stu1978

Safest Way To Remove Dust Off Mirror

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:46 am

Whilst cleaning me camera over the weekend in preparation for a good day at Fairford, I decided to take a look at the sensor and see if it needed cleaning.

From viewing previous pics on me PC it has been showing dust spots in the same areas for ages, before I have just edited them out.

Whilst I was going through the process I noticed that the shutter mirror seem to have a lot of dust/debris on it, when I looked at the sensor it self it seemed almost perfect, nothing visible to the naked eye, yet there were a lot more things to the naked eye on the shutter mirror.

What's the safest way to remove the stuff off the mirror ?

I have a blower brush but it's not the best in the world.

Cheers

stu

sulman

RE: Safest Way To Remove Dust Off Mirror

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:06 am

I was always told not to touch the mirror, as it has quite a fragile and complex coating (it's actually translucent if you look closely) , so I've just given it the blower treatment which seems to work okay.

Cheers

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

WhyWhyZed

RE: Safest Way To Remove Dust Off Mirror

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:09 am

Also, if you're getting the same dust spots on the photos, there is still dust on the sensor, noticable or not. The mirror is only used for your viewing so you'd see it in the eyepiece. It wouldn't be seen on the final product (the photo).

- Jason DePodesta