woady

Do You Guys Shoot In RAW Or Jpeg?

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:49 am

I was just wondering whether you guys let your cameras do the processing and shoot in JPEG or whether you shoot with RAW then edit the files on your PCs?

Woady
A300-600R, 737-300, 737-800, 757-200, 767-200/300/ER, ERJ145, ATR72

johndm1957

RE: Do You Guys Shoot In RAW Or Jpeg?

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:06 am

Bit of both for me.

RAW is so time consuming, but a better bet if conditions are poor.
Canon 550D, 18-55, 50 1.8, 100-400L

TS

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:13 am

I shoot RAW under potentially difficult light situations like night or cabin shots or in case the focal length isn't enough so I have to crop. Otherwise JPEG fine gives great quality with the 10D.

Thomas
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

edoca

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:16 am

For me, it depends on a few things: my camera can shoot more pics in a burst when using jpeg. So if I want to make sure I catch a fast-moving object, and the lighting conditions allow it, I'll go for jpeg.
With difficult light, I go straight to RAW - it takes a bit more post-processing but it's generally worth it.

INNflight

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:17 am

L jpg fine quality. Suits me fine. I find RAW shooting with the 300D sucks. The buffer's too small, you need way more CF cards and also post processing is more time consuming.

I have never been in a situation so far where I did regret not shooting RAW. My results are perfectly okay with jpg also.

cheers,
Florian
Jet Visuals

eddl

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:33 am

RAW all the way! Haven't shot a single JPEG image in the last years ...

EDDL

ake0404ar

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:41 am

Only RAW for me (aviation stuff).
For weddings, landscape, people jpg fine is good enough.

Vasco

ChrisH

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:44 am

Havent shot a single JPG since I got my D70 a year ago. RAW 4 life =)
what seems to be the officer, problem?

woady

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:05 am

Sounds like I might have to have a bit of a practice with RAW, only have a small memory card at the moment though.

Woady
A300-600R, 737-300, 737-800, 757-200, 767-200/300/ER, ERJ145, ATR72

Tommy Mogren

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:14 am

RAW for 100%

Tommy Mogren
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

LHRSIMON

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:16 am

L.Fine JPEG for me. Same as Florian with all the same reasons as well. I just dont have the time to edit RAW.

Cheers
Simon C
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

Airplanepics

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:19 am

If i'm going to be taking lot's of photos, I use Jpeg.
But, if Im shooting a rare subject, or know I wont take a lot of photos, I'll shoot RAW.

Also, In bad weather - I usually shoot RAW.

Simon.
Simon - London-Aviation.com

mygind66

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:19 am

RAW RAW RAW!
Probably because I need some help when the photo lacks of some quality  Big grin

Enrique

javibi

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:32 am

100% RAW!!

And once you get used to it processing is as fast as with JPEG, IMHO.

j

ghostbase

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:55 am

The Pentax *istD gives the option of saving photos in non-compressed TIFF format which seems to be a good compromise. What would be a 1536x1024 800KB sized JPEG file comes out at 4.6MB in TIFF, this means I can shoot nearly four times more images than using the RAW format. I have certainly noticed that there appears to be reduced loss of image quality when editing TIFF files as opposed to JPEG.

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

fl350

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:56 am

100% RAW (aviation) and like Javier said once you get used to process pics in RAW it's fast as a Jpeg.
RAW allows better work space if commercial use of the image is needed.
I shoot Jpeg for fashion shows, holidays, landscapes and all the rest...

Cheers

Fabrice
Fabrice Sanchez - Brussels Aviation Photography

senorcarnival

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:21 am

RAW is too much work sometimes just to get to tweak with WB and exposure compensation, so like many here, I only shoot RAW in difficult conditions, regardless if it's for aviation or otherwise.
While it's not as time-consuming as it sounds, it can be that way when your computer is slow as it is then you throw a massive TIFF file at it.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

JeffM

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:48 am

I don't waste my time shooting raw for airplanes. Learn how to set your exposure right the first time, and jpeg does the trick easy enough. I only use RAW on portraits, and then only for rare occaisions.

flyingzacko

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:58 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 17):
I don't waste my time shooting raw for airplanes. Learn how to set your exposure right the first time, and jpeg does the trick easy enough.

