Steve88
Topic Author

Police Against Flight Spotters In Bergamo!?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:02 am

Don't know if it has happened to more people than me but if you've been to Bergamo and spotting aircraft's landing on RWY28 there is a place just besides the taxi way south of the RWY. Actually where holding point Tango is to be more exact. There is a fence to the airport and also one around something like a water pump (or whatever it is). The gate was opened anyhow and 2 more guys where standing there watching the planes landing and taking off. A very good place for spotters I must say because you can stand on a platform and look over the fence. Just to mention that you are still behind the fence to the airport.
Stood there for about half an hour and then the police came.. Very suspicious with a gun in one of the guys hand! Telling us that we couldn't be there. Fine! All of us walked away from there without arguing but they weren't happy anyway. Check all the bags we had, the car, papers for the car, driving license (which they kept for like 10 minutes..)
Thought I just had to write about their stupid and unnecessarily rough behavior. To mention also is that I pass that spot in an aircraft almost everyday and always see people standing there.. Should do something about the fence instead!
Anyone else who have had the same experience?

Fly747

RE: Police Against Flight Spotters In Bergamo!?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:12 am

Yes it happens, I kind of got used to it. I have had my driver's license checked many times at my airport. I have a good spot at the airport which is perfectly legal but the same airport security guy keeps telling me otherwise. He always sends the police over and they just check me out and leave me alone because there's not much they can legally do.  no  This whole security thing is a big joke, too many inconsistencies if you asked me.

Ivan

Steve88
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:27 am

Next time I bring my airport ID and go back in and wave to them from the other side of the fence!  Smile
It's good there is some kind of security but they prioritize the wrong things and in a bad way. There are many things you COULD say about the Italian police...

senorcarnival

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:21 am

I don't know how your airport/police department do things in your respective countries, but I'd be calling the appropriate authorities and let them know that their officers are a bit too keen in kicking you guys out, and get an "official" answer in regards to such activities.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

paulinbna

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:28 am

Send letters and make phone calls, if that does not work. Start calling the media and send the media letters also.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

skidmarks

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:51 pm

You have to be careful in cases like this as you may send the authorities the other way and they make it ILLEGAL to view from your favourite point.

Write and ask them to clarify the position, pointing out the various advantages of having enthusiasts helping with the security of the airport.

Whatever you do, don't rant, dont slang off the police or security and be polite.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ZakHH

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:05 pm

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 4):
Send letters and make phone calls, if that does not work. Start calling the media and send the media letters also.

Won't help. The public won't understand the fascination of spotting anyway, so the media would be probably more interested in depicting you as possible terrorist (a "suspicious guy watching and photographing incoming aircraft, is he planing an attack?" story will sell better than a "poor spotter is driven from airport for no reason" one).

Face it, the terrorists can claim to have won the first battle in this war. They disliked our liberal way of life for various reasons, thus they attacked it. And as a result of their attacks, our society becomes less and less liberal every day. Mission about to be accomplished, I would say.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

mxp

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:17 pm

Spotting in LIN:someone call the police,my camera was confiscated and i was by police at least 3 hours try to explain i was not a terrorist but a spotter.
This happened last week.
Than 2 days after fortunately my camera was back but was not very nice.
Alberto