ua777222

Oh Crap My CF Gave Out! What To Do?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:21 pm

Hello,

I just got myself a new Hitachi 4GB Microdrive. I went to go and look at a few shots from last weekend and it would not show up in on my computer. I then went to my 300D to start it up and see if that worked but instead I got Error 2. What's Error 2? Ok I thought oh $hit this sucks. Took it over to my brand new 20D. She fires up in a flash. But, then I go to take a test shot and nothing happens. No shutter release, nada. It did focus though. It now makes a real real low buzzing sound when either plugged into my card reader or into either of my cameras once they power on.

This really blows hard for me seeing as its only 2 weeks old and has some of my best stuff yet on it.

Thanks,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

DLKAPA

RE: Oh Crap My CF Gave Out! What To Do?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:55 pm

I'm confused... Is the microdrive a type of CF card or are you using another CF card... I'm so confused.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ua777222

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:13 pm

Sorry about that. Yes it is a CF card. Pretty cheap too. It was like $150 for me to get the 4GB.

Just think of it as a CF card. They call it a microdrive, I think, because it has a minihard drive in it. This happens to be the exact HD used in the iPod Mini. Just a quick fact.

Thanks,

Matt

JeffM

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 2):
Yes it is a CF card. Pretty cheap too. It was like $150 for me to get the 4GB.

Matt, try leaving it plugged into your card reader for a while. It's possible it just needs to spin for a while. Although when you mention it buzzing, I have a feeling it's already taking it's last breath.

If you can, I would just return it ASAP, and exchange it for a Compact Flash.

jumbojim747

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:40 pm

Matt try to delete the folder that it creates inside .
When your switching between cameras maybe its confusing the drive as each camera has its own folder name.
Hope you figure it out.
On a wing and a prayer

ua777222

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 4):
Matt try to delete the folder that it creates inside .

That's kind of hard seeing as it is not showing up therefor I have no access to it.

Thanks,

Matt

ChrisH

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:23 pm

Did you remember to format the drive before you started using it?
what seems to be the officer, problem?

ua777222

Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 6):
Did you remember to format the drive before you started using it?

I always format before new use. But the thing is, I wasn't done using it. I wasn't experiencing problems when trying to take pictures I had issues when trying to get to my photos to edit them.

Thanks,

Matt

F9Widebody

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:44 am

That's a bummer matt, how many shots were on there? I thought you downloaded them all after SFO? Did you just not download them all? I could be totally wrong here, but I think one of the main gripes with Microdrives is that they are pretty unreliable. If this thing goes, I would do as Jeff says and grab some CF.

Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

ua777222

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:43 am

Quoting F9Widebody (Reply 8):
I could be totally wrong here, but I think one of the main gripes with Microdrives is that they are pretty unreliable. If this thing goes, I would do as Jeff says and grab some CF.

Well, After you left SFO I stayed around for an hour or two after. Then it was an hour and a half ride to home. After that I went home and started to edit. Dinner. Then out to Oakley to drop off Alyssa. BTW She really liked you for some reason... So no I had not downloaded them. Then the issue with my parents as you know which put me out of commision on Tuesday. With Wednsday right around the corner I opted not to leave it on there any longer and plugged my CF card back in to do some edits. Nada.

That's the full story.

Thanks,

Matt

DLKAPA

Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 9):
BTW She really liked you for some reason...

Kyle maybe you should be spending more time in SFO this summer  Wink
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same