N62NA
Topic Author

How Much To Charge?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:08 am

I just reread the rules here and I do not think I am violating them, so here goes.

I have received many emails complimenting me on one of my photos:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Bungo

Today, somebody emailed me wanting to buy a print. This is the first time I have ever had such a request. Two questions:

1) How much should I charge for this picture (I understand it would just be your individual opinion - some might say it's worthless!)

2) How do I go about providing the requestor with the print? I imagine I would negotiate the details with him, then have him send me a check or money order or something, then I would mail the photo print out to him?

Anyway, I'm sure SOMEBODY here has been through this before and any advice would be appreciated.

Fly747

RE: How Much To Charge?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:17 am

Is it for private or commercial use? If it's private you can make your photo available for sale through A.net and they will take care of it. If it's for commercial use you need more details from that person regarding size, how many prints they want to run, etc. Then you can decide on your price.

Ivan

JeffM

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:22 am

Was this person wanting the print for personal use, or for some other type of use? You also didn't mention what size print? 8"x10"s are pretty cheap to have done, and I sell quite a few for around $25 bucks for personal use. I tack on $3.85 for USPS Priority shipping which gets it to the buyer in a day or two. Put a label on the back with your website, name, and any additional info you want the buyer to have for future reference or sales.

I always include a short handwritten "thank-you" note with a computer generated invoice for them, and one additional one for my accountant at tax time.

N62NA
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:25 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

Newark777

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:08 am

If it's private you can make your photo available for sale through A.net and they will take care of it.

Not if you want to get any money out of it.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Fly747

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:38 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 4):
Not if you want to get any money out of it. Wink

True but easy enough  Smile

Ivan