That's what I would say. I mean maybe it's just me being naive, but I don't really get the whole RAW thing. What's really good about it besides the fact, that you can alter a couple of more things like the lighting, etc. afterwards.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Canon 40D + 24-70 f/2.8 L + 70-200 f/4 L + Speedlite 430EX

AA777

Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:29 am

I use JPEG. I have found that with my equipment (Nikon D70), and the lens (70-300) basic lens.... that RAW has actually given me poorer results than JPEG and the largest size.... I should probably start trying RAW again, as I have found the best settings for my camera, but even when I was using less than proper settings, I always found JPEG quality to be better.... plus a heck of a lot smaller to download, and a lot lot lot easier to mess around with on PS.

-AA777

ChrisH

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:19 pm

Quoting Flyingzacko (Reply 18):
What's really good about it besides the fact, that you can alter a couple of more things like the lighting, etc. afterwards.

You can get the full dynamic range from the sensor and work with a 16 bit file, giving more detail in dark areas etc. I like to make a big print every now and then, and I don't mind selling images either, feels much better to be able to offer a 16 bit TIF processed by me, rather than a posterized 8-bit jpg processed cheap&dirty by the software in the camera.

But hey, maybe you guys are still using auto-levels in photoshop too. Whatever works for you.

I recommend reading this page for those of you who have yet to see the light ;o)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...rstanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml

sean377

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:24 pm

Quoting Flyingzacko (Reply 18):
What's really good about it besides the fact, that you can alter a couple of more things like the lighting, etc. afterwards.

Pasted from Photoshop's Help File:

"Camera raw image file formats are like digital negatives. They are created by a variety of digital cameras and contain all the information the camera has about the image. The image information is directly captured from the camera's Charged Coupled Device (CCD) or Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) without filters and adjustments applied by the camera. This lets photographers interpret the image data rather than letting the camera make the adjustments and conversions.

Similar to TIFF, a camera raw image file does not throw away any image information to generate a file--it's lossless--but camera raw image files have the advantage of being smaller than uncompressed TIFFs. Only camera raw images contain the actual data captured by the sensor without any in-camera processing".

The 1st bit is the important bit. Digital negatives. Just as a processing shop can adjust the final image of a film negative during processing, we can do the same with RAW files.

It's fair to say that modern digital cameras do a fine job in creating good quality jpegs, but if it get's it wrong, your stuck without the RAW file.

Having said all that, I am still experimenting with RAW, and yes, it can be time-consuming, but I put that down to clunky software!

Sean
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

INNflight

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:49 pm

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 20):
I like to make a big print every now and then, and I don't mind selling images either

I shoot jpg, made several poster prints of them ( about 2,5m wide, with almost no pixels visible from a viewing distance of 30cm! ) and also regularly sell photos.

So far, I never lost a photo deal because of jpg. You can upsize a well-shot jpg 3000pixels file to 6000 all the time without great quality loss. You'd have a 400dpi photo with that, more than enough for all customers I had yet.

Learn how to set your exposure right the first time, and jpeg does the trick easy enough.

Well said.

Florian
Jet Visuals

syncmaster

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:51 pm

RAW, and only RAW. Yes, it's more time-consuming, but the benefits are endless.

And as long as you have a good program for the conversion, it's even better. Personally I use a Capture One/Photoshop CS combination and would highly recommend it.

-Charlie

ChrisH

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:25 pm

Quoting INNflight (Reply 22):
I shoot jpg, made several poster prints of them ( about 2,5m wide, with almost no pixels visible from a viewing distance of 30cm! ) and also regularly sell photos.

Sure it's possible, looks OK, no more. I've done side by side comparisons on an Epson 9600 and much prefer the RAW-output. Obliviousness is bliss I suppose.

[Edited 2005-07-05 10:26:40]

javibi

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:27 pm

I don't waste my time shooting raw for airplanes.

