mrk25

Resizing Causing Jaggies - Help

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:27 am

Hi everyone, I am in the process of editing some shots from the weekend and one is giving me huge problems. I have converted the RAW image to Jpeg with no sharpening at all, when viewed at full size it is fine. As soon as I resize it to 1024 all the cheatlines produce jaggies, this is before any other sharpening is applied. I have tried it in Jpeg & Tiff but it is the same.
Any ideas ? Please.

LHRsunriser

RE: Resizing Causing Jaggies - Help

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:37 am

Mostly to do with Heat Haze I imagine if you were shooting in the U.k I was shooting on Sunday at LHR heat haze was a problem.

I do my best to get rid of them though  stirthepot  But it never works cos you can't get rid of them I dont think

Cheers Dom - Capital Aviation Photography
Getting back into it

Scooter

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:53 am

This is my biggest post-processing annoyance of all time (no...it's not heat haze as suggested above).

The trick? Reduce (from your RAW file) exactly 50%. Voila! No more jaggies.
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

mrk25

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:55 am

Hi Dom, Yes I was at LHR on Saturday shooting take off's, It is a real shame as the original image is not too bad, although it needs an extra kick of USM.
Thanks for your reply.
Mark

LHRsunriser

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting Scooter (Reply 2):
(no...it's not heat haze as suggested above).

Ok so on a hot day, zoomed in quite alot I imagine getting departures. Heat haze isn't going ot be a problem?

I think it is  fluffy 

Getting back into it

mrk25

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:00 am

Thanks Scooter, Works a treat. Back to some serious editing.
Mark

Scooter

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:03 am

Quoting LHRsunriser (Reply 4):
Ok so on a hot day, zoomed in quite alot I imagine getting departures. Heat haze isn't going ot be a problem?

Yes, heat haze will be a problem. But your original question made it sound like you were experiencing a very common post-processing issue. Jaggies resulting from extreme image down-sampling is pretty common, and occurs mostly in areas of the image where there are fine/thin horizontal lines.

Heat haze is a completely different issue.

Scooter

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:07 am

Quoting Scooter (Reply 6):
Yes, heat haze will be a problem. But your original question...

oops...sorry. Had you mistaken for Mrk25.

mrk25

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:27 am

To any of you guy's still in this thread, I read earlier about turning the sharpness setting on the camera itself right down to as good as off, have any of you had any experience with this.

LHRsunriser

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting Scooter (Reply 6):
Heat haze is a completely different issue.

Sorry for being abrupt Scooter. But heat haze can't be written out of the equation.

Getting back into it

Scooter

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting LHRsunriser (Reply 9):
Sorry for being abrupt Scooter. But heat haze can't be written out of the equation.

No worries...and yes, I agree - heat haze can be a problem. But the OP stated that his problem was that jaggies were occuring when he was resizing his images. If it were heat haze, the the visibilty of the "jaggies" (or slight blur/distortion) would decrease upon down-sampling an image. Trust me, I've been shooting for years, and I do know the difference between heat haze and jaggies/imperfections caused by various post-processing techniques. Heat haze suuuucccks though. I don't even like talking about it.  Smile

Quoting Mrk25 (Reply 8):
To any of you guy's still in this thread, I read earlier about turning the sharpness setting on the camera itself right down to as good as off, have any of you had any experience with this.

Yep, it's best to turn the sharpening OFF on your camera (if possible).

MONGORAT

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:43 am

Hi All,

I know the original thread starter was a question about RAW files and jaggies but my question is what happens when one downsizes a JPEG file?? Same result in that one should expect some jaggies?? I've been experiencing jaggies more and more lately, especially on the leading edges of the wing, is this the exact point Scooter makes when he says jaggies appear on fine/thin horizontal lines??

Cheers,
Matt

mrk25

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:06 am

Hi Matt, I haven't had too many probs with leading edges only horizontal lines, more so when an aircraft has multiple horizontal lines. But I am sure leading edges could be affected in the same way.
Mark

MONGORAT

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:05 am

Thanks Mark...strange...I've never had problems with horizontal lines, just leading edges; I suppose one day we'll both find a fix for our problems!!

Cheers,
Matt