Jonas
Topic Author

Should I Have Charged For This Use?

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:32 pm

Hello everyone,

First post here. Yay.  Smile

Some time ago, an instructor from X Airlines (not relevant...) asked me the permission to use one of my photo for a powerpoint presentation for in-house use only. I agreed to let him use the photo for free. Is this a case for which I should have asked money?

Personally I think it's OK to let it go free for a in-house use. But if it is acceptable to charge a fee, I might as well do that the next time (if it happens...). We can always use the extra income right?  Smile

If that is the case, how much is considered acceptable? I'm really new to this and I have really no clue.

Also, is there anything I should do to protect myself so they do not use this photo for something else without asking me first?

Thanks for your advice!

Jonathan

N317AS

RE: Should I Have Charged For This Use?

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:46 pm

For in house use I don't bother, But I also send an invoice stating the use and to contact me for non in house use (not worded that way). That way you have something to fall back on.

BTW, I don't consider the glossy End of the Year reports as in-house.

[Edited 2005-06-22 05:48:51]
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Jonas
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:23 pm

Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much what I thought.

ake0404ar

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:31 pm

Guys,

I know especially newbies get excited once the start selling the first pictures or getting an e-mail where someone wants to use your picture.

Think about it: these corporations may they be big or small have enough money to compensate you for your work. Monetary compensation or a simple merchandise article would do it.

We had this discussions so many times:

By giving out your work for free you are making it harder for those of us who are depending on photo sales etc.

To reiterate.....never give your work out for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you
Vasco Garcia

Scooter

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:00 am

Quoting AKE0404AR (Reply 3):
To reiterate.....never give your work out for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break. For in house use, there is no point in charging a fee.
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

aerorobnz

Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:05 am

I think that's great to give the first one free, but if they come back in the future to say to them - now that you've used my photos on more than one occasion I feel that it would be prudent to negotiate some form of remuneration for your continued use of my photos.

you are making it harder for those of us who are depending on photo sales etc.

Competition makes the world go around. Whether we do it for a career or as part of our hobby it's still a business at the end of the day, and part of business is having competition and how we adapt our businesses to it. By giving the usage rights for free occasionally may not make us money but it does make us competitive in the market.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

unattendedbag

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:15 pm

By giving out your work for free you are making it harder for those of us who are depending on photo sales etc.

Some of us have regular jobs and consider this a hobby. If Boeing wants to use my photo for an ad campaign, then I would expect some compensation. But if junior flight student wants to set my photo up as his computer desktop, I have no problem with that. I think that should remain free.  butthead 
Slower traffic, keep right