That explains a lot of things...

Learn how to set your exposure right the first time

Will you organize some practical classes for us underachievers, Jeff? I'll surely join them and have fun if you do!!

Big grin

RAW will give you a much better quality original, 99% of the time JPEG might be OK, but you'll regret it as I do if you take THE shot and it is a lousy JPEG file.

Cheers

j

JeffM

Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:37 pm

Quoting Javibi (Reply 25):
Will you organize some practical classes for us underachievers, Jeff? I'll surely join them and have fun if you do!!

No, there are plenty of "experts" jumping at the chance to show you their workflow. I've seen them, and am amazed at how much work they require. What happened to getting it right in camera? You want a lesson? Shoot like you don't have PhotoShop to bail you out.

Quoting Javibi (Reply 25):
RAW will give you a much better quality original, 99% of the time JPEG might be OK, but you'll regret it as I do if you take THE shot and it is a lousy JPEG file.

If shooting raw is what you need to get an acceptable photograph, go for it. I don't need it, so why bother? I don't take airplane pictures as seriously as many here. I've sold images to a few books, a couple of magazines, quite a few companys and two very large posters like Florian...they have all been jpeg. The money is the same. In the end, you are turning your precious RAW file into a "lousy" jpeg anyway...

ChrisH

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:38 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 26):
If shooting raw is what you need to get an acceptable photograph, go for it. I don't need it, so why bother?

If "acceptable" is the standard you strive for, then congrats on finding a workflow to suit you. I recommend you start shooting JPG Small in your Canon. There, I saved you another few precious second of photoshop time. All you need is MS paint.

Personally, with all the $ spent on cameras/lenses/petrol/flights/hotels/rentalcars etc. I really don't see why to settle for "acceptable". If a.net uploading @ 1024 is the sole purpose then you don't even need a DSLR. I like to use my equipment to the max, + I enjoy the raw-editing and Photoshop-work, it's a big part of the hobby.

A good example:

Was in CDG in March, weather was a big letdown and so was traffic. Anyway I wanted to at least have a few shots from CDG up since I'd bothered going there. This shot straight out of camera would have had a near pitchblack belly, but thank's to the dynamic range of the D70 and shooting .NEFs, I could turn it into a pretty decent shot which is very close to what I actually saw in the VF when I shot it. I was amazed at the amount of detail I could bring out from underneath the wings without introducing noise.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christopher Hammarborg

JeffM

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:54 pm

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 27):
If a.net uploading @ 1024 is the sole purpose then you don't even need a DSLR. I like to use my equipment to the max, + I enjoy the raw-editing and Photoshop-work, it's a big part of the hobby.

Good for you Chris... I have two DSLRs...Nikon and Canon...and because I don't treat airplanes like some teenage virgin I want to get in bed, doesn't mean I don't use my equipment to the "max" as you put it. Open your eyes...there is a lot more to photography then putting your little d70 on A priority and shooting a nef, then spending an hour making a picture out of it.

The thread starter asked the question.... I gave a response. If you disagree, great. As to finding my workflow? LOL....I've been doing this since you were learning to ride a two wheeler.... save your recomendations for someone who wants them. *hint* it's not me.  Wink

sean377

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:05 am

Do I sense a scrap???  Yeah sure

ChrisH

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:33 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 28):
Good for you Chris... I have two DSLRs...Nikon and Canon...

Lovely, you're very experienced. I've owned Fuji S1/S2/S3, D70 and soon the D2X.

and because I don't treat airplanes like some teenage virgin I want to get in bed, doesn't mean I don't use my equipment to the "max" as you put it.

No you've made that pretty clear already Big grin And you've got the pics to confirm.

I've been doing this since you were learning to ride a two wheeler....

Keep practicing though, you'll get the hang of it one of these days.

save your recomendations for someone who wants them.

