you mention, I think you really need to open up the aperture more in low-light. That should help out a lot. If you are using aperture priority mode, try to use the smallest aperture (higher number) so that you get a shutter speed in the 400-500 range. If you routinely shoot in low-light conditions, consider using a monopod to reduce camera shake and improve the quality of your shots. Using this technique, you could probably use shutter speeds down to 250.

Also, I'm no expert, but your shot doesn't look noisy to me. Rather, it looks like it's been compressed and the edges have been over-sharpened. Make sure you are taking pictures at maximum quality and resolution.

cheers,
Phil
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

senorcarnival

Fri May 20, 2005 11:28 pm

Quoting Philhyde (Reply 5):
Also, I'm no expert, but your shot doesn't look noisy to me. Rather, it looks like it's been compressed and the edges have been over-sharpened. Make sure you are taking pictures at maximum quality and resolution.

You are right. That's the second version (maybe third..) of that picture since the original, so it does have some JPG compression.

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 3):
Eric, (DLKAPA) has an excellent workflow if you visit his site, can't find the web address for it, maybe he will post it. You are more than welcome to e-mail me and I can give you a copy of my process as well.

I usually use that workflow (and yours too, btw  Smile ), but I thought I'd do some tweaking of my own as well. Thank you though.