CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Why Am I Doing This?

Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:29 pm

Good morning everyone...

It is now a little before 6.30am here in the Yukon, and I've been up for 20 minutes already. Why did I get up at 6 in the morning on a sunday during my summer break when I could sleep in as late as I want? To go take some pictures. Why? I don't know. What y'all think? Worth the getting up early just for some photos in the morning light? Anyways I'm off for a couple hours, I just hope I dont fall asleep getting there and nail a tree or somethin because I dont wanna scratch my new bike.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

ArmitageShanks

RE: Why Am I Doing This?

Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:53 am

There's nothing like waking up before dawn to take some pictures. I think every photographer has done it at least once, so you're not strange for doing so. If it makes you happy, go for it.

diezel

Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:34 am

In the summer, here in the Netherlands you've got two time slots to take pictures:

1) sunrise until 2 hours after sunrise
2) 2 hours before sunset until sunset

The rest usually gets destroyed by heat haze. If there is one thing I've learned about taking pictures using long tele is that getting up early always pays off. So, in my opinion you made a correct (but hard) decision  trophy 

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:59 am

Well early as it was (not before sunrise, thats like 3am here this time a year, Im not getting up that early) that was kinda fun. Whole area looked beyond beautiful in the morning light, and it was nice and cool as well. Was nice change on the highway, yesterday it took me 5 minutes of waiting to get just enough of a gap in traffic to zip across, this morning I didn't even have to stop at all, just sailed right through. Got some alright pics too.

My plan of attack was arrive 6.40, do the AC flt at 6.50, sit on the chair I brought (also doubles as something to stand on to see over fence) and have my coffee and read the paper till 8, then do the 4N flts at 8 and 8.15. Of course I get out there on time and sit there and wait and Air Canada ends up leaving the gate over an hour late, so I could have had another hours sleep easily, but oh well it was a beautiful day and I had coffee to drink a paper to read and a chair to sit on and a great view all around (including looking out across the airport at the planes at the terminal, plus some cessnas taking off), so I was still more than happy.

Will look at uploading some of my pics to a.net later, but I will say that was 110% worth getting up early for.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

dinker225

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:01 pm

The highway, ah yes I drove thru there just 3 weeks ago. Strange though it was Canada day and nobody was on it. From the sounds of it you have a nice spot to sit and watch the planes. I remember driving past the airport. Had I realized it was so easy to spot and get a decent view I would have stopped for awhile. Glad to hear it was worth getting up for. Enjoy the sunlight now. If only it was like this year round. Winter is comming too quick.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

jorge1812

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:52 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Thread starter):
Why Am I Doing This?

Wonder everytime when I wake up to go to the airport very early. But then I look at these and know the answer.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Georg Noack
View Large View Medium

Photo © Georg Noack

View Large View Medium

Photo © Georg Noack
View Large View Medium

Photo © Georg Noack

Spotting is a damn fascinating hobby not everyone is doing and understanding. Think about that, despite of the Anet people, you're different from the majority.

Georg.

Kukkudrill

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:30 pm

I got some nice shots in the early morning.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano
View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano

Problem is, unless you're at a large airport it soon becomes repetitive.

More dawn shots anyone?

Charles
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

Erwin972

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 6):
More dawn shots anyone?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Erwin

Kind regards,
Erwin
My gear: Nikon, Sony, Red, Sachtler etc.

Newark777

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:43 pm

I thought you had said that one got rejected?

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

DLKAPA

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:44 pm

I as well still wonder why I find myself sitting out by the runways at god-awful early in the morning or god-awful late in the evening. Can't quite figure it out.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Erwin972

Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:25 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
I thought you had said that one got rejected?

Indeed correct. After stating that in another thread I decided to appeal (which normally I never ever do) and it got accepted. Got lucky this time.

Kind regards,
Erwin
My gear: Nikon, Sony, Red, Sachtler etc.

Newark777

Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:27 am

Indeed correct. After stating that in another thread I decided to appeal (which normally I never ever do) and it got accepted. Got lucky this time.

Congratulations then, it is a very beautiful shot.  thumbsup 

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?