Thus posting in a public forum. I don't recall ever addressing you alone Big grin Reality check? I'm posting my views on RAW, you're posting yours. Some might see my point and explore RAW a bit more and improve. Some will stay oblivious, allright chief?  Wink

andrewuber

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:45 am

My good friend Charles Juszczak convinced me to try RAW back in January of this year - and I've been hooked ever since. You have SO MUCH flexibility in RAW - you can salvage LOTS of photos that just wouldn't work in JPG. Capture One makes editing RAW files easy, and it's pretty easy to learn. I was up and running within hours.

The down side is that RAW files are much bigger. Another down side is the amount of time it takes to process RAW images. You actually have to post-process each photo twice - once in your RAW editor, and another in PhotoShop. But like I said - it's well worth it.

Now if I'm shooting pics around the house, or for business (ultra-high res isn't necessary), then I shoot in medium fine JPG - that's good enough for "snapshots". But when it comes to aviation photography - especially here on a.net - RAW is the way to go.

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

javibi

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:10 am

I've just received phone calls from BOTH Nikon and Canon (they follow closely this forum) and they just told me they are going to skip RAW capabilities on their next generation DSLR's, convinced as they are that the format is no good and has little, if any at all, use, thanks to the detailed and insightful arguments Jeff has offered to us all.

RAW is for sissies!!

LOL

j

flyingzacko

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:24 am

You can get the full dynamic range from the sensor and work with a 16 bit file, giving more detail in dark areas etc. I like to make a big print every now and then, and I don't mind selling images either, feels much better to be able to offer a 16 bit TIF processed by me, rather than a posterized 8-bit jpg processed cheap&dirty by the software in the camera.

Thanks for the response.

But hey, maybe you guys are still using auto-levels in photoshop too. Whatever works for you.

But hey, maybe next time you just keep crap like this to yourself. If only owned my DSLR for about 4 months now, and haven't had a lot of chances to take it out to the airport yet. So I just feel, I'm not ready for shooting in RAW yet. You on the other hand, are one of the best of the best of the best of the best sir, I guess. At least that is how you're presenting yourself here. Your post would have done well without this sarcastic comment is all I'm saying.

Cheers,
Sebastian

javibi

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:37 am

Quoting FlyingZacko (Reply 33):
But hey, maybe next time you just keep crap like this to yourself

Please, guys, do not take this so personal!!

Our good friend JeffM made the most valid point in this discussion:

Quoting JeffM (Reply 26):
You want a lesson? Shoot like you don't have PhotoShop to bail you out.

But if you are shooting in difficult weather/light conditions and/or wanna be able to correct possible exposure, white balance, etc... mistakes you or your equipment may have made and, like ChrisH said, get the most of your thousand dollars equipment, RAW is what you are looking for. Of course you''l need a good buffer and lots of memory and change your workflow a bit (which in MY case is LESS time consuming now that I shoot RAW), but some of you might find it worth it as I do.

Cheers

j

flyingzacko

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:43 am

All I was trying to say, is that I value every comment with constructive critique in it.

But Chris' comment was just sarcastic and not entailing anything useful in it. Other than that I'm always trying to learn new stuff since, like I said before I'm still really new to photography. I mean I only have 12 pics in the db, but I'll keep trying.

Cheers,
Sebastian

ChrisH

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:04 am

Quoting FlyingZacko (Reply 33):
But hey, maybe next time you just keep crap like this to yourself.

That comment was actually not aimed at you, it just happened to follow another response to your question. I should've made that more clear. Snide remarks get snide retorts, and you've yet to make a snide remark =). I recommend you download a trial of Capture One's raw-converter and try it out, or if you have Photoshop CS2 try the ACR 3.1. Play around with it and I think you'll start to see why some of us love RAW so much =)

take care

flyingzacko

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:07 am

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 36):
That comment was actually not aimed at you,

I definitely take that back then, Chris. Thanks for clarifying that.

Cheers,
Sebastian

wietse

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:08 am

Let me just jump on this one as well.

Whatever works for you.

Damn right! Isn't that the whole point here? If you find a way of doing things that suit you, you don't want some arrogant wannabe pro telling you things like:

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 24):
Obliviousness is bliss I suppose.

