malandan

Help On Badexposure Rejection.

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:16 pm

I've just had two rejections for badexposure, fully justified I'm sure, and I would welcome advice as to how these could have been avoided. The camera is a Canon Powershot Pro 1 which has most of the features of Canon DSLR's but without an interchangeable lens.

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...u_UL-450_G-BZAP_Fis_Jul_16_05b.jpg

This first one has a "burnt out" fuselage such that the juncture between the tail fin and the rear fuselage is lost. Is this a question of an adjustment for white balance? The background is quite dark in this area.

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...m_AA5B_G-WMTM_Fis_Jul_16_05-3b.jpg

The second has a marked exposure difference between the left hand side and right hand side of the photo. It may be possible to save it by general lightening.

Any thoughts / advice please?

Malcolm.
My interest lies in the future as I am going to spend the rest of my life there!

sfilipowicz

RE: Help On Badexposure Rejection.

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:21 pm

The first is is difficult, as you see the background has 1 white wall and 1 black wall. This is asking for trouble I think. I think you set your camera up for automatic exposure, the camera doesn't 'know' what you want to photograph. You could try spotmetering exposure allthough I don't think that would work.
The best would be manual exposure, it seems pretty sunny, I would try one photo on 1/1000, 1/750 and 1/500 and choose the best one.

Second photo, cockpit shots are always very difficult, because the cockpit it self is often dark, but the window is bright. But on this shot you seem to go that pretty right. What I find anoying on this photo is the reflection from the guages. Next you could try to prevent this by making the photo not at an angle. Or you could try a polorize filter, not sure if that can be mounted on your camera. But for the reject shot, there is not much you can do.

The first you can could play around a bit with levels in Photoshop.

Good luck!

JeffM

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:29 pm

Quoting Malandan (Thread starter):
This first one has a "burnt out" fuselage such that the juncture between the tail fin and the rear fuselage is lost. Is this a question of an adjustment for white balance?

?? No, You set the wrong metering mode and the camera allowed too long of an exposure. Read up on the different modes.

Quoting Malandan (Thread starter):
The second has a marked exposure difference between the left hand side and right hand side of the photo. It may be possible to save it by general lightening.

I doubt it. Again, you can see the results of bad metering. You would have benefited from some reflected fill, bounced fill flash to even out the poor light.

malandan

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:54 pm

Thanks Sfilipowicz & JeffM for the advice.

Don't intend to resubmit either but the advice will be useful next time the opportunity for such shots occurs.

Incidentally the Pro 1 has a hinged screen so that the camera can be located right into the cockpit from the aircraft exterior, with the screen rotated 90 degrees, but I find it difficult to avoid reflections generally or even reflections of the camera in the instrument glass.

Malcolm.
My interest lies in the future as I am going to spend the rest of my life there!

Woody001

Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:02 am

Malcolm,
Photoshop can only do so much with blown highlights, they are more or less irrecoverable, if in doubt under expose.

Has the Pro 1 got a histogram display..? May be an idea to have a quick look at it after capturing the image to see if it's clipped highlight/shadows.

Ian.
If I could just get the afterburner working...

malandan

Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:46 am

Quoting Woody001 (Reply 4):
Has the Pro 1 got a histogram display..?

Yes it has Ian and as has been said many times before in the forum, I need to try out a few possibilities and monitor at the time the photo is being taken. Also, I guess, if all else fails, read the instruction book!

Thanks,

Malcolm.