tom3

Bad Motiv For Nose Shots?!

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:28 am

Hello

I recently got 2 rejections , of 2 Nose Close up Shots , and the rejection reason was Bad Motiv , hm but the question is why Bad Motiv , as a lot of the pictures in the db are showing just the nose of the plane and even there is a category for nose shots on the upload page !
Here are the 2 Links:

Swiss :

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/HBSWISS.jpg

Centurion :

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/N612GCLUX.jpg

Kind regards

Tom - Lap
Tom Mousel - Lap

Gary2880

RE: Bad Motiv For Nose Shots?!

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:34 am

harsh, quality looks ok, i hope it was not because the pilots were not waving.

for the RJ possibly but maybe im being tooo picky its because the tinyest sliver of the S from swiss keeping into the shot, i think the general idea is to keep the logo out, keep the whole logo in, or just one word of it, e.g. not chopping a word in half. but thats not set in stone i dont think
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

bubbles
Crew

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 1):
i think the general idea is to keep the logo out, keep the whole logo in, or just one word of it, e.g. not chopping a word in half.

I agree with Gary. The half-way letter or logo doesn't look good.

_Hongyin_

Fly747

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:45 am

Hi Tom,

I agree with the above for the first shot. For the second shot, there's nothing special about it. No special sticker or anythng, just a plain white nose with a little bit of logo which may also be a contributing factor. It may be harsh, but that's what I think.

Ivan

tom3

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:23 am

Yes maybe , but there are a lot of similar nose shots in the Db , so IMO it's not fair.. !

Tom - Lap
Tom Mousel - Lap

bubbles
Crew

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting Tom3 (Reply 4):
there are a lot of similar nose shots in the Db , so IMO it's not fair..

Why don't screeners give us some explanations on Tom's complaint? Actually that will be something I'm also interested in.  listen 

_Hongyin_

CallMeCapt

Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:45 am

Landing gear on the 2nd photo is cropped out. Possible badmotiv?
 Confused
Without struggle, there is no progress. (Frederick Douglass)

AdamWright

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:25 am

They're boring ...  Wink

At least upload a picture with the crew waving.

-Adam

tom3

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:30 am

There are a few in the queue , where the crew is waving  Wink

Regards

Tom - Lap
Tom Mousel - Lap

ltena

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:49 pm

There are some weird things going around I got a few strange rejections lately like yours...

Your shots seem quite fine to me... not out of the ordinary but no reason to reject... Its hard to move between the thin line that separates the artistic side of this site and the other side that its a huge plain airplane photo catalog... Its hard to be creative here, well I think I spoke too much, never mind hehehe.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/CRW_5618_LX-MCV.jpg

Badcrop... its a full frame shot no crops... my intention was to fill the frame, keep the subject in this case the nose of the holly 747 in the full area frame.

Ive noticed that some similar photos make it into the DB but croping loosing the 3:2 aspect ratio from a 35mm film... I dont think thats fair... The Croping in PS can make things easyer but some times not fair as a photographer.

Personally I use cropping when needed, but just to fine tune a photo not to "make" the photo.

Regards to all...

[Edited 2005-06-15 09:25:27]
Luis Tena Orozco. Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

javibi

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:14 pm

Tom, as it has been said crop out the Swiss titles and try again. I agree both were harsh rejections, IMHO.

Quoting Ltena (Reply 9):
Its hard to be creative here

I agree with all you said, Luis.

j

IL76

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:19 pm

Quoting Ltena (Reply 9):
Ive noticed that some similar photos make it into the DB but croping loosing the 3:2 aspect ratio from a 35mm film... I dont think thats fair... The Croping in PS can make things easyer but some times not fair as a photographer.

You lost me there... What do you mean?

As in creativity/articity... I really don't see how zooming in to a nose section to see a captain waving (or not) can be categorised as creative or artistic... Just my opinion...

Cheers,
Eduard

javibi

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:26 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 11):
I really don't see how zooming in to a nose section to see a captain waving (or not) can be categorized as creative or artistic

IMHO, if it shows a non standard point of view, it is creative. We may like it or not, but that's another story.

Anyway I think Luis is talking about creativeness in general, not restricted to nose shots.

Cheers

j

ltena

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:34 pm

IL76 howdy.

Thanx "J" thats my point.

Well in the photo above as you can see the pilots are not the main subject in the frame but thanx for ponting them out

And for your quoting, what I tried to say, sorry if I didnt put my idea clearly, I do my best with english .

What I tried to say was that the creativity must come from the viewfinder of the camera not the PS skills...

Regards

[Edited 2005-06-15 09:37:46]

IL76

Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:01 pm

Quoting Ltena (Reply 13):
What I tried to say was that the creativity must come from the viewfinder of the camera not the PS skills...

Ok. Of course a shot must be well motivated when captured with the camera. But this does not mean it has to stay 3:2 if your camera is 3:2. If a shot looks nicer as a square, than a square it should be. If you shoot a portrait of a person for example, a 3:2 ratio is not very nice. Everything you try to capture could require a different format (within reasonable limits, for example A.net does not accept panorama shots  Smile).
Is this what you meant?

Cheers,
Eduard

BREmer

Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:09 pm

Recently had this one rejected.
http://www.airlinersite.com/Fly/bilder/ams0505_nwadc10_nose.jpg

After that I tried it again without the part of the wing and engine but still a 'badmotive'. Too bad, I really like the composition of this shot.

Quoting Ltena (Reply 9):
Its hard to move between the thin line that separates the artistic side of this site and the other side that its a huge plain airplane photo catalog... Its hard to be creative here

Very true words!

Lukas

ltena

Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:42 am

Hi, I think Im getting the formula hehehe its hard to upload a photo without the nose gear... This are the times when badmotiv doesent make a good explanation... heres one of my photos (dont open if you dont want to  Smile)

why mine make it and yours didnt? I cant explain  Confused

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Luis Tena Orozco

Regards

michaeljp

Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:17 am

I think all the photos displayed here are really nice.

Bremer I really like that NWA Photo, I think it gives a clear and distinct impression of the size of the DC10 just as the Lux 747.
Its true about the artistic and creative sides now though...shame.

Mike

Blackhawk144

Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:24 am

I actually thought the badmotive may have been for this reason:

1st photo: S in logo AND the red lights in the background (Sorry for being broad)

2nd photo: The Fence is the reason it would get Badmotive

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!