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 27):
I recommend you start shooting JPG Small in your Canon. There, I saved you another few precious second of photoshop time. All you need is MS paint.

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 30):
Lovely, you're very experienced. I've owned Fuji S1/S2/S3, D70 and soon the D2X.

Oh wow. so that makes you knowledgeable?

Some might see my point and explore RAW a bit more and improve. Some will stay oblivious, allright chief?

How about the third option: Some people have looked at both alternatives and they have made a personal choice of how to process their pictures. And then you come along calling people that shoot JPEG oblivious. doh.

Reality check?

Reality check? Consider the fact that perhaps not everyone is taking this as serious as someone like you. Don't put people down that don't agree with your views.

You use Nikon right? That explains a lot to some people I know.

Point is: stop acting like you are gods gift to photography and get back in line. If someone asks a question, answer the damn question, perhaps offer advice, but don't jump on other people giving their answers.

RAW vs. JPEG? RAW when it matters, and with my obligations towards ATI, it always matters when shooting aviation stuff. JPEG when I just want to shoot some pics at parties or whatever.
Wietse de Graaf

ChrisH

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:13 am

Wietse:

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 36):
Snide remarks get snide retorts.

Read between the lines and you'll see I'm giving lots of advice, the rest is just forum banter  

Quoting Wietse (Reply 38):
You use Nikon right? That explains a lot to some people I know.

Love it! I was actually taking you seriously up until then  

Anyways, it's not about taking things too seriously. It's chasing quality, I love it. RAW = Quality, simple as that.

Quoting Wietse (Reply 38):
Oh wow. so that makes you knowledgeable?

I'm not the one listing all my gear in my sig, am I?  Wink

[Edited 2005-07-05 19:15:05]

JeffM

Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 am

Wietse,

Forget about it...he has over 400 pictures....he is obviously an expert.  Wink
Most likely a true legend in his own mind. LOL

-Jeff

TS

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:18 am

Quoting Javibi (Reply 34):
Our good friend JeffM

rotfl 
Good one!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

ChrisH

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 40):
Most likely a true legend in his own mind

pot. kettle. black

yawn  I'm done with this.

JeffM

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:06 am

Woady,

Do yourself a favor....try them both and see what suits you.

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 42):
m done with this

You sure are! Good luck on that search for a camera that can finally keep up with your skills... LOL.... rotfl 

sean377

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:10 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 43):
Good luck on that search for a camera that can finally keep up with your skills

I'll lend you my old one!

ChrisH

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:38 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 43):
Good luck on that search for a camera that can finally keep up with your skills

Thanks chief, but no need for luck, told you I got it coming:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/nikond2x/d2x-specs.jpg

Then maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to upload 757 sideshots and be a top photog. like you!  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

flyingzacko

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:40 am

What is that D2X anyways? Is it like the Canon 1D's.
Excuse my ignorance.

Cheers,
Sebastian

ChrisH

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:48 am

Yep, 12mpixels @ 5fps or 6.7mpix @ 8fps in the highspeed cropmode. A true beast of a camera. It's not fullframe like the 1Ds, so retains the 1.5x crop factor (2x in hi-speed mode).

full review here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2x/

flyingzacko

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:51 am

That camera is a beast indeed. Wish I had a beast of a bank account for something like that too. I'm happy for you. Let us know when you get it, and then let us enjoy the shots taken with it afterwards.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Jofa

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting Woady (Thread starter):
I was just wondering whether you guys let your cameras do the processing and shoot in JPEG or whether you shoot with RAW then edit the files on your PCs?

In my opinion JPG can't compare to RAW when it comes to quality. Nowadays i always use RAW when doing night photography or shooting in twilight. I also use it when shooting important planes where i want that little extra boost in sharpness and colors and a more versatile postprocessing. So why do i not use RAW all the time? First reason is that i only have 512+256 MB cards, pretty slow ones as well. That means i have storage problems when im at the airport for longer photography-sessions. The second reason is that the Canon 10D (with my budget CF-cards) can't clean the buffer fast enough for